A Logical Liberals Beef With the Left

Afrojim

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The casual use of American slang also offends me, as in "beef".

Ngl I'm a big fan of the term and it's responsible for the GOAT lyric: "tell your boyfriend that if he's got beef, that I'm a vegetarian and I ain't fucking scared of him"

3 hours ago, anotherchance said:

Or, as evidenced here, the problem with the left is trying to cheapen political conversations Old Firm-esque tit for tat nonsense like this which is really an attempt at shutting down debate.

I’d say the below is an accurate summation of my thoughts on many of those who present themselves as leftys, albeit not necessarily agreeing with the specific examples he gives.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/mar/11/mainstream-left-silencing-sympathetic-voices

Boy sounds like an absolute fucking weapon tbh

Or, as evidenced here, the problem with the left is trying to cheapen political conversations Old Firm-esque tit for tat nonsense like this which is really an attempt at shutting down debate.

I’d say the below is an accurate summation of my thoughts on many of those who present themselves as leftys, albeit not necessarily agreeing with the specific examples he gives.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/mar/11/mainstream-left-silencing-sympathetic-voices

Reckon his description of ‘assumption creep’ is spot on.

9 minutes ago, RedRob72 said:

Reckon his description of ‘assumption creep’ is spot on.

Thing is what actual racists do is continually bang on about these sometimes moderate issues to reinforce  their muslims/blacks/gays/women are all a bit shit and white men are the real persecuted message. Makes them sound reasonable.

Thing is what actual racists do is continually bang on about these sometimes moderate issues to reinforce  their muslims/blacks/gays/women are all a bit shit and white men are the real persecuted message. Makes them sound reasonable.

Sometimes people aren’t actually racist and are actually reasonable, and just have a slightly differing take on certain issues from the hard left, which they’d like to express.

10 minutes ago, anotherchance said:

Sometimes people aren’t actually racist and are actually reasonable, and just have a slightly differing take on certain issues from the hard left, which they’d like to express.

Certainly, it's just a bit difficult to tell from one off statements because these positions are so often used as dog whistles by the racist right. 

Certainly, it's just a bit difficult to tell from one off statements because these positions are so often used as dog whistles by the racist right. 

Think that’s why the guy is arguing for differing views to be examined/explored/probed to rather than blanket condemnation - otherwise a large number of people are being effectively silenced, as certain moderate positions are hijacked by the right.

If there’s one the right has been in the last decade it’s silenced. Silenced in their newspaper columns, silenced on the BBC, silenced at the ballot box, silenced in referenda and silenced online. It’s a tough time to be on the right.

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

If there’s one the right has been in the last decade it’s silenced. Silenced in their newspaper columns, silenced on the BBC, silenced at the ballot box, silenced in referenda and silenced online. It’s a tough time to be on the right.

Really? The Telegraph, Mail, Express, Sun? Fox, RT? BBC giving UKIP space to embarrass themselves every fucking Question Time? 

Erm.. may have been whooshed..

I didn’t say the right have been been silenced, I’m saying many who AREN’T on the right but who hold even vaguely moderately different views from many on the left are being silenced, because the left assume they’re on the right.

On ‎21‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 07:13, Afrojim said:

This is the reason why I used the LGBTQ+ community as an example. The majority of Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual people (but not all of them) claim that the reason they are not heterosexual is fundamentally rooted in biology, that their identity is objective - they have no choice in the matter they were, to use the common phrase, "born that way". The majority of Transgender people (but not all of them) claim that identity is purely subjective personal preference, that identity is not rooted in biology or beyond their control, that they can transform their identity as they see fit.

[Citation Needed]

Archived