Say Sue Me - Where We Were Together

Beach House - 7

Gruff Rhys - Babelberg

808INK - When I'm About, You'll Know

Peach Kelli Pop - Gentle Leader

I Fight Lions - Be Sy'n Wir?

Black Moth Super Rainbow- Panic Blooms

Y Niwl - 5

I know I've said it before but the Say Sue Me album is awesome, easily my favourite on the list. They are playing Glasgow in October. Annoyingly, it's the same week as the Beach House gig in Manchester and I can't go to both.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was probably one of the ones to mention Beach House already, but I'd rate it the best of the three. It's very ... uh ... Beach House, it's not any kind of radical departure from their earlier stuff but it's very good.
Sunflower Bean I like too, wouldn't want to put you off them. I think it was one of the cases where the pre-release singles were so good I ended up judging the album by too high a standard - it's good but maybe not quite the absolute belter I'd been hoping for.
Anyway, given the various bands you've mentioned I reckon you'll also want to keep an eye out for the forthcoming Metric album, from which the first track was released the other day. Should be right up your street: 

They sound pretty good, cheers.

19 hours ago, Yoss said:

I was probably one of the ones to mention Beach House already, but I'd rate it the best of the three. It's very ... uh ... Beach House, it's not any kind of radical departure from their earlier stuff but it's very good.

Sunflower Bean I like too, wouldn't want to put you off them. I think it was one of the cases where the pre-release singles were so good I ended up judging the album by too high a standard - it's good but maybe not quite the absolute belter I'd been hoping for.

Anyway, given the various bands you've mentioned I reckon you'll also want to keep an eye out for the forthcoming Metric album, from which the first track was released the other day. Should be right up your street: 

One of my favourite bands, album pre-ordered and tix for the QMU in November! :thumsup2

Plus Emily Haines :wub:

Updated list probably looks like this.

1. The Wonder Years - Sister Cities
2. Trash Boat - Crown Sadness
3. The Xcerts - Hold On To Your Heart
4. Brian Fallon - Sleepwalkers
5. Frank Turner - Be More Kind
6. Moby - Everything Was Beautiful, and Nothing Hurt
7. Ducking Punches - Alamort

I haven't included Kids See Ghosts as it's only 7 songs but it's pretty great.

I expect there to be a lot of movement in my list with Alkaline Trio, Rise Against, The Offspring, Deaf Havana, Trophy Eyes and WSTR (and probably more I've forgotten) all set to release albums this year.
Few more releases to add to this now.

1. The Wonder Years - Sister Cities
2. Trash Boat - Crown Sadness
3. The Xcerts - Hold On To Your Heart
4. Slaves - Acts of Fear and Love
5. Deaf Havana - RITUALS
6. Brian Fallon - Sleepwalkers
7. Massive Wagons - Full Nelson
8. Frank Turner - Be More Kind
9. Moby - Everything Was Beautiful, and Nothing Hurt
10. Ducking Punches - Alamort

Finally got enough for a top 10 and there's still loads more to come. Commonwealth announced their debut album yesterday and if it loves up to their precious releases it has serious AOTY potential.

Updated top 10:

1. The Fratellis - In Your Own Sweet Time
2. Kathryn Joseph - From When I Wake The Want Is
3. Death Cab For Cutie - Thank You For Today
4. The Dead Tongues - Unsung Passage
5. The Milk Carton Kids - All The Things That I Did and All The Things That I Didn’t Do
6. Hookworms - Microshift
7. Sons Of Bill - Oh God Ma’am
8. Harrison Whitford - Afraid Of Everything
9. Danny Goffey - Schtick
10. Death By Unga Bunga - So Far So Good So Cool

I find it hard to pick a top 10, here are some of my favourites so far -

• Boony Doon - Longwave
  • Confidence Man - Confident Music For Confident People
  • Daron Malakian and Scars On Broadway - Dictator
  • Eels - The Deconstruction
  • Fenne Lily - On Hold
  • Frank Turner - Be More Kind
  • King Tuff - The Other
  • Neko Case - Hell-On
  • Phantastic Ferniture - Phantastic Ferniture
  • Tracyanne & Danny - Tracyanne & Danny
  • Turbowolf - The Free Life
  • Wild Pink - Yolk In The Fur

Looking forward to upcoming albums/tours from Nothing, Metric and Clutch.

Enjoying the new Interpol album.

The mood of the album is pretty full on. My only criticism is that it misses a slow track just to ease things a bit (Hands Away, NYC, The New for example...)

Some stand outs though and a strong 8.5/10 after listening over the weekend.

Cant get If you really love nothing (the above video I posted) out my head.

Now You See Me at Work could have been on TOTBL.

Flight of Fancy, Stay in Touch also excellent.

Definitely my favourite of 2018 so far and lived up to expectations given the reviews pre-release.

Edit to add:

Another listen tonight all the way through uninterrupted and now used to the songs.

Love albums that have a great closing song.

However, It Probably Matters must be up there with one of the worst songs Interpol have ever done, which definitely spoils it somewhat.....

Arcade Fire - Everything Now, was the last decent album released, and that was over a year ago. I do not think I can choose one for 2018, all a bit drab.  Even my favourite band the Foos was last year! 

Arcade Fire - Everything Now, was the last decent album released, and that was over a year ago. I do not think I can choose one for 2018, all a bit drab.  Even my favourite band the Foos was last year! 
There has been lots of good albums released this year in various genres (many of which are listed in this thread). I suppose it's a matter of preference but to claim all the albums released this year are "all a bit drab" is ludicrous.

9 hours ago, 50/50 Winner said:
On 27/08/2018 at 20:56, AAFCSim said:

There has been lots of good albums released this year in various genres (many of which are listed in this thread). I suppose it's a matter of preference but to claim all the albums released this year are "all a bit drab" is ludicrous.

Yes you are correct, I should have said none have really stood out for me. This is why I love music, it is all individual taste, and you have shamed me, as I have not read the thread (yet)

On 24/05/2018 at 21:23, Gianfranco said:

I didn’t know the fratellis were still a thing. I’ll give it a listen.

Yeah they split up, as mr Fratellis did his own stuff, they reformed, or got it back together last year. Always a good lively band to listen to. 

Archived