Album of 2018

Gaz Coombes, ex Supergrass has a new album "Worlds Strongest Man" Its not immediate but over a few listens slowly hooks you and pulls you in. That and Kacey Musgraves' Golden Hour never off my turntable.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

So far I'd probably go with:

1. Brian Fallon - Sleepwalkers.
  2. The Wonder Years - Sister Cities
  3. Alkaline Trio - Is This Thing Cursed?
  4. The XCERTS - Hold on to Your Heart
  5. American Aquarium - Things Change
  6. Broken Records - What We Might Know
  7. Spiritualized - And Nothing Hurt
  8. Lucero  - Among The Ghosts
  9. Sons of Bill - Oh God Ma'am
  10. Embrace - Love is a Basic Need 

Also quite liked some of the Middle Kids and Blackberry Smoke albums.

Bit of a mid-year lull for me.  Not really heard anything essential of a while.  The new one by the singer from Big Thief should be good, but I've literally heard nothing from it.  Didn't seem to get much of a promotional push.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's been a terrific year for Australian music imo, great albums from Confidence Man, Middle Kids, Phantastic Ferniture(which led me to Julia Jacklins excellent solo album), Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever and Parcels. 

Just a shame Courtney Barnett fell foul the second album curse, huge disappointment there!

Australia is the new Canada in my music collection. 8)

It's been a terrific year for Australian music imo, great albums from Confidence Man, Middle Kids, Phantastic Ferniture(which led me to Julia Jacklins excellent solo album), Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever and Parcels. 
Just a shame Courtney Barnett fell foul the second album curse, huge disappointment there!
Australia is the new Canada in my music collection. 8)

I prefer the second album. Courtney’s talk-singing on the first record annoyed the hell out of me.

That she sings on most of the second one allowed me to enjoy her lyrics.

11 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I prefer the second album. Courtney’s talk-singing on the first record annoyed the hell out of me.

That she sings on most of the second one allowed me to enjoy her lyrics.

Thats part of the problem, I just don't think she has a particularly nice singing voice and there's no stand out tunes on the album either. It all feels a bit po-faced and lacks the fun of the debut, I know that's not the popular opinion, probably haven't given it a fair chance due to the lack of immediacy and there's so many other albums I'd rather be listening to.

On 07/11/2018 at 18:30, Tommy Nooka said:

Thats part of the problem, I just don't think she has a particularly nice singing voice and there's no stand out tunes on the album either. It all feels a bit po-faced and lacks the fun of the debut, I know that's not the popular opinion, probably haven't given it a fair chance due to the lack of immediacy and there's so many other albums I'd rather be listening to.

Yeah, I wouldn't take issue with any of that.   I'm really not as into her stuff as many of my friends are.  

Archived