Album of 2018

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/12/2018 at 19:26, BallochSonsFan said:

Not sure this year has been great so far. A few albums that have been good enough but not nearly enough absolute stand outs for me. My end of year list will probably include:

Alela Diane - Cusp. (Stand out album of the year so far)

Anna Burch - Quit The Curse

Breeders - All Nerve

Carter Sampson - Lucky

Courtney Marie Andrews - May Your Kindness Remain

I'm With Her - See You Around

Jess Williamson - Cosmic Wink

Laura Veirs - The Lookout

Neko Case - Hell On

The Orielles - Silver Dollar Moment

Sam Morrow - Concrete and Mud

Sarah Shook and the Disarmers - Years

Not absolutely crazy about the new albums by The Decemberists or Eleanor Friedberger. They're good but not that good compared with previous efforts. I quite like the Goat Girl album and Belly's latest but not enough to be in the year's best. I'm expecting the new Milk Carton Kids album to be really good and I wouldn't rule out a new Drive By Truckers album before the end of the year.

If All Nerve is on your list by the end of this year it will have been a shit year for music.  I like The Breeders but that is NOT a very good album.

On 28/06/2018 at 21:51, The_Judge said:

If All Nerve is on your list by the end of this year it will have been a shit year for music.  I like The Breeders but that is NOT a very good album.

It's no Last Splash, but it's no Mountain Battles either.

On 6/29/2018 at 00:50, Mayor Wilkins III said:

So it turned out to be okay. Still looking forward to her Brixton show though.

Yeah, underwhelming would be my choice of adjective.  I absolutely loved the bleak/divorce/woe-is-me semi-acoustic album she did.  This one doesn't come close.  

• 2 weeks later...

Updated list probably looks like this.

1. The Wonder Years - Sister Cities
2. Trash Boat - Crown Sadness
3. The Xcerts - Hold On To Your Heart
4. Brian Fallon - Sleepwalkers
5. Frank Turner - Be More Kind
6. Moby - Everything Was Beautiful, and Nothing Hurt
7. Ducking Punches - Alamort

I haven't included Kids See Ghosts as it's only 7 songs but it's pretty great.

I expect there to be a lot of movement in my list with Alkaline Trio, Rise Against, The Offspring, Deaf Havana, Trophy Eyes and WSTR (and probably more I've forgotten) all set to release albums this year.

Ducking Punches effort was brilliant I thought. 
Thought Moby's was a huge downgrade on the Void Pacific Choir stuff.
Definitely their best stuff to date imo. It's mad that they're playing their 1000th show in a couple months, they still feel like a 'new/upcoming' band.
Moby's album isn't near his best but I still reckon it's a solid album.

The new single from The 1975 is absolutely out of this world. It sounds very similar to "The Downtown Lights" by The Blue Nile, which is no bad thing at all.

I'm really looking forward to their new album dropping. They're probably the best band in the country just now.

I have an ever-growing list of music that I want to buy, it’s a mixture of stuff that I’ve known about before but haven’t - for whatever reason - bought yet and new stuff.

Sunflower Bean, Beach House and Dream Wife have both brought albums out this year and are at the top of said list.

I think Beach House have had a couple of mentions here, anyone got the other two?

6 hours ago, smpar said:

I have an ever-growing list of music that I want to buy, it’s a mixture of stuff that I’ve known about before but haven’t - for whatever reason - bought yet and new stuff.

Sunflower Bean, Beach House and Dream Wife have both brought albums out this year and are at the top of said list.

I think Beach House have had a couple of mentions here, anyone got the other two?

Sunflower Bean is great.  Totally stepped it up from the first record.  Bobby Dylan Jr. only takes lead on a couple of (weaker) songs.  The other one has really, erm, blossomed as a pretty voracious lead singer.  Bit more of a straight up indie rock album, despite the first single having a Fleetwood Mac feel.  It'll be in my year end top five, I'd imagine.

Sunflower Bean is great.  Totally stepped it up from the first record.  Bobby Dylan Jr. only takes lead on a couple of (weaker) songs.  The other one has really, erm, blossomed as a pretty voracious lead singer.  Bit more of a straight up indie rock album, despite the first single having a Fleetwood Mac feel.  It'll be in my year end top five, I'd imagine.

Cheers, that’s really encouraging. They supported a Wolf Alice gig I went to last year but we didn’t bother with the support acts, got a feeling I’ll be wishing I had.

17 hours ago, smpar said:

I was probably one of the ones to mention Beach House already, but I'd rate it the best of the three. It's very ... uh ... Beach House, it's not any kind of radical departure from their earlier stuff but it's very good.

Sunflower Bean I like too, wouldn't want to put you off them. I think it was one of the cases where the pre-release singles were so good I ended up judging the album by too high a standard - it's good but maybe not quite the absolute belter I'd been hoping for.

Anyway, given the various bands you've mentioned I reckon you'll also want to keep an eye out for the forthcoming Metric album, from which the first track was released the other day. Should be right up your street: 

Archived