24 year old adolescents

ICTChris

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

That first part is a load of pish. Living away from home and budgeting and looking after yourself, like most folk at uni do, is a big help in 'growing up'. I know plenty of people, including some in my current office, who have a degree and who cope fine with working 9-5 and at doing the actual job.

You've just massively generalised, most likely based on your experience of a few folk.

Utter shite.

House prices are stupid though

I don't think the first part is either a load of pish or a generalisation.  He said it can stop kids from growing up. My experience with students leads me to agree with many this is the case. Not all - but many. 

Anyway. I would say I didn't feel like a proper adult until I moved away from my mum 18 months ago (25 at the time). I've been in a decent full time job for 5 years but frankly was living too easy a life. Few bills, relying on her to do washing, cooking, alarms for work etc. I'm glad I moved out when I did for myself, it wasn't even that hard a transition I just needed to get into my own routine. If I ever bothered about saving instead of getting pished and hole chasing in my late teens and early 20s I could have bought my own place a bit earlier but yeah I was basically living like a teenager until I moved out. 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just read the vlogger one. Holy f**k. She wants a freebie in a popular hotel over valentines weekend for her and her boyfriend for exposure.
She didn't do much research on the guy who runs it

http://www.dublinlive.ie/incoming/dublin-caf-causes-controversy-demanding-11844685
Demanding coeliac notes from. Doctors for gluten free, banning vegans and suggesting crying babies are given vallium

22 minutes ago, weirdcal said:

Just read the vlogger one. Holy f**k. She wants a freebie in a popular hotel over valentines weekend for her and her boyfriend for exposure.
She didn't do much research on the guy who runs it

http://www.dublinlive.ie/incoming/dublin-caf-causes-controversy-demanding-11844685
Demanding coeliac notes from. Doctors for gluten free, banning vegans and suggesting crying babies are given vallium

I'm liking this guy the more I hear about him!

7 hours ago, GiGi said:

I don't think the first part is either a load of pish or a generalisation.  He said it can stop kids from growing up. My experience with students leads me to agree with many this is the case. Not all - but many. 

Anyway. I would say I didn't feel like a proper adult until I moved away from my mum 18 months ago (25 at the time). I've been in a decent full time job for 5 years but frankly was living too easy a life. Few bills, relying on her to do washing, cooking, alarms for work etc. I'm glad I moved out when I did for myself, it wasn't even that hard a transition I just needed to get into my own routine. If I ever bothered about saving instead of getting pished and hole chasing in my late teens and early 20s I could have bought my own place a bit earlier but yeah I was basically living like a teenager until I moved out. 

Actually if you read back he says it does stop kids from growing up, which is patently nonsense, ad a clear generalisation. My experience with students is that about 80% of those I know are now in decent jobs, working their way up, and I'd say are functioning adults - know some folk from uni that I wouldn't trust to make me a tea, but to generalise to all or even many is nonsense. Whereas the people around my age I know work with/know that didn't go to uni are far more juvenile, still living with parents and struggle with basic things like timekeeping and dressing appropriately for work. That's obviously a generalisation that I wouldn't make about all non-graduates as well though, as it's just my limited experience.

It depends on the individual as always. Some go to uni with a passion for the subject they are studying and are interested in the experience of meeting new people from different places, excited about being away from home for the first time and want to partake in all social and extra curricular activity possible and will leave uni much richer for the experience.

Then you get the types who just go to uni because they feel pressured into it and that it’s their only chance of getting a decent job. They tend to be the types who get stuck in a rut and do the bare minimum and spend their spare time out drinking all the time and end up with a 2:2 degree after having to do a load of resits.

Most people of course, fall somewhere in the middle of that and have pretty easy ride for 4 years and then manage to adapt to life in the real world after a slight shock to the system.

Maturity is hard to quantify, to be able to say if kids now are more or less mature than previous generations you'd first need to set the requirements. We probably all have a different take on what it means.  Its something that doesn't happen overnight, you sort of grow into it, with several relapses along the way and its overrated anyway. :P

The reaction on here tells me that there is some sort of uni entitlement and immaturity in some graduates. Yes I did make a sweeping generalisation and I do value education if it's appropriate for the job. It does seem that you HAVE to get a degree to progress in most workplaces these days and this issue was raised by one of the original posters. It can be a way to avoid properly working for some and growing up rather than actually doing something appropriate.
I have a relative with a degree in politics who became an estate agent. I'm guessing if he had worked in a newsagents he would have been told to bolt but the degree got him the job. Why?

Why shouldn't folk do something they like rather than be bored in a shitey job? Working for many is shit and they only do it because they would be living on the streets if they didn't. Certainly if I could afford it I'd never work again. It seems like folk are brainwashed in to thinking that work is some big deal, with folk who don't work utterly demonised.

On 1/19/2018 at 18:26, Torpar said:

My girlfriend's sister (who lives with us) doesn't clean, doesn't cook (but watches cooking shows all day), has mood swings and a short temper leading to her slamming her bedroom door all the time, you can't see the floor of said bedroom, doesn't look after her own dog properly and she works at McDonald's. A 25 year old teenager

This is a fucked up situation

I have a relative with a degree in politics who became an estate agent. I'm guessing if he had worked in a newsagents he would have been told to bolt but the degree got him the job. Why?

Because they’ve shown they can meet deadlines and targets, manage their time and workload, communicate effectively with people from a variety of backgrounds, work as part of a team, understand complex concepts and that they can stick at something that gets progressively more difficult over four years.

1 minute ago, lubo_blaha said:

Because they’ve shown they can meet deadlines and targets, manage their time and workload, communicate effectively with people from a variety of backgrounds, work as part of a team, understand complex concepts and that they can stick at something that gets progressively more difficult over four years.

Doesn't that apply to working in a newsagents?

The vlogger is a c**t and the TV boy is shite at sex.

In my experience the generation coming through have over inflated and unrealistic expectations of how life is for the vast majority of people. This, to me, is caused by a huge number of factors, many of which seem trivial and inconsequential, though plenty of them or obvious. There is also a growing number who seem to feel that it is an unalienable right not to be offended by things.

The main cause to me is a lack of perspective. People are now getting older before "real life" affects them and teaches them the lessons that previous generations were receiving far earlier in life. Many of the "life lessons" are now glossed over to a far greater extent than in the past also, which doesn't help.

In short, f**k them, they'll just need to learn the hard way.

FWIW, I have no issue with the vlogger being cheeky enough to ask for the freebie. I like that gallusness. You don't ask, you don't get. You need to be prepared to be told no though.

Whilst most 'vloggers' do seem like c***s, I'd absolutely love to be well paid to spraff shite instead of working a 'real job', and if that means some guys on forums say I need to 'grow up' then I would be laughing hysterically whilst counting my money.

Whilst most 'vloggers' do seem like c***s, I'd absolutely love to be well paid to spraff shite instead of working a 'real job', and if that means some guys on forums say I need to 'grow up' then I would be laughing hysterically whilst counting my money.

I would pay good money to watch your vlogs anyway.

Archived