24 year old adolescents

ICTChris

23 minutes ago, Torpar said:

My girlfriend's sister (who lives with us) doesn't clean, doesn't cook (but watches cooking shows all day), has mood swings and a short temper leading to her slamming her bedroom door all the time, you can't see the floor of said bedroom, doesn't look after her own dog properly and she works at McDonald's. A 25 year old teenager

^^^Goes in the room looking for knickers.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I think that some of the behaviour on those links is pathetic, particularly the vlogger, who may only be 22 but has the brass neck of a forty five year old.  However, there is something in this - when my father was 24 he was married, he'd moved from the Scottish Borders to the Shetland Islands for work and then onto Aberdeen, where he'd bought his first house.  That was a pretty normal sort of life in the 1960s.  There's literally no way that someone from my father's background would have achieved any of that today - he wouldn't have been able to get the job he had without a degree and he would've needed savings of high five figures for his deposit to buy a house in Aberdeen.

Can we blame people in their early 20s for being infantalised if adult life (owning a house, having a family, having a career etc) is unobtainable?  It's like there's a second adolescence where people play at being at adults but without the responsibility.

Two very important points there that are crucial in the lack of development of young people. Ironically getting a degree stops kids from growing up, they can continue an adolescent lifestyle and avoiding responsibility. When they do come into the workplace unsurprisingly they can't cope with 9-5 and are miles behind their peers in terms of actually being able to do the job but this doesn't seem to matter to management who only see the same meaningless piece of paper that also helped them climb on the back of harder working colleagues.

There is plenty of jobs that require degrees and good education but there's far too much emphasis based on seeking graduates for the sake of it and it has totally devalued the entire system.

House prices also contribute to it, how can a hard working family on low wages afford anything decent? 

1 hour ago, D.A.F.C said:

Two very important points there that are crucial in the lack of development of young people. Ironically getting a degree stops kids from growing up, they can continue an adolescent lifestyle and avoiding responsibility. When they do come into the workplace unsurprisingly they can't cope with 9-5 and are miles behind their peers in terms of actually being able to do the job but this doesn't seem to matter to management who only see the same meaningless piece of paper that also helped them climb on the back of harder working colleagues.

There is plenty of jobs that require degrees and good education but there's far too much emphasis based on seeking graduates for the sake of it and it has totally devalued the entire system.

House prices also contribute to it, how can a hard working family on low wages afford anything decent? 

That first part is a load of pish. Living away from home and budgeting and looking after yourself, like most folk at uni do, is a big help in 'growing up'. I know plenty of people, including some in my current office, who have a degree and who cope fine with working 9-5 and at doing the actual job.

You've just massively generalised, most likely based on your experience of a few folk.

Utter shite.

House prices are stupid though

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

That first part is a load of pish. Living away from home and budgeting and looking after yourself, like most folk at uni do, is a big help in 'growing up'. I know plenty of people, including some in my current office, who have a degree and who cope fine with working 9-5 and at doing the actual job.

You've just massively generalised, most likely based on your experience of a few folk.

Utter shite.

House prices are stupid though

Was about to post the same but you summed it up perfectly. There's plenty of examples of people like he describes, but it's a huge generalisation.

Archived