24 year old adolescents

ICTChris

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, The Master said:

So she makes a self-entitled almost demand to the hotel; they refuse and post an anonymised version of their response; she then publicly admits she was the target of the response.

But the backlash she's getting is the hotel's fault?

Jesus Christ. 

I saw that - the hotel had blacked out her name when they posted the response, but she chose to go online with the worst case of pinkeye I've ever seen to mewl about it and basically outed herself as its recipient.  

Spectacular OG, especially when she apparently arbitrarily claimed that the cut-off date for understanding social media is 30, which by my calculations means she's got about seven years left before she has to go and get a real fucking job.

Since when was trying to scam some free shit an offer of a "collaboration"?  I'll need to bear in mind the next time some jakey tries to bum money off me in the street...he's actually pitching me a concept.

I think that some of the behaviour on those links is pathetic, particularly the vlogger, who may only be 22 but has the brass neck of a forty five year old.  However, there is something in this - when my father was 24 he was married, he'd moved from the Scottish Borders to the Shetland Islands for work and then onto Aberdeen, where he'd bought his first house.  That was a pretty normal sort of life in the 1960s.  There's literally no way that someone from my father's background would have achieved any of that today - he wouldn't have been able to get the job he had without a degree and he would've needed savings of high five figures for his deposit to buy a house in Aberdeen.
Can we blame people in their early 20s for being infantalised if adult life (owning a house, having a family, having a career etc) is unobtainable?  It's like there's a second adolescence where people play at being at adults but without the responsibility.

The latter part is probably where I am, I’m 26 and still living with parents, only properly started maturing and thinking of my future in the last 2 years I think.

54 minutes ago, throbber said:

My perceptions of the world changed, it didn’t really happen from “growing up” as people constantly told me I needed to do though.

They never do mate, regardless of age. It's important to keep evolving (alongside the World) as a person throughout your life otherwise you'll end up a bitter, grumpy old man like Granny Danger!

4 hours ago, ICTChris said:

This report made me think of another couple of stories that have appeared in the last few days.  One is about 22 year old vlogger Elle Darby, who wrote to a Dublin hotel asking for free accommodation in return for publicity on social media.  The hotel did not react well and have now banned all such guests.  A fair enough response to a rather cheeky piece of freeloading, but Darby responded by claiming that the hotel was bullying her and that she, a 22 year old, was being bulled by people in their 30s.  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5283551/YouTube-vlogger-accuses-Dublin-hotel-bullying-her.html  What's interesting to me, is that she used her age as a counter point to the hotel - Darby also claimed that the hotel was preventing "the younger generation from doing what they enjoy".

My wife and I spent a few days in New York a couple of years ago and we were staying in a very nice hotel in Greenwich Village.  I was sitting in the bar/reception area waiting on my wife coming down the stairs from the room.  It was quiet and there was just me and the manager behind the desk.  The way it was laid out, i don't think he could see me as the couch i was sitting in was on a mezzanine floor on the way down to the main bar restaurant bit.

A young woman came in and stoated straight up to the desk and started a spiel about who she was and that she had a "lifestyle blog" and was doing a piece about hotels in the area.  She then told, not asked, the manager that he would give her a penthouse suite and a tab behind the bar or she would post an awful write up of the place and say that the staff were rude etc etc etc.  The manager thought about this for a second and then, so she was left in no doubt, told her to get the f**k out of his hotel before he called the police.

At this point I burst out laughing, which gave the game away that I had been there and listened in.  She started hurling abuse at him and me threatening all sorts of online retribution.  Once she'd pissed off he came down and apologised for his use of coarse language in front of a paying customer.  I just started laughing and assured him it was fine and that I thought he did well to hold off as long as he did and not physically fire her out into the street.

My missus was very confused when she came down and was told that our dinner and drinks were on the house for the night.

Smashing hotel, by the way.  It was called The Jade when we were there, but is now called The Walker Hotel.

3 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

My wife and I spent a few days in New York a couple of years ago and we were staying in a very nice hotel in Greenwich Village.  I was sitting in the bar/reception area waiting on my wife coming down the stairs from the room.  It was quiet and there was just me and the manager behind the desk.  The way it was laid out, i don't think he could see me as the couch i was sitting in was on a mezzanine floor on the way down to the main bar restaurant bit.

A young woman came in and stoated straight up to the desk and started a spiel about who she was and that she had a "lifestyle blog" and was doing a piece about hotels in the area.  She then told, not asked, the manager that he would give her a penthouse suite and a tab behind the bar or she would post an awful write up of the place and say that the staff were rude etc etc etc.  The manager thought about this for a second and then, so she was left in no doubt, told her to get the f**k out of his hotel before he called the police.

At this point I burst out laughing, which gave the game away that I had been there and listened in.  She started hurling abuse at him and me threatening all sorts of online retribution.  Once she'd pissed off he came down and apologised for his use of coarse language in front of a paying customer.  I just started laughing and assured him it was fine and that I thought he did well to hold off as long as he did and not physically fire her out into the street.

My missus was very confused when she came down and was told that our dinner and drinks were on the house for the night.

Smashing hotel, by the way.  It was called The Jade when we were there, but is now called The Walker Hotel.

You paid that lassie $10 to do that, so you could intervene and get a free dinner and drinks from the hotel.  You freeloading scumbag.

The 'Give me free stuff or I'll trash you on Social Media' tactic is very much a thing and isn't limited to young people. It's becoming a challenge for a lot of small businesses who simply can't afford to be giving stuff away and yet, don't want to risk the damage bad reviews can cause. Even if potential customers don't read them, the drop in Star Ratings can be critical.

Re the hotel in the original post. I suspect the reason this garnered so much attention was due to the Manager responding in such a comically abusive manner. He did black out the pest's name in his screenshots but wasn't particularly meticulous about it and people were able to read her name by lightening the image. What's more than a bit depressing is how many people are taking "her" side on the issue. He "should" have accommodated her demands and his business will suffer as a result. Bleh.

As for the question of whether young people today are less grown up than their forebears; part of me would like to get all Daily Mail Comment Section on it but really, I was pretty immature myself until I was well into my twenties. In my case it mainly took the form of endless drunkenness but looking back, there isn't too much I regret. Although there was that night on holiday in Newquay... 

18 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

The 'Give me free stuff or I'll trash you on Social Media' tactic is very much a thing and isn't limited to young people. It's becoming a challenge for a lot of small businesses who simply can't afford to be giving stuff away and yet, don't want to risk the damage bad reviews can cause. Even if potential customers don't read them, the drop in Star Ratings can be critical.

Re the hotel in the original post. I suspect the reason this garnered so much attention was due to the Manager responding in such a comically abusive manner. He did black out the pest's name in his screenshots but wasn't particularly meticulous about it and people were able to read her name by lightening the image. What's more than a bit depressing is how many people are taking "her" side on the issue. He "should" have accommodated her demands and his business will suffer as a result. Bleh.

As for the question of whether young people today are less grown up than their forebears; part of me would like to get all Daily Mail Comment Section on it but really, I was pretty immature myself until I was well into my twenties. In my case it mainly took the form of endless drunkenness but looking back, there isn't too much I regret. Although there was that night on holiday in Newquay... 

That's a fair point - you see it a lot on Facebook and reviewing sites where people (of all ages) complain about tinpot things, clearly angling for some compo.  There was a viral social media complaint about a hotel in Inverness not serving a disabled adult childrens meals as part of a deal a few years back, total outrage material. 

53 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

My employer get that sort of comment on its' FB and Twitter pages all the time "I've never used you before, and I certainly won't now, from reading this person's experience!!!1!"

Thanks, we've done ok without your business up until now, and will do in the future.  Plus, if you're the sort to go visiting pages of companies you've never used, just to find things to be upset about, I'm quite glad we won't have to have you as a customer.

2 hours ago, sjc said:

They never do mate, regardless of age. It's important to keep evolving (alongside the World) as a person throughout your life otherwise you'll end up a bitter, grumpy old man like Granny Danger!

Bad news pal; most of you are going to end up like me.

Terrible thought isn't it.  :)

Bad news pal; most of you are going to end up like me.
Terrible thought isn't it.  [emoji4]

To think, the people who I will be having petty squabbles with by the time I’m in my 60’s won’t even be born yet.

My girlfriend's sister (who lives with us) doesn't clean, doesn't cook (but watches cooking shows all day), has mood swings and a short temper leading to her slamming her bedroom door all the time, you can't see the floor of said bedroom, doesn't look after her own dog properly and she works at McDonald's. A 25 year old teenager

Archived