24 year old adolescents

ICTChris

An article in Lancet Child and Adolescent Health journal has recommended that we redefine adolescence to cover the ages 10 to 24.  Previously most definitions of the period ran from early teens to 19 but physical changes have been children enter puberty earlier and changing social and financial considerations mean that many people are still in full-time education and/or dependent on parents until their early to mid 20s.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-42732442

This report made me think of another couple of stories that have appeared in the last few days.  One is about 22 year old vlogger Elle Darby, who wrote to a Dublin hotel asking for free accommodation in return for publicity on social media.  The hotel did not react well and have now banned all such guests.  A fair enough response to a rather cheeky piece of freeloading, but Darby responded by claiming that the hotel was bullying her and that she, a 22 year old, was being bulled by people in their 30s.  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5283551/YouTube-vlogger-accuses-Dublin-hotel-bullying-her.html  What's interesting to me, is that she used her age as a counter point to the hotel - Darby also claimed that the hotel was preventing "the younger generation from doing what they enjoy".

The other story came out in the aftermatch of Babe.net's  report on actor Aziz Ansari's sexual conduct.  The online magazine wrote an article saying that the parks and Recs actor had behaved badly while on a date with a photographer.  The piece has caused controversy, some saying it showed the hypocrisy of Ansari for weating a 'Times Up' badge to the Golden Globes while behaving poorly in private on dates himself, while others have said that the report describes a bad date rather than any crime or misconduct.  Following this debate, Ashley Banfield invited the writer of the piece on Ansari onto her show on HLN following discussions where Banfield had criticised the piece.  The writer responded with the following email - http://uk.businessinsider.com/aziz-ansari-writer-email-to-hln-ashleigh-banfield-2018-1?r=US&IR=T  Again, the email makes issue of the respective ages of the people involved, as well as the make-up and hair of the presenter, oddly.  

Do P&Bers think that people in their early 20s are effectively adolescents or should they be taken as adults and judged as such?

Do P&Bers ages less than 24 feel like adolescents or adults?

Have any P&Bers ever got a free hotel room by email offering exposure?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I certainly know a lot of people in their 20's (and even 30's, 40's, 50's and 60's) who behave like children. They should all be sent on a compulsory college course to learn how to behave like adults.

I am 27 and can't grow a decent beard (not that I particularly want to grow a beard, IMO beards are clatty, but still) so you could possibly pitch a compelling argument that I have not exited adolescence yet.

12 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Sorry to sound like an old fascist but there's this obsession these days that the pen (or should that be keyboard?) is mightier than the sword. These folk just need a good punch in the pus. 

da pen wud be mytyer than da sord if da yoofs wud stop typng lyk dis.

I think that some of the behaviour on those links is pathetic, particularly the vlogger, who may only be 22 but has the brass neck of a forty five year old.  However, there is something in this - when my father was 24 he was married, he'd moved from the Scottish Borders to the Shetland Islands for work and then onto Aberdeen, where he'd bought his first house.  That was a pretty normal sort of life in the 1960s.  There's literally no way that someone from my father's background would have achieved any of that today - he wouldn't have been able to get the job he had without a degree and he would've needed savings of high five figures for his deposit to buy a house in Aberdeen.

Can we blame people in their early 20s for being infantalised if adult life (owning a house, having a family, having a career etc) is unobtainable?  It's like there's a second adolescence where people play at being at adults but without the responsibility.

I work with a lot of apprentices between the ages of about 17-22ish and I wouldn't class any of them as adults.
There's a 21 year old guy who still needs his ma to wake him up so he gets to work on time. If his ma and da are away on holiday he stays with his granny so she gets him up.
I'm only 30 so I'm not that much older than them but there's no way I was so feckless at their age.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

This report made me think of another couple of stories that have appeared in the last few days.  One is about 22 year old vlogger Elle Darby, who wrote to a Dublin hotel asking for free accommodation in return for publicity on social media.  The hotel did not react well and have now banned all such guests.  A fair enough response to a rather cheeky piece of freeloading, but Darby responded by claiming that the hotel was bullying her and that she, a 22 year old, was being bulled by people in their 30s.  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5283551/YouTube-vlogger-accuses-Dublin-hotel-bullying-her.html  What's interesting to me, is that she used her age as a counter point to the hotel - Darby also claimed that the hotel was preventing "the younger generation from doing what they enjoy".

So she makes a self-entitled almost demand to the hotel; they refuse and post an anonymised version of their response; she then publicly admits she was the target of the response.

But the backlash she's getting is the hotel's fault?

Jesus Christ. 

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

An article in Lancet Child and Adolescent Health journal has recommended that we redefine adolescence to cover the ages 10 to 24.  Previously most definitions of the period ran from early teens to 19 but physical changes have been children enter puberty earlier and changing social and financial considerations mean that many people are still in full-time education and/or dependent on parents until their early to mid 20s.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-42732442

The other story came out in the aftermatch of Babe.net's  report on actor Aziz Ansari's sexual conduct.  The online magazine wrote an article saying that the parks and Recs actor had behaved badly while on a date with a photographer.  The piece has caused controversy, some saying it showed the hypocrisy of Ansari for weating a 'Times Up' badge to the Golden Globes while behaving poorly in private on dates himself, while others have said that the report describes a bad date rather than any crime or misconduct.  Following this debate, Ashley Banfield invited the writer of the piece on Ansari onto her show on HLN following discussions where Banfield had criticised the piece.  The writer responded with the following email - http://uk.businessinsider.com/aziz-ansari-writer-email-to-hln-ashleigh-banfield-2018-1?r=US&IR=T  Again, the email makes issue of the respective ages of the people involved, as well as the make-up and hair of the presenter, oddly.  

Do P&Bers think that people in their early 20s are effectively adolescents or should they be taken as adults and judged as such?

Do P&Bers ages less than 24 feel like adolescents or adults?

Have any P&Bers ever got a free hotel room by email offering exposure?

The hotelier in the first one blanked out her ID so the only one exposing her greed was herself. Nothing wrong with trying it on for a freebie though.

Imagine the delusion involved in trying for a freebie because you think you’re a “Social influencer”. Her audience is probably 14-16 year old girls (Calm down Tedi) so its hardly going to generate much business for the hotel.

Still, the backfire has probably worked in her favour as she’ll have lots more subscribers to her make up tutorials. 

Imagine the delusion involved in trying for a freebie because you think you’re a “Social influencer”. Her audience is probably 14-16 year old girls (Calm down Tedi) so its hardly going to generate much business for the hotel.
Still, the backfire has probably worked in her favour as she’ll have lots more subscribers to her make up tutorials. 

Agreed. She’s a 22yo vlogger. She needs clicks to raise her profile. Clicks generated by the noise on this means she wins. There’s no such thing as bad publicity....

Who’s the dafty? Those that click on her site for such pish.

48 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Have to defend some youngsters here. My kid is way more grown up, intelligent and sensible than I’ve ever been and she’s 12. 

My granddaughter is 3 and is much smarter than her mother, who is 41!

Just now, Jimbo Jagsfan said:

My granddaughter is 3 and is much smarter than her mother, who is 41!

Your granddaughter benefits from less of your genes.

Archived