What's the most "Tin Pot" thing you've seen in the SPFL

1 hour ago, LiviLion said:

I'd love nothing more than for us to only open a small corner of the ground to those two.

It was fun when Celtic couldn't beat us and there 8,000 seething glory hunters, but it's fucking shite having them fill our stadium.

I agree, I'd love it too but in the current climate, with our fanbase and budget we need to maximise our earning potential in some way.

I mean he was a great player in his day but the way the game has evolved in terms of athleticism, technical coaching, diet, sport science and psychology, I think if you parachuted a middle to top Premiership striker like Ivan Toney into the 1970 World Cup he'd be as much of a revelation.

FIFA's gonna come knocking on the door in 2045 when Messi gets run over by a bus in Rosario and 2051 when Ronaldo has a heart attack from all his steroids?

14 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

I mean he was a great player in his day but the way the game has evolved in terms of athleticism, technical coaching, diet, sport science and psychology, I think if you parachuted a middle to top Premiership striker like Ivan Toney into the 1970 World Cup he'd be as much of a revelation.

FIFA's gonna come knocking on the door in 2045 when Messi gets run over by a bus in Rosario and 2051 when Ronaldo has a heart attack from all his steroids?

You could argue that had all the innovation been available that 1970 teams would have been even better.

If your Auntie had baws...

1 hour ago, Kapowzer said:

Such a striker would be horrified by the state of the pitches, the shite boots they had to wear, the much harsher offside rule, and the fact that opponents were permitted to physically assault them in almost any way they chose with a booking only becoming a possibility once weapons had been used.

He'd pack it up i five minutes and give up.

3 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

One could also argue that, despite winning 5 world titles in the 1950s, Juan Manuel Fangio was a truly terrible racing driver because his lap times were slower than even the back markers in a modern Grand Prix

5 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

One could also argue that, despite winning 5 world titles in the 1950s, Juan Manuel Fangio was a truly terrible racing driver because his lap times were slower than even the back markers in a modern Grand Prix

Celtic won 9 in a row under Jock Stein, but only ever managed between 50 and 60pts.

Drop a top 6 club in contemporary Scottish Premiership into that league and they'd have been champions of Europe no problem IMO.

38 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Celtic won 9 in a row under Jock Stein, but only ever managed between 50 and 60pts.

Drop a top 6 club in contemporary Scottish Premiership into that league and they'd have been champions of Europe no problem IMO.

If you put Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart in front of a Moog Synthesiser he probably couldn't even turn it on. He's just not in Howard Jones class

The one thing Pelé had going for him that he wouldn't get away with now is the quality of goalkeepers, the standard of keepers even from the 80s-90s to now is night and day. He was very obviously an incredible player but no way he gets even half his total (friendlies included or not) if he has to face a proper elite level keeper nowadays, somewhat regularly back then

Edited by ATLIS

4 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

The one thing Pelé had going for him that he wouldn't get away with now is the quality of goalkeepers, the standard of keepers even from the 80s-90s to now is night and day. He was very obviously an incredible player but no way he gets even half his total (friendlies included or not) if he has to face a proper elite level keeper nowadays, somewhat regularly back then

And reserve games and training and school games. 

8 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Well not really, Fangio would still be at the top as outlined by this:

https://newatlas.com/computer-modelled-top-50-f1-drivers-of-all-time/43147/

The research has produced a top 50 best drivers list which, unlike all previous such lists, is not based solely on opinions or results statistics. In simple terms, advanced modeling has been used to assess the relative performance of the individual cars and teams each year, then taken that into account in assessing each driver's performance over his F1 career. The old adage that "first you beat your teammate" has never been truer

Anyway, this isn't on topic any more.

I'm looking forward to the day when FIFA request all nations rename one stadium the Jason Cummings Dome.