What's the most "Tin Pot" thing you've seen in the SPFL

On 12/09/2022 at 15:34, DiegoDiego said:

A chapel is just a certain type of religious building. I don't think it's usage varies particularly among different sects.

I used to live about 200m away from a Catholic chapel.

On 12/09/2022 at 15:39, Hoose Rice said:

Aye maybe your right.  Is a chapel no just a wee church or a bit of the building you do mass in? 

On 12/09/2022 at 15:43, RedEd said:

A chapel is a room used for religious worship in a larger building e.g. hospitals, schools, prisons.

It was also (inaccurately) used to refer to Catholic churches, certainly in the West anyway.

On 12/09/2022 at 16:17, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Having originally referred to a place of worship smaller than a normal church it then becomes a label for places of worship outside the mainstream which by their nature would tend to end up in smaller buildings.

It's use in Scotland for Baptists, Roman Catholics and Wesleyans is in this sense  and shouldn't be too controversial except for Roman Catholics because they think they're the mainstream and everyone else it a splitter

On 12/09/2022 at 16:57, Durnford said:

In Wales a chapel was a church without a tower or spire. Obviously large buildings such as palaces or castles may have a chapel; I think there's also one at Edinburgh airport not tied to any denomination.

On 12/09/2022 at 20:10, DiegoDiego said:

That's one use of it. It's also used for a smaller church which doesn't hold regular services or with an assigned priest/minister/whatever. There are loads of tiny chapels dotted about southern Europe.

"Where is the chapel?" would lead to different denominations/understandings if you asked for directions on the streets of Larkhall, Barra, Londonderry, Stoke or Llanelli.

Different again inside a prison, hospital, school, undertakers or 'big' church.

Even the established churches had/have 'chapels' e.g.

'proprietary chapel' (a Church of England church open for public worship but privately owned);

'chapel-of-ease' (a Church of England or Church of Scotland church built within an existing parish and not yet assigned its own territory);

etc.

EDIT: Of course individual names are also quite indiscriminate - St Giles Cathedral isn't a cathedral; Westminister Abbey isn't an abbey; Rosslyn Chapel isn't a chapel.

Edited by HibeeJibee

2 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Don't forget their inability to spell their team's name.

"CELTCS"

image.png.fa137f2de8dc9d7a8d5bb74830713d3e.png

About a year ago I sarcastically cited "if you know the history" only to have a few of the unwashed pull me up for not knowing it was "if you read it's history". Zero fcuks given from me for not knowing the exact words to another clubs song. The irony of the militant wing misspelling their own club which is about as big a rid neck as you can do really is delicious stuff.

While on the subject, some cnuts on here need to seek out the Suzy Dent etymology and linguistics forum. Learned a new word too ..... "acyrology" .... sounds much better than pedantry.

3 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Don't forget their inability to spell their team's name.

At Tynecastle we've got that Hector Nicol song to help us remember the spelling so this kind of mistake simply doesn't happen

I don't know if Highland League side Clachnacuddin F.C.  have a song but if not they should write one

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

25 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

At Tynecastle we've got that Hector Nicol song to help us remember the spelling so this kind of mistake doesn't happen

I don't know if Highland League side Clachnacuddin F.C.  have a song but if not they should write one

That Hector Nicol song, was it a double A side with a Hibs song on the other face? He did one jointly for Dundee and Dundee United, the United one including the line 'We don't fear relegation here at Tannadice, at Tannadice'. Buddies fan too.

Surely you've heard the classic Clach song:

The Lilywhites of Grant Street Park,

Saturdays we flood in,

Here’s an exclamation mark

For we are Clachnacuddin!

I think it was to the tune of The Wurzels 1978 hit The Tractor Song.

2 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

Genuinely quite surprised people think breaking into homes is funny.

It think you're being a dick for the sake of it here. You know fine well people didn't laugh directly at the nutter breaking into the palace.

18 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

It think you're being a dick for the sake of it here. You know fine well people didn't laugh directly at the nutter breaking into the palace.

How am I "being a dick", you're saying it's funny because someone broke into another person's residence because you don't like the victim.

There's absolutely nothing to celebrate here. It's weird people think it is.

11 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

How am I "being a dick", you're saying it's funny because someone broke into another person's residence because you don't like the victim.

No I'm not.

Not advocating house breaking, these people are scum, but worth remembering that if it wasn't for Fagan one of the greatest songs ever written, probably never would have been.

Life is very long when you're lonely.

Thank you.

47 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

I quite liked the Queen and I think the banner was funny. The two things aren’t mutually exclusive. I think you’re being a bit weird here too, to be honest.