What's the most "Tin Pot" thing you've seen in the SPFL

6 hours ago, Hauzen said:

Really bugs me where a commentator talks about a "93rd minute goal" in a league game. The three minutes of time added on are to bring the game approximately back up to a point where it ends after 90 minutes have been played.

What should the commentator be saying? 

Really bugs me where a commentator talks about a "93rd minute goal" in a league game. The three minutes of time added on are to bring the game approximately back up to a point where it ends after 90 minutes have been played.

Do you make this adjustment in your head throughout the game? If someone scores with 89 minutes on the clock do you count that as an 86th minute goal since the stoppages have to be factored in just in the same way?

8 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

It's 4x15 min periods, and only really at the elite level. The majority of hockey is still 2x35 min halves.

Apologies you are correct, I haven't played the game since the change.  It isn't however limited to only elite level, all senior competition in Scotland is in 4 quarters.

49 minutes ago, strichener said:

Apologies you are correct, I haven't played the game since the change.  It isn't however limited to only elite level, all senior competition in Scotland is in 4 quarters.

It's not all senior competition, unless we are using the Sportsound definition of "senior".

In the men's game, below what is effectively division 3, it is still 2x35, and in the women's game, it's below the D4 equivalent. That may change for this season, but with the leagues starting this weekend, that certainly hasn't been briefed yet. Although Scottish Hockey could easily rival the SFA in the "least organised NGB" contest, so it wouldn't be a surprise if it came out on Friday night.

If it doesn't come this season, it won't be far away though, with the latest FIH rulebook changes swapping the 2x35 with "Other timings allowed by competition regulations" to 4x15,with "etc". That was introduced in January.

ETA: I appreciate my use of the term "elite level" was also a bit generous!

Edited by Mark Connolly

8 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Two halves of 30 minutes, an independent timekeeper, and the clock stopping when play stops is the way forward.

An hour with the ball in play would be an improvement on many current games in the Scottish Premiership.

The 60 minute thing is a bit arbitrary though. 

The 1990 Scottish Cup Final, as an example, had the ball in play for 110 of the 120 minutes, according to the Sunday Mail's report. I'm not watching it to double check though, as the game was horrendous. 

We could still have the game last 90 minutes, but issue guidelines when the ball is out of play. Teams have 30 seconds (or whatever) to resume play. So you can still swan about and time waste but there's limits (and it's an automatic booking and loss of possession if you take too long). And the clock can be stopped for free kicks or substitutions. Something like that would bring some order to the game, without changing the duration too much. 

At the moment though, the timing of the game is a mess. 

On 31/08/2022 at 22:36, topcat(The most tip top) said:

a more sympathetic interpretation is possible 

It’s a truth almost universally acknowledged that Elginites* who watch the old firm on the telly should ideally be watching Elgin city live instead …

… but trying to persuade them to watch Elgin City live as well as the old firm on the telly  is a step in the right direction 

maybe some of them will come back for the Albion Rovers game the following weekend. Maybe not but it’s worth a try

* is Elginites  the right word?

The Mighty Men of Moray is the correct epithet, imho.

12 minutes ago, tamba_trio said:

The 60 minute thing is a bit arbitrary though. 

The 1990 Scottish Cup Final, as an example, had the ball in play for 110 of the 120 minutes, according to the Sunday Mail's report. I'm not watching it to double check though, as the game was horrendous. 

We could still have the game last 90 minutes, but issue guidelines when the ball is out of play. Teams have 30 seconds (or whatever) to resume play. So you can still swan about and time waste but there's limits (and it's an automatic booking and loss of possession if you take too long). And the clock can be stopped for free kicks or substitutions. Something like that would bring some order to the game, without changing the duration too much. 

At the moment though, the timing of the game is a mess. 

In those days, they could waste time by passing back to the keeper constantly

13 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, that's the worry.  

Imagine enduring all that and being barely half way through.

Some sort of extended pilot study somewhere would be interesting though.  So long as that somewhere is elsewhere, of course.

:lol:

5 hours ago, gannonball said:

I’m in favour of a ‘shorter’ game and stopping the clock when play is stopped. Time being added can so inconsistent and time wasting can suck the life out of a game at times. I fail to see any real downside of a time keeper tbh.

I dunno like the Rangers fans seemed to have a total headsgone at us last season for our time wasting so that's a real tick for me.

22 hours ago, Hauzen said:

Are you being serious?

19 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

8.15pm kick off times dictated by a TV channel nobody buys.

I have pretty much no contact with OF social media, but surely this is the kind of issue where an organised boycott is suitable. Motherwell and Dundee fans too.

Just tell them to shove it up their arse. If you go along with it, it'll happen again.