Jump to content

What's the most "Tin Pot" thing you've seen in the SPFL


Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, Squonk said:

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/richard-bath-most-successful-era-when-gate-receipts-were-split-equitably-2474456

A decent article from a decade ago on the subject of shared gate receipts and unfair voting.

That is a good piece, but also bloody depressing in that the chance was missed and none of the possible improvements were made. 

I like the link made at the end with taxation.  I always like to see 'Socialist' Celtic fans on here squirming about this, saying that "competitive" sport - they sometimes actually use the word unironically - is totally different and that it's a context in which unfettered capitalism is somehow a good thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

But that's not the case.

I'd actually prefer very tiny resources that are pooled, to what currently happens.

 

Worrying about the overall size of such income is to completely miss the point, and is the thinking that led to the creation of the disastrous SPL.  I'm much more interested in a more egalitarian game than a wealthier one.  

Correct and it’s worth remembering what a bigger tv deal actually achieves other than a slightly bigger top line for individual clubs. 

The goal is to make the league more competitive relative to other European leagues, which in turn allows our clubs to better compete in European competition. And who does most of the competing in European competition? 

It also serves to increase the brand value of the league relative to other European leagues. And again, how does the league prefer to market this brand to the world? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

. The goal is to make the league more competitive relative to other European leagues, which in turn allows our clubs to better compete in European competition. And who does most of the competing in European competition? 

I honestly don’t believe that there is many, if any, people in the hierarchy of the SPFL who hold ‘making the league more competitive’ as an important objective. I think they are quite happy using the OF as the carrot to bring in money, and having them two battling it out for the league season after season after season IS competitive in their eyes. 
 

We see it with the TV deal where it’s almost exclusively ‘diddy team at home to one of the OF’. Sky and Premier Sports don’t even try to hide the fact that they see the other 10 teams in the league as minor characters, only here to supply the OF with an opponent in order for the broadcasters to pick up OF fans subscriptions. I noticed on BT yesterday they were advertising Angers v Auxerre as one of their live games from Ligue 1. Not PSG v Lyon, or Marseille v Lille but a game between two of the ‘smaller’ clubs put out there for the world to watch. Imagine we had a TV deal that showed a match like Aberdeen v Motherwell in the opening weeks of the season? Even writing that down in black and white, our TV deal is so horrendously skewed towards two clubs having the vast majority of live games, that it’s actually unimaginable a game like that would be shown. 
 

It’s as if they are embarrassed to show games between two teams out with the OF, like having either Rangers or Celtic involved lends the live games some credibility and makes it look better for the ‘English audience’, who’s opinion our media seem to hold in such high regard.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, IrishBhoy said:

I honestly don’t believe that there is many, if any, people in the hierarchy of the SPFL who hold ‘making the league more competitive’ as an important objective. I think they are quite happy using the OF as the carrot to bring in money, and having them two battling it out for the league season after season after season IS competitive in their eyes. 
 

We see it with the TV deal where it’s almost exclusively ‘diddy team at home to one of the OF’. Sky and Premier Sports don’t even try to hide the fact that they see the other 10 teams in the league as minor characters, only here to supply the OF with an opponent in order for the broadcasters to pick up OF fans subscriptions. I noticed on BT yesterday they were advertising Angers v Auxerre as one of their live games from Ligue 1. Not PSG v Lyon, or Marseille v Lille but a game between two of the ‘smaller’ clubs put out there for the world to watch. Imagine we had a TV deal that showed a match like Aberdeen v Motherwell in the opening weeks of the season? Even writing that down in black and white, our TV deal is so horrendously skewed towards two clubs having the vast majority of live games, that it’s actually unimaginable a game like that would be shown. 
 

It’s as if they are embarrassed to show games between two teams out with the OF, like having either Rangers or Celtic involved lends the live games some credibility and makes it look better for the ‘English audience’, who’s opinion our media seem to hold in such high regard.

I think you’ve misinterpreted my post. I don’t mean the tv deal makes the domestic competition more competitive, I mean it makes the league as a whole, as a revenue generating group, more competitive with other leagues like Norway, Sweden, wherever. 

You are right, there is no desire to make the league more competitive, it is a conscious decision to position ourselves in the market as we have. We put the OF front and centre and beg sky to pay us more for it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I think you’ve misinterpreted my post. I don’t mean the tv deal makes the domestic competition more competitive, I mean it makes the league as a whole, as a revenue generating group, more competitive with other leagues like Norway, Sweden, wherever. 

You are right, there is no desire to make the league more competitive, it is a conscious decision to position ourselves in the market as we have. We put the OF front and centre and beg sky to pay us more for it. 

I went off on a bit of a tangent there but I think we are making roughly the same point. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites



I noticed on BT yesterday they were advertising Angers v Auxerre as one of their live games from Ligue 1. Not PSG v Lyon, or Marseille v Lille but a game between two of the ‘smaller’ clubs put out there for the world to watch. Imagine we had a TV deal that showed a match like Aberdeen v Motherwell in the opening weeks of the season? Even writing that down in black and white, our TV deal is so horrendously skewed towards two clubs having the vast majority of live games, that it’s actually unimaginable a game like that would be shown. 


It's obviously true that the Old Firm account for the majority of games, but Motherwell v Hibs was shown on the opening weekend of last season, and Ross County v Motherwell on the opening weekend of the previous one.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I see Ange Postecoglou is in the Times today saying that other Scottish teams need to do more in Europe.

Glasgow Celtic:

- Lost seven of fourteen games last year

- Were knocked out of three competitions

- Haven’t won a knockout tie since 2004, a date that is closer to the Chernobyl disaster than it is to the present day

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, craigkillie said:


 

 


It's obviously true that the Old Firm account for the majority of games, but Motherwell v Hibs was shown on the opening weekend of last season, and Ross County v Motherwell on the opening weekend of the previous one.

 

I didn’t know that so will row back on what I said ever so slightly. Last season however, it seemed like it was just a constant stream of ‘OF away from home’ on Sky, and I think they even passed up the opportunity of showing an Edinburgh derby and a Dundee derby as well, and as everyone is well aware of didn’t take up their full quota of live games even with a semi interesting relegation battle.

If the SPFL genuinely cared about showcasing the full league there would be stipulations in the contract with regards to Sky’s promotion of the league. Sky Sports News is a channel that’s on Freeview, almost every household in the land has access to it, and sports like Boxing, F1 and Darts use it to their advantage to build excitement and drive viewers to the channels those sports are on. Apart from Old Firm week, you would hardly know Scottish football was something that Sky Sports hold the rights to. The WSL is promoted much more than the Premiership, and teams out with the OF get a token mention every now and then. On a Sunday morning when they are showing the goals from the Saturday games they still only show the Old Firm goals and just read out the rest. They only bother to get the highlights for the other games later in the day. Scottish football genuinely does deserve better. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

I didn’t know that so will row back on what I said ever so slightly. Last season however, it seemed like it was just a constant stream of ‘OF away from home’ on Sky, and I think they even passed up the opportunity of showing an Edinburgh derby and a Dundee derby as well, and as everyone is well aware of didn’t take up their full quota of live games even with a semi interesting relegation battle.

If the SPFL genuinely cared about showcasing the full league there would be stipulations in the contract with regards to Sky’s promotion of the league. Sky Sports News is a channel that’s on Freeview, almost every household in the land has access to it, and sports like Boxing, F1 and Darts use it to their advantage to build excitement and drive viewers to the channels those sports are on. Apart from Old Firm week, you would hardly know Scottish football was something that Sky Sports hold the rights to. The WSL is promoted much more than the Premiership, and teams out with the OF get a token mention every now and then. On a Sunday morning when they are showing the goals from the Saturday games they still only show the Old Firm goals and just read out the rest. They only bother to get the highlights for the other games later in the day. Scottish football genuinely does deserve better. 

I’ve said it many times on here but the fault lies with the league and not sky. 

We allow sky to market the game anyway they please because we are just desperate to get crumbs from their table. We’ve clearly got no negotiating hand, because if we did we could turn around and say hold on, either you market our game fairly and positively or we’ll go to BT, premier sports etc.

But that just isn’t there for them. Sky will simply say the uk wide audience is only interested in two teams so we’ll pay you for broadcasting rights but this is how we’re going to do it. Sky sports don’t have any moral obligation to present Scottish football in a certain way so the league need to grow a set. But they won’t, this is the path of least resistance and keeps them ticking over. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, G51 said:

I see Ange Postecoglou is in the Times today saying that other Scottish teams need to do more in Europe.

Glasgow Celtic:

- Lost seven of fourteen games last year

- Were knocked out of three competitions

- Haven’t won a knockout tie since 2004, a date that is closer to the Chernobyl disaster than it is to the present day

We need to apologise to celtic for not pulling our weight in Europe tbf.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...