What's the most "Tin Pot" thing you've seen in the SPFL

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, very clever, but the point stands.

Wildly celebrating goals and victories that happen repetitively and have an air of inevitability about them, is a contrived nonsense.

I've never supported Celtic or Rangers but I have watched Hearts slum it in the championship which give one a vague idea of what it must be like.

I remember while watching Hearts stroll the 2015 championship we were about 3-0 up against somebody with half an hour to go (I can't remember who, it might have been Queens) and everybody sat around me were basically ignoring the game in front of them and were trying to get an internet connection to see if Rangers might drop points. I realised that this must be the standard match day experience for a Celtic supporter.

It was fun for a while but the mindset required to get yourself excited watching Rangers or Celtic beating Livingston and St Johnstone year after year seems bizarre.

I'm not saying that dominating far smaller clubs almost every week didn't have it's charms but it's a bit like having desert for every course. 

It was a lovely place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

53 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, very clever, but the point stands.

Wildly celebrating goals and victories that happen repetitively and have an air of inevitability about them, is a contrived nonsense.

I think you're underestimating the importance of winning to the average glory hunter. 

Most of us could watch our team drawing 0-0 after 85 minutes against a team we should beat and not think much more than "this is a bit shit". 

One of the cheeks doing that against a bottom six side? They'll be in turmoil about getting a slagging/not being able to lord it over diddies. Their whole worldview is evaporating, they question their place in the world, too emotionally stunted and thick to cope with the shame.

The relief when their £10m striker out-jumps a centre half on loan from the conference to score must be immense as the world slots back into place. 

16 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I've never supported Celtic or Rangers but I have watched Hearts slum it in the championship which give one a vague idea of what it must be like.

I remember while watching Hearts stroll the 2015 championship we were about 3-0 up against somebody with half an hour to go (I can't remember who, it might have been Queens) and everybody sat around me were basically ignoring the game in front of them and were trying to get an internet connection to see if Rangers might drop points. I realised that this must be the standard match day experience for a Celtic supporter.

It was fun for a while but the mindset required to get yourself excited watching Rangers or Celtic beating Livingston and St Johnstone year after year seems bizarre.

I'm not saying that dominating far smaller clubs almost every week didn't have it's charms but it's a bit like having desert for every course. 

Yes, we walked the third tier in 2013.

It was bloody boring.

15 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I think you're underestimating the importance of winning to the average glory hunter. 

Most of us could watch our team drawing 0-0 after 85 minutes against a team we should beat and not think much more than "this is a bit shit". 

One of the cheeks doing that against a bottom six side? They'll be in turmoil about getting a slagging/not being able to lord it over diddies. Their whole worldview is evaporating, they question their place in the world, too emotionally stunted and thick to cope with the shame.

The relief when their £10m striker out-jumps a centre half on loan from the conference to score must be immense as the world slots back into place. 

I think you're largely right here.

I think the mindset for many must be very different.  Triumphalism is a huge part of the appeal and they therefore can't afford to entertain thoughts of how valid or impressive any such 'triumph' actually is.

2 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Sevco yes, Celtic not so much, you obv haven't been paying attention to Livi v Celtic games since we came back up, they've only beaten us once at the Spaghettihad, i imagine their fans were quite excited when they finally managed it last season.

8 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Sevco yes, Celtic not so much, you obv haven't been paying attention to Livi v Celtic games since we came back up, they've only beaten us once at the Spaghettihad, i imagine their fans were quite excited when they finally managed it last season.

I find it difficult enough remembering livi games against Hearts never mind paying attention to your other fixtures 

12 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

The debate has entirely shifted here. The original point was celebrating late equalisers/winners. Can you name an instance when a support shouldn't celebrate wildly in that instance?

It's also interesting you mention the championship season as well. I seem to remember wild celebrations from Hearts fans at Easter Road scoring a last minute equaliser. You were 13 points clear, surely a polite applause was more appropriate?

I also remember the last game of the season. Hearts having long clinched the title celebrated wildly after Zeefuik brought them from 2 down to draw 2-2 against us in the last minute.

1 hour ago, AJF said:

The debate has entirely shifted here. The original point was celebrating late equalisers/winners. Can you name an instance when a support shouldn't celebrate wildly in that instance?

It's also interesting you mention the championship season as well. I seem to remember wild celebrations from Hearts fans at Easter Road scoring a last minute equaliser. You were 13 points clear, surely a polite applause was more appropriate?

I also remember the last game of the season. Hearts having long clinched the title celebrated wildly after Zeefuik brought them from 2 down to draw 2-2 against us in the last minute.

Debates do shift  and the point I was responding to was @Monkey Tennis suggesting a certain level of tinpottery in supporters of big rich clubs overreacting to run of the mill victories over smaller poorer clubs. 

The whole point of mentioning that Hearts Championship season was that it was indeed fun and I can see the appeal but it seems to me that a regular diet of it season after season would be like having dessert for every course.

Which only produces diabetes

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

15 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I think you're largely right here.

I think the mindset for many must be very different.  Triumphalism is a huge part of the appeal and they therefore can't afford to entertain thoughts of how valid or impressive any such 'triumph' actually is.

In the run up to us playing Sevco in the Championship all the "banter" from that lot wasn't about how much they would beat us by but just how insignificant Morton were to them. Yet, once we went 2-1 up at Ibrox, I have never seen a set of fans as furious as that in all ma days going to football matches. They were incandescent with rage that we were winning, and celebrating it, and they absolutely lost it. Between all the missiles and abuse there were folk trying to get past stewards to get over to the Morton fans in the wee corner of the stadium. Even when their (offside) equaliser went in there was no real joy from them. They were still raging we had the cheek to come to Ibrox and draw with them. 

Was fucking great.

you obv haven't been paying attention to Livi v Celtic games since we came back up, they've only beaten us once at the Spaghettihad

It's impossible to avoid with fans of your tinpot mob constantly bringing it up at the slightest opportunity.