What's the most "Tin Pot" thing you've seen in the SPFL

Guest Livifc1
1 minute ago, Raidernation said:

If you're going to start massaging figures then maybe account for the "football tourists" who just want to be seen to be at an EPL game (and I'd include a percentage of ST holders here as well. I don't believe there's anyone at a Motherwell Aberdeen game unless they actually are supporters; at, say, Arsenal v Man Utd????

Yeah lots of football tourists at league 1 Sunderland, who average 30,000 + in a city of 300,000. I’m sure their average attendances will rise this season as more tourists will be attracted to the glamour of the English championship. 

3 minutes ago, Livifc1 said:

Yeah lots of football tourists at league 1 Sunderland, who average 30,000 + in a city of 300,000. I’m sure their average attendances will rise this season as more tourists will be attracted to the glamour of the English championship. 

The population of Tyne and Wear is more than 20% of the population of Scotland.

It's not too late to back out and fess up that you haven't got a clue what you're talking about.

Mate I live just outside Edinburgh, are you stupid?

No, I'm asking what towns you mean.

For example, I live in the East Midlands. The population of this region is almost 5 million people.

So, when comparing the towns Derby, Leicester, Forest etc draw their supports from, we're talking about a catchment area with a population of almost the whole of Scotland.

Now, tell me what towns adding up to that kind of population you think Hearts, Hibs, or Aberdeen should be getting fans from.

16 minutes ago, Livifc1 said:

I wasn’t comparing Scottish teams with the rest of Europe, I was comparing Scotland teams with England. And in comparison our teams out-with the Old Firm are poorly supported. 

On an average weekend with one of the OF playing at home, from the Premiership to League 2, there is about 115,000 fans attending a game of football in Scotland. Take 50k away for whatever OF team are at home and that leaves 65,000 fans, or 1.3% of the entire Scottish population attending a game of football not involving the OF at home. 

If we compared that number to England, 1.3% of their population would be roughly 750,000. If you can be bothered to take the time to go through an average weekend last season in England, even with our two most supported teams taken away from the figures, it still doesn’t beat our attendances per head of population. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

Guest Livifc1
Just now, VincentGuerin said:

The population of Tyne and Wear is more than 20% of the population of Scotland.

It's not too late to back out and fess up that you haven't got a clue what you're talking about.

No because my argument stands. Take the Old Firm out and the rest of Scottish football is poorly supported in comparison to English teams in regard to per head of population. Tyne and Wear have 20% of Scotlands population, that’s a massive 1 million. Twice the size of Edinburgh. Ok look at Newcastle, Sunderland average attendances. Roughly adds up to over 80,000 between the pair of them. Well more than double Hibs + Hearts combined average attendances. 

11 minutes ago, Livifc1 said:

Actually you're completely wrong here too. There are plenty who, unable to get to a "big league" game will drop down just to be at an english game. Your "argument" is really, really poor.

"average 30,000 + in a city of 300,000", and then all the surrounding towns.....Sunderland is actually nearer 400,000 than 300,000 these days.

And now for some arithmetic. In the SPFL top 4 leagues there are 42 teams. Population of Scotland, est. 5,400,000. 5,400,000/42 = 128,500 (approx)

In the EFL top 4 leagues there are 92 teams. Population of England, est. 56,000,000. 56,000,000/92 = 608,700 (approx)

Can you see the GLARINGLY obvious mistake you're making?

ETA: I know that's now how support works, but it's using your guidelines af determining support by population.

(I used to live in Livingston, please get out more it's an awful, awful place)

Edited by Raidernation

No because my argument stands. Take the Old Firm out and the rest of Scottish football is poorly supported in comparison to English teams in regard to per head of population. Tyne and Wear have 20% of Scotlands population, that’s a massive 1 million. Twice the size of Edinburgh. Ok look at Newcastle, Sunderland average attendances. Roughly adds up to over 80,000 between the pair of them. Well more than double Hibs + Hearts combined average attendances. 

Well, you need to add in another 900,000 or so for the populations of Northumberland and Country Durham, neither of which have a major football team.

So, we're now up to a catchment area of around 2 million people in reality. That's pushing 40% of Scotland's population And they don't have any much bigger clubs nearby, while Hearts and Hibs have Rangers and Celtic just along the road. And they play in a much more glamorous system.

You really don't understand this at all, do you?

Guest Livifc1
13 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

On an average weekend with one of the OF playing at home, from the Premiership to League 2, there is about 115,000 fans attending a game of football in Scotland. Take 50k away for whatever OF team are at home and that leaves 65,000 fans, or 1.3% of the entire Scottish population attending a game of football not involving the OF at home. 

If we compared that number to England, 1.3% of their population would be roughly 750,000. If you can be bothered to take the time to go through an average weekend last season in England, even with our two most supported teams taken away from the figures, it still doesn’t beat our attendances per head of population. 

Your numbers don’t stack up. There are 10 premier league games on in England each weekend. What’s the average attendances to all these matches? Maybe 40-50000 thousand depending on who is at home. That’s 400000-500000 just at the top league. 
Im pretty sure the rest of the leagues average more than 250000-350000 between them, easily. 

38 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

There was an article going around 3-4 years back taking on precisely this point. Even with the OF removed, Scottish attendances per head are still very good compared to most of Europe.

100% correct, its been demonstrated that our league is - per capita - not just very good, but iirc the best in Europe.

33 minutes ago, Livifc1 said:

I wasn’t comparing Scottish teams with the rest of Europe, I was comparing Scotland teams with England. And in comparison our teams out-with the Old Firm are poorly supported. 

Utter pish, based on watching English Teams on Sky tv

Guest Livifc1
10 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Well, you need to add in another 900,000 or so for the populations of Northumberland and Country Durham, neither of which have a major football team.

So, we're now up to a catchment area of around 2 million people in reality. That's pushing 40% of Scotland's population And they don't have any much bigger clubs nearby, while Hearts and Hibs have Rangers and Celtic just along the road. And they play in a much more glamorous system.

You really don't understand this at all, do you?

Why not move the goalposts further and have the whole north of England included as hinterland for Newcastle and Sunderland 

Just now, Livifc1 said:

Why not move the goalposts further and have the whole north of England included as hinterland for Newcastle and Sunderland 

Or look at the geography. there are areas of scotland where, without making it an entire weekend holiday, it's impossible to get to a top 4 league game.

Or you could addsess my previous post where I ridiculed your thinking usuing your own metrics?

Guest Livifc1
Just now, VincentGuerin said:

Well, who do you think the people living in Tyne and Wear, Northumberland, and Durham are likely to support?

Mostly their local clubs, seems to be a bit of a culture down there

6 minutes ago, Livifc1 said:

Your numbers don’t stack up. There are 10 premier league games on in England each weekend. What’s the average attendances to all these matches? Maybe 40-50000 thousand depending on who is at home. That’s 400000-500000 just at the top league. 
Im pretty sure the rest of the leagues average more than 250000-350000 between them, easily. 

Mate, I'm going to assume you're a teenager and are just going at this aggressively to defend your (shite abomination of a ) club.

But sometimes in life it's ok to admit that you just dived into something you were unprepared to actually talk about. You've made a c**t of this and have shown that you don't understand. That's life. We've all been there.

1 minute ago, Livifc1 said:

I think you are over estimating English attendances. 12 of the 20 teams in the Premiership don’t average over 40k. Burnley, Palace, Watford, Brentford and Norwich were all around 20K. On an average weekend there is around 400k at English Premiership games. The other 3 leagues add up to roughly 280k. So even with our two most supported teams removed we have a higher attendance per head of population. It’s not even debatable.