What's the most "Tin Pot" thing you've seen in the SPFL

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Because its utterly pointless. 

Every club in the country has ambitions to make the top 6 regularly and challenge for trophies.

The only clubs who ever come out and talk about what they want to achieve are the long term under achievers. Try and join the dots.

You must be a blast at parties. This is football. Lighten up.

Interesting to see the Dundee fans responded exactly the same as the St Mirren ones by saying "why shouldn't we target top six?", however don't be tricked into thinking this is a dig at them. It's not, not at all. I have no issue with Nelms' claims. I think Dundee could make it, it's by no means guaranteed but it's equally not impossible that they might.

No, my point was for the other fans who derided claims that St Mirren would finish top six, calling them out via Nelms and seeing if they will now show equal disdain.

11 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Here's the key difference:

Nelms - "We want to be in the top six".
(Source: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/dundee-aim-for-top-six-0m7tknnhp)

Fitzpatrick - "We will be in the top six, make no mistake about it."
(Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53430255.amp)

If you know Fitzpatrick, then you will know those two statements are effectively the same thing. Nelms is quite clearly not the same type of orator as Fitzpatrick.

Edited by Ric

Only in Scotland can showing some ambition be seen as a bad thing. At the end of the day, Nelms needs to sell season tickets, strips, hospitality packages and bring in sponsors.

Does he have a better chance of achieving those goals by saying the club has ambitions to be in the top 6? Of course he does.

10 minutes ago, Ric said:

Interesting to see the Dundee fans responded exactly the same as the St Mirren ones by saying "why shouldn't we target top six?", however don't be tricked into thinking this is a dig at them. It's not, not at all. I have no issue with Nelms' claims. I think Dundee could make it, it's by no means guaranteed but it's equally not impossible that they might.

No, my point was for the other fans who derided claims that St Mirren would finish top six, calling them out via Nelms and seeing if they will now show equal disdain.

Fitzpatrick claimed St Mirren were a top 4 club who were used to winning trophies and playing in Europe.

That's why he was mocked.

36 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Every club in the country has ambitions to make the top 6 regularly and challenge for trophies.

I am not sure that is entirely accurate.

There are some clubs where reaching the Premiership is the limit of their ambitions.

e.g. I dont believe for a minute that Hamilton had ambitions outside survival in the top division. Of course, ultimately that lack of ambition might have contributed to their demise.

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Fitzpatrick claimed St Mirren were a top 4 club who were used to winning trophies and playing in Europe.

When Fitzpatrick played for us, we had a spell where we were regularly a top 4/top 6 club, so your attempt to try and spin it as if he was making outrageous claims has missed the mark.

However it's nice to see you and your ilk showing rank hypocrisy. Quite enjoyable indeed.

Edited by Ric

5 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

I am not sure that is entirely accurate.

There are some clubs where reaching the Premiership is the limit of their ambitions.

e.g. I dont believe for a minute that Hamilton had ambitions outside survival in the top division. Of course, ultimately that lack of ambition might have contributed to their demise.

I think their relegation is more down to a lack of money and shite manager, than a "lack of ambition".

4 minutes ago, Ric said:

Yeah, you've spun that as you always do, I presume in an attempt to stop you and your ilk from looking like complete hypocrites.

Screenshot_20210528-082815_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3e19f512a28701fb2b320d74fa77cf48.jpg

Screenshot_20210528-082937_Chrome.thumb.jpg.efd755d10ba9377b7388e2a3d784d92d.jpg

Yeah, I'll continue mocking Fitzpatrick if he claims St Mirren are a top 4 club who are "used to winning trophies and playing in Europe", when in the last 30 years you've achieved 1 trophy, 0 top 4 finishes, and 0 European games, m8y.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think their relegation is more down to a lack of money and shite manager, than a "lack of ambition".

I know you like to get the last word, so tell me if you think its possible that there might be cause and effect between these areas in bold? 

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Re-read my comment.

What you are trying to do is spin this away from the current top 6 claim and aim it towards the fact that Fitzpatrick reminisced when St Mirren were a top 4/6 club.

This is very typical of your interminably dull responses.

I have no issue regarding people taking the piss out of Fitzpatrick, but when Nelms makes similar claims and people like you don't even comment about them, then that is simple hypocrisy.

Edited by Ric

15 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

I know you like to get the last word, so tell me if you think its possible that there might be cause and effect between these areas in bold? 

Yeah, I'm sure if Hamilton just ambitioned really hard they'd be able to hire Guardiola and find an extra £5m in the bank.

44 minutes ago, Ric said:

Clear P&B anti-St Mirren agenda at play here, imo.

4 minutes ago, AJF said:

Clear P&B anti-St Mirren agenda at play here, imo.

It's true, it's Scotland's shame.

Ultimately, I'm just having some fun here, watching those who responded one way not reacting the same to very similar claims.

Edited by Ric

Guest TheJTS98
16 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah, I'm sure if Hamilton just ambitioned really hard they'd be able to hire Guardiola and find an extra £5m in the bank.

As is often the case, you're arguing against something nobody is arguing for.

Having a clear goal as a football club is the same as for a person. It's something against which to measure everything you do. Why have we hired this youth coach? What attributes does he have that will help us get to X? Why do we work with this scout? Etc etc.

If that goal is a little higher than necessary, then it gradually drags up the quality of what you do. Like getting better at your job.

Having it as a public statement can be useful. It provides accountability. Like telling your mates you're going to do a marathon instead of just having it in your head. It also gets people interested in what you're doing and may make you more attractive as a club. Also to fans. Hearts sold out season tickets in 05/06 on buzz before a ball was kicked.

Nobody is claiming ambition is a magic wand. But it has clear advantages to just stoating along. Hearts are just stoating along and it's pish.

Edited by TheJTS98

1 minute ago, Mr. Alli said:

@Ricmaking an arse of things again :lol:

Deelightful. 

Mr Alli following me about the forum and making the wrong conclusion, again?

"Deelightful"

You are so desperate to try and troll that you didn't even realise I was defending your chairman's aspirations.

Edited by Ric

Guest TheJTS98
15 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

The way the media are spinning Nelms' comments is rather tin pot:

Sun back

That is just plain wrong. Clear misrepresentation in the difference between 'could get ugly' and 'will get ugly'. Could and will are words with different meanings.

Also, you don't 'predict' using the word 'could'. You speculate.

Bizarre that this passes for acceptable in journalism. It's almost like they're at it.

Edited by TheJTS98