What's the most "Tin Pot" thing you've seen in the SPFL

4 hours ago, Ric said:

His naive optimism that he can somehow change things without the OF's approval is almost sweet.

I hope people noted he also tipped Dundee for the top 6. I seem to remember quite a few on here taking a dig at another chairman giving a similar prediction and I fully expect people to show the same level of disdain this time round.

Here's the key difference:

Nelms - "We want to be in the top six".
(Source: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/dundee-aim-for-top-six-0m7tknnhp)

Fitzpatrick - "We will be in the top six, make no mistake about it."
(Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53430255.amp)

Every team should want to be in the top six, if they don't then why even compete in the league at all? Only bellends try to call their shot months before the season starts.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

Have you read what he actually said

Would i be right in saying that he wanted to make Dundee "an established Premiership club"?

Which seems a rational aspiration.

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Have you read what he actually said? Because our interaction basically seems to be me relaying what was said.

Yeah I have. I'm not really after a recount of what he said, just curious about peoples opinions on what would constitute success in terms of becoming a "top six team".

Most clubs seem to manage maybe 2, 3 at most, consecutive season in the top 6 before dropping out I think, Aberdeen aside.

Just now, Leith Green said:

Would i be right in saying that he wanted to make Dundee "an established Premiership club"?

Which seems a rational aspiration.

Yep, exactly.

Really don't see the issue people are having with any of his statements over the past week or so.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah I have. I'm not really after a recount of what he said, just curious about peoples opinions on what would constitute success in terms of becoming a "top six team".

Most clubs seem to manage maybe 2, 3 at most, consecutive season in the top 6 before dropping out I think, Aberdeen aside.

I see being an established top flight side that can finish anywhere from 4th to 8th on a pretty consistent basis is a long term goal.  I think you're overthinking the term top 6 when in reality it's just being used as another term for 'mid-table and no relegation worries'. 

And that's what pretty much every club in the top flight should be aiming for bar the OF, Edinburgh sides and Aberdeen IMO.

I see being an established top flight side that can finish anywhere from 4th to 8th on a pretty consistent basis is a long term goal.  I think you're overthinking the term top 6 when in reality it's just being used as another term for 'mid-table and no relegation worries'. 
And that's what pretty much every club in the top flight should be aiming for bar the OF, Edinburgh sides and Aberdeen IMO.

I see it as being a club where people will find it absolutely hilarious if they get relegated.

Kilmarnock were established, Hamilton weren’t

4 hours ago, Ric said:

The point I'm making is that people on here were pretty dismissive of a team already in the league being touted for top 6 by their chairman and considering Dundee aren't even in the league (yet) and their chairman is making that claim it should be met with equal derision.

Yeah but the difference is, we're a big club.

What's the Nelms article even about?

The only thing I picked up on was lower league teams telling them to bolt re: colts teams. As well they should.

In what way are the lower leagues holding Dundee back that requires this great schism?

Americans should be banned from buying football teams

1 hour ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Ok Dundee fans go off about top six comments.

He was spouting a lot of pish about a breakaway from the SPFL and said the catalyst mught be colt teams, which is some galaxy brain shit.

Could see his point if he was talking about plastic pitches, the other 30 teams voting on it could well scupper the top flight clubs wanting rid of them. Colts though, only teams wanting them are Sevco and Celtic, and that for ulterior motives as they're also wanting to feck off to another league, and that wont change if the top flight break away.

His naive optimism that he can somehow change things without the OF's approval is almost sweet.
I hope people noted he also tipped Dundee for the top 6. I seem to remember quite a few on here taking a dig at another chairman giving a similar prediction and I fully expect people to show the same level of disdain this time round.
He did not say Dundee would be top 6 - he said they should be aiming for top 6 - trying to emulate what St Johnstone have done.

Guest TheJTS98

I think it's one of the cheapest slaggings going in football - yet sadly seen all the time - when a club is got at for stating a bit of ambition.

Why shouldn't Dundee be aiming for the top 6? What else are they meant to say?

Equally, it is right that St Mirren should be aiming to be a top 4 club. Why not? I think Fitzpatrick chose his words poorly and made a bit of a rod for his own back with his comments about the top 6, but put in context what he said was fair enough. If I was a St Mirren fan, I'd want the club to aim high. It's absolutely tiresome when the football fan community pile in on any club for having ideas deemed to be above their station.

For example, I think Hearts should be aiming to be a Europa League group stage club. What I mean by that is a club that people are not surprised to see in the group stages 2 or 3 times in every five years. Obviously, we're nowhere near at the moment and it's a difficult thing to achieve, but I think that should be the medium/long-term target Hearts have in mind when recruiting players and coaches, and when judging how we're doing with youth development, how well we run the commercial side of the club, how good our sports science set-up is etc.

Generally, if you aim high and plan in a smart manner, you end up doing ok, even if a bit short of the actual target. St Mirren didn't make the top 6, but they did manage their highest league finish in about 30 years.

I'd argue it's tinpot thinking to snipe at ambition and just think a club should stand still.

Edited by TheJTS98

14 hours ago, Ric said:

Chairmen should be talking up their clubs. St. Mirren's chairman should be saying, "We're shooting for Europe," every single July, along with every chairman in the Premiership not from the OF.

You certainly don't want somebody saying, "We're going to pray to get 10th and stay up and hope those b*****ds from Ross County and Livingston are more pish than we are."

9 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

I think it's one of the cheapest slaggings going in football - yet sadly seen all the time - when a club is got at for stating a bit of ambition.

Why shouldn't Dundee be aiming for the top 6? What else are they meant to say?

Equally, it is right that St Mirren should be aiming to be a top 4 club. Why not? I think Fitzpatrick chose his words poorly and made a bit of a rod for his own back with his comments about the top 6, but put in context what he said was fair enough. If I was a St Mirren fan, I'd want the club to aim high. It's absolutely tiresome when the football fan community pile in on any club for having ideas deemed to be above their station.

For example, I think Hearts should be aiming to be a Europa League group stage club. What I mean by that is a club that people are not surprised to see in the group stages 2 or 3 times in every five years. Obviously, we're nowhere near at the moment and it's a difficult thing to achieve, but I think that should be the medium/long-term target Hearts have in mind when recruiting players and coaches, and when judging how we're doing with youth development, how well we run the commercial side of the club, how good our sports science set-up is etc. Generally, if you aim high and plan in a smart manner, you end up doing ok, even if a bit short of the actual target.

I'd argue it's tinpot thinking to snipe at ambition and just think a club should stand still.

Beat me to it and you said it better. Well-stated.

26 minutes ago, AmericanFan said:

Chairmen should be talking up their clubs. St. Mirren's chairman should be saying, "We're shooting for Europe," every single July, along with every chairman in the Premiership not from the OF.

Why?

Are clubs only "ambitious" if the owners come out every 12 months and talk about how great they want the club to be?

18 minutes ago, AmericanFan said:

Why not?

Because its utterly pointless. 

Every club in the country has ambitions to make the top 6 regularly and challenge for trophies.

The only clubs who ever come out and talk about what they want to achieve are the long term under achievers. Try and join the dots.