What's the most "Tin Pot" thing you've seen in the SPFL

1 minute ago, ropy said:

You are not old though.

Premier?

It was Scottish Premier Division from 1975 to 1998, which is another reason why SPL has stuck.

The problem with the marketing isn't that folk aren't calling it "Premiership", it's that Premiership is a stupid word and they should just have stuck with SPL. 

3 minutes ago, GordonS said:

It was Scottish Premier Division from 1975 to 1998, which is another reason why SPL has stuck.

The problem with the marketing isn't that folk aren't calling it "Premiership", it's that Premiership is a stupid word and they should just have stuck with SPL. 

What was wrong with Scottish Division One?

If you just say Premiership a lot just assume you mean English PL.
If you just say SPFL it refers to the 42 teams.

The rebrand  was weak. 
Twitter trending with 'SPL' 8 years later proves that. 
They obviously aren't doing well in their branding either then - it hasn't been called the Premiership down south since 2007.

2 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

I can't get my head around the amount of football fans, including many who care enough to register on here and go to games, who still think the SPL still exists eight years since its dissolution. Astonishing levels of ignorance which surely can't be majorly blamed on poor branding.

Yeah, it's only trending because English fans are talking about Gerrard and don't give a single f**k what it's called, so just call it the one name they likely remember. 

I wouldn't over think it.

1 hour ago, G51 said:

Maybe people continuing to call it the SPL means we should go back to using that.

This. People correcting those who do are cringeworthy as it was a terrible rebrand mirrored on the English leagues as we had no imagination to do any different. Doncaster fanboys imo. 

8 minutes ago, gannonball said:

This. People correcting those who do are cringeworthy as it was a terrible rebrand mirrored on the English leagues as we had no imagination to do any different. Doncaster fanboys imo. 

Did England not pick the Premier branding from Scotland?

4 minutes ago, gannonball said:

The top tier of England changed to premier in early 90s we didn’t change it till the late 90s iirc.

We called it the Premier league from 1975. Technically it was 'Premier Division' but the terms were always synonymous. 

10 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

The Premier League name was 1975, it broke away as a separate entity from The SFL much later.

8 minutes ago, GordonS said:

We called it the Premier league from 1975. Technically it was 'Premier Division' but the terms were always synonymous. 

Right enough I was getting mixed up between the rebrand and the split. My issue was the recent rebrand of all leagues just seemed lazy.

Edited by gannonball

Just now, gannonball said:

Right enough I was getting mixed up between the rebrand and the split. 

Aye, they were the first to have the top division clubs resign from the old league structure and set up their own league.

Yeah, it's only trending because English fans are talking about Gerrard and don't give a single f**k what it's called, so just call it the one name they likely remember. 
I wouldn't over think it.
I'm not on about them, and that is of course fair enough, but you'd think that folk who register for a Scottish football forum would know what the top tier has been called for the last eight years.

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The reason they couldn't "just keep the SPL" is that the SPL merged with the SFL, and it had to be very clearly be seen to be a merger and not a takeover.

I get that but it could easily have had the same acronym and the change of the lower league names seemed a bit pointless.   And yes, I know Im being petty I just didn't like the carbon copy name change.

Alarmed that Baracus hasn't waded in yet as he has a mini aneurism anytime folk call it the SPL.

17 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I get that but it could easily have had the same acronym and the change of the lower league names seemed a bit pointless.   And yes, I know Im being petty I just didn't like the carbon copy name change.

Had my own wee mini aneurism at that. It's an initialism ffs (acronyms are words whose constituent letters represent other words) I'm completely with you though, semantic pedantry aside. The rebrand which essentially undermined the whole point of a brand, to stand out, remains the most tinpot thing about Scottish football.

1 minute ago, velo army said:

Alarmed that Baracus hasn't waded in yet as he has a mini aneurism anytime folk call it the SPL.

Had my own wee mini aneurism at that. It's an initialism ffs (acronyms are words whose constituent letters represent other words) I'm completely with you though, semantic pedantry aside. The rebrand which essentially undermined the whole point of a brand, to stand out, remains the most tinpot thing about Scottish football.

Ah ffs :shutup. Annoyed at myself as strangely I was talking to somebody at work about ‘backronyms’ last year which I didn’t realise were a thing.

2 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I'm old so it should be Premier, First, Second and Third Divisions and f**k all this other shite.

I like the names of the first 4 divisions (tho really it should be first, second, third and forth) but that’s a very harsh name for the non-league pyramid.

2 minutes ago, velo army said:

Pray tell.

Its basically things that have words with no real meaning as to why they are called that but then somebody comes up with an acronym retrospectively for it. Engineering is littered with it but I suppose ‘Neds’ would be a prime example in Scottish society.