What's the most "Tin Pot" thing you've seen in the SPFL

7 hours ago, tamthebam said:

She was head of the Anglican Church but no better than anyone else in the Presbyterian Church of Scotland where God is the nominal Head of the Church 

A principal that got up the nose of monarchs in the 17th Century and for which a lot of folk died.

I've been in a couple of RC Chapels and don't remember seeing a picture of the Pope anywhere (but maybe I was too busy bursting into flames to notice..)

the foundation of the Church of Scotland was, in itself, an act of rebellion against the monarch of the day

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

15 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I might be mistaken, but I don't think that it's in the open.

They were setting up the meadows to hold the "hundreds of thousands" of people queuing up to get in

Given that if's monday and the Meadows are 1000 metres away from St Giles I'm sceptical that there will be many people on the meadows but I suppose the core target audience are beyond working age

11 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

If it's so important for a protestant institution to have a big picture of the Queen up, why have I never seen a photo of the queen inside a protestant church? Surely a picture of Jesus or the moderator of the general assembly would be more appropriate?

I'm an atheist myself but it's shite like that which gives religion a bad name.

Because Rangers are not a Protestant institution....they are a secterian institution. They have no interest in, understanding of , or affiliation with, any Protestant religion that I am aware of. 

10 hours ago, Hoose Rice said:

No there's no pictures of the Pope in any chapels. 

For all the grief I got given over the past couple of days I am a non practicing RC.

When I went to Catholic school in the 60s & 70s I never knew anyone who referred to Church as Chapel.... when did this change and why ?  

49 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

When I went to Catholic school in the 60s & 70s I never knew anyone who referred to Church as Chapel.... when did this change and why ?  

My mate's catholic wife still refers to it as the church. It was always a chapel when i grew up though, in the same era as you, so feck knows.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

13 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

If it's so important for a protestant institution to have a big picture of the Queen up, why have I never seen a photo of the queen inside a protestant church? Surely a picture of Jesus or the moderator of the general assembly would be more appropriate?

I'm an atheist myself but it's shite like that which gives religion a bad name.

I think that ship sailed a long, long time ago, long before the blue erse cheek bigots came along.

6 minutes ago, Hoose Rice said:

Dinnae ken? 

Me neither. The only people I knew when I was of school age who used the word 'chapel' to refer to a Catholic church were non-catholics .  They generally weren't particularly pleasant about it.  Hence I've never liked the word. 'Crying In The Chapel' by Elvis Presley excepted, of course. 

My mum's family did the grand tour of pretty much all of the assorted wacky Protestant sects available in darkest Lanarkshire from the 20s to the 50s, and some of them were referred to as "chapel" in the singular. In the nonconformist style (which I know little about being a heathen myself), and possibly influenced by the Welsh great-whatever granny lurking in that side of our family tree. 

17 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

Me neither. The only people I knew when I was of school age who used the word 'chapel' to refer to a Catholic church were non-catholics .  They generally weren't particularly pleasant about it.  Hence I've never liked the word. 'Crying In The Chapel' by Elvis Presley excepted, of course. 

Aye me too.   Attended church/chapel until about high school age to do first confession/communion malarkey to please my auld granny but thought it was baws and stopped going when I went to High School and concentrate on Football in the mornings.

5 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

A chapel is just a certain type of religious building. I don't think it's usage varies particularly among different sects.

I used to live about 200m away from a Catholic chapel.

Aye maybe your right.  Is a chapel no just a wee church or a bit of the building you do mass in? 

Edited by Hoose Rice

A chapel is a room used for religious worship in a larger building e.g. hospitals, schools, prisons.

It was also (inaccurately) used to refer to Catholic churches, certainly in the West anyway.

Edited by RedEd

44 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

A chapel is just a certain type of religious building. I don't think it's usage varies particularly among different sects.

I used to live about 200m away from a Catholic chapel.

Having originally referred to a place of worship smaller than a normal church it then becomes a label for places of worship outside the mainstream which by their nature would tend to end up in smaller buildings.

It's use in Scotland for Baptists, Roman Catholics and Wesleyans is in this sense  and shouldn't be too controversial except for Roman Catholics because they think they're the mainstream and everyone else it a splitter

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

3 hours ago, RedEd said:

A chapel is a room used for religious worship in a larger building e.g. hospitals, schools, prisons.

It was also (inaccurately) used to refer to Catholic churches, certainly in the West anyway.

Aye there's a chapel in the ERI come to think of it.