What's the most "Tin Pot" thing you've seen in the SPFL

11 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The post I replied to said "Imagine we had a TV deal that showed a match like Aberdeen v Motherwell in the opening weeks of the season?". Those seasons were both part of the same deal and both featured those fixtures.

We are living in the here and now not the last two seasons. 

7 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

It’s as if they are embarrassed to show games between two teams out with the OF, like having either Rangers or Celtic involved lends the live games some credibility and makes it look better for the ‘English audience’, who’s opinion our media seem to hold in such high regard.

Every week one of them is live on TV usually away from home. I understand that Sky want the largest attendance for their advertising of mainly gambling firms.

But I’m sure in the EPL there are some agreements that are in place whereby clubs gets a minimum number of games televised.

The breakdown in the EPL is 

Domestic broadcast revenue is distributed on a 50:25:25 basis:

- 50% is divided equally between the clubs.

- 25% is awarded on a merit basis, determined by final league positions.

- 25% is distributed as a facilities fee for televised matches.

This article breaks down costs on a previous season.

https://sqaf.club/premier-league-tv-money-distribution/

I’m sure there have been many seasons when the only times St Mirren were televised were when the bigot brothers played in Paisley. So Rangers and Celtic are probably televised a minimum of 21 league games versus teams like St Mirren 3 league games. That is so unfair. 

Now Sky are dictating the terms of the contract, but the nodding dog Doncaster is not selling a fair representation of the Scottish game. How do smaller clubs grow their revenue if they are penalised so harshly by the footballing authorities?

7 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

I was about to jump on this post until I read your last line. Can you imagine what BBC Scotland would do with the Premiership rights, it’s not worth thinking about. I think after a season on BBC we would be pining for the fair and balanced coverage of Sky Sports. 

God knows, I moan plenty about BBC Scotland and its lurch towards tabloidy coverage on TV, radio and its website when it comes to our football.

However, as an institution, I'm still a big fan of the BBC, its remit and its funding model.  It's fashionable on here to attack everything about the BBC, but it's not where I'm coming from.  There would no doubt be frustrations, but it could scarcely conceivably offer less than Sky does currently.  

The fact that football could also reach a wider audience on free TV is also something that's overlooked.  

4 minutes ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

Every week one of them is live on TV usually away from home. I understand that Sky want the largest attendance for their advertising of mainly gambling firms.

But I’m sure in the EPL there are some agreements that are in place whereby clubs gets a minimum number of games televised.

The breakdown in the EPL is 

Domestic broadcast revenue is distributed on a 50:25:25 basis:

- 50% is divided equally between the clubs.

- 25% is awarded on a merit basis, determined by final league positions.

- 25% is distributed as a facilities fee for televised matches.

This article breaks down costs on a previous season.

https://sqaf.club/premier-league-tv-money-distribution/

I’m sure there have been many seasons when the only times St Mirren were televised were when the bigot brothers played in Paisley. So Rangers and Celtic are probably televised a minimum of 21 league games versus teams like St Mirren 3 league games. That is so unfair. 

Now Sky are dictating the terms of the contract, but the nodding dog Doncaster is not selling a fair representation of the Scottish game. How do smaller clubs grow their revenue if they are penalised so harshly by the footballing authorities?

As others have pointed out though, Doncaster is simply doing the bidding of the clubs.  For them, the only criterion seems to involve the price of the contract.  Sky then do as they please.  The depressing reality simply will be that by showing the OF weekabout in away games, their viewing figures will be higher than they can otherwise get from our game.  Again, that's all that will possibly matter to them. 

It's an absolutely horrible arrangement though.  It totally plays to the narrative that only their games matter.  The fact that away games are always those covered, also means that it's the other, already impoverished, clubs who take the hit in terms of their home games being shifted to Sundays and getting smaller gates because of TV coverage.

It's the worst of all worlds, but our game has played a huge part in creating the situation.

9 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Plus the other 10 clubs are generally only ever seen being brutally pumped by the OF, thus furthering the appearance to any casual viewer that they are worthless jobbers. 

Yes, while increasing the appeal to children and the emotionally immature, of the OF.

The idea that the other clubs are simply background presences, wheeled out in order for the OF to steamroll, is reinforced at every turn.  

If I was a diddy team, I'd lean in to the gimmick tbh. Hibs should rebrand as the Edinburgh Generals every time one of the Glasgow Globetrotters comes to Easter Road. Throw in some slapdash comedy errors and give the people what they want to see. 

Edited by G51

Just now, DiegoDiego said:

The people want to see (The) Rangers die again.

There is no such team, Rangers died and were replaced by my beloved Sevco, who enjoy rude financial health and a rich European history. 

10 hours ago, Kyle Reese said:
9CC607E3-ABA4-47D1-8BE7-EBB7AFA6152D.jpeg.b215d6c1fd554bd12ab042c6bdba4b49.jpeg

A Hearts fan going to the effort of making that is pretty tinpot right enough. Probably someone who drank too many pints of "40 yard screamer" and thought it would be really funny.

Edited by craigkillie

19 hours ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

We also get the odd home game v Hibs or Aberdeen shown by Sky. As for away games, I reckon the last time Sky covered a Saints away league game was April 2009, the 2-0 win v Motherwell (Andy Dorman's screamer) which is why they can forever stick their subscription costs up their arse. 

On 14/08/2022 at 09:10, G51 said:

I see Ange Postecoglou is in the Times today saying that other Scottish teams need to do more in Europe.

Glasgow Celtic:

- Lost seven of fourteen games last year

- Were knocked out of three competitions

- Haven’t won a knockout tie since 2004, a date that is closer to the Chernobyl disaster than it is to the present day

Any quotes backing this up or are you just going off the clickbait headline?

On 14/08/2022 at 08:54, craigkillie said:

Motherwell v Hibs was shown on the opening weekend of last season, and Ross County v Motherwell on the opening weekend of the previous one.

Confirmation, we are a massive team!

Also a note, the odd game has been shown on BBC ALBA the last few seasons. Recently, the MFC v St Johnstone (again, cause we're massive). but others are too. Never seem to be any OF games though :). Are they the Sky castoffs? Is there a separate less publicized deal? While I'm not assuming we can all speak Gaelic, and it's never/rarely live, the coverage is just the game with commentary. ie no interviews, pundits or faff.
I tried googling but all it's giving me is their deal for the Women's league this season, nothing about the SPFL.

There's been a BBC Alba game shown as live most weeks for well over a decade now, I assume it's just part of the same overall deal for Sportscene etc but you never really do seem to get details. They used to show the occasional live lower league game too, and also had a couple of live Premiership games on a good few years ago.

On 14/08/2022 at 15:23, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Furuhashi, Neves Filipe, Jenz, Starfelt, Giakoumakis.

Who the f**k are these c***s? Celtic not giving Scottish lads a chance at all I see.

At all!! 3 in the starting 11, none scored, get them to f**k.