What's the most "Tin Pot" thing you've seen in the SPFL

5 hours ago, CambieBud said:

I find BBC, Sky, BT et al’s desperate attempts to be seen as politically correct, by employing 50% female commentators and analysts on all male sports tinpot. Far from empowering women, it comes across as patronising and a huge turn off. I know that I will be accused of masogyny, but I personally cringe when listening to some of these so called experts and commentators ruining football, golf, cricket etc for the sake of equality

You know we all have those opinions that we keep in our heads and dont tell anyone? This should have been one of them.

Apart from the wild accusation that women pundits are "so called experts" despite being equally qualified to give their opinion as any man as most of them are either experienced journalists or have played whichever sport to a world class level, its a demonstrably false statistic.

If your enjoyment of a product is significantly reduced just because a woman appears on it, that says a lot more about you than any of the women or broadcasters.

If it isn't a white male then of course it absolutely has to be some variety of quotas/wokeism/etc. Seeing white males as normal means some folk by default think anyone who isn't a white male must be there for some reason they can't fathom, so it must be something amiss or sinister.

5 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Years ago at Livingston. They had a corner and over the tannoy, they play some kind of cavelry horn as some sort of hideous attempt to jee up some atmosphere.

I guess it's a tinpot thing I've heard rather than seen, but still. 

They had a nightclub under the stand that they opened at midday so they're decent c***s.

4 hours ago, Empty It said:

It is literally the exact same sport, don't get a much better comparison than that.

Obviously there are differences between the way the game is currently played at the top of the mens and womens games so you could figuratively say they’re different  games but there are bigger differences between how the mens game is played now and how it was played when Gary Lineker was at Barcelona and he’s still there

more importantly it’s obvious that having played at a high level is no guarantee that someone will have anything informative or entertaining to say about the game, I’m looking at you Mr Shearer

as Arrigo Sacchi once said, to be a jockey you don’t need to have first been a horse

Is it tinpot of me revelling that Newco fans are probably watching events in the glamour tie in Helsinki tonight with a little bead of a tear forming at the corner of their eyes.

What could have been eh? CL qualification guaranteed, little cash windfall from UEFA and another trophy silhouette to go on your "most successful club in world football" wall and potential for another if you beat Real Madrid tonight .....

Delicious stuff

8 hours ago, CambieBud said:

Personally I have never watched a women’s football match. . 
I don’t understand why there has to be a gender crossover when there is no comparison between the games. 

Able to judge them as different games, with a massive sample size of 0.  

10 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Obviously there are differences between the way the game is currently played at the top of the mens and womens games so you could figuratively say they’re different  games but there are bigger differences between how the mens game is played now and how it was played when Gary Lineker was at Barcelona and he’s still there

more importantly it’s obvious that having played at a high level is no guarantee that someone will have anything informative or entertaining to say about the game, I’m looking at you Mr Shearer

as Arrigo Sacchi once said, to be a jockey you don’t need to have first been a horse

Just an absolutely endless list of examples you could have used here. In fact, the list of insightful, balanced pundits who are worth listening to probably remains countable on 2 hands. 

17 hours ago, CambieBud said:

Haha. This is exactly the problem with the 21st Century in sport. Professional male sport has always and will always be primarily aimed at a male audience. Women’s football is an entirely different game and unless I am wrong, is being aimed at a different audience. No problem with any of that. Nothing to do with leftie wokeness, Livilion. Personally I have never watched a women’s football match. I have no issue at all with Sky pouring vast sums into that sport, as it has a growing interest among young girls. Good for them. 
I don’t understand why there has to be a gender crossover when there is no comparison between the games. 
Before using the boring wokeness line, maybe you suggest that professional football teams should have a quota of female players? Or should male and female teams compete against each other? 
Many suggest that ex old firm players slavering away about their ex clubs are dreadful examples and you are right. But at least ex players have an understanding of the game they are talking about. 

You were one of the ones absolutely raging when Soccer Saturday got rid of Nicholas, Le Tissier and Thompson, weren't you??

31 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

You were one of the ones absolutely raging when Soccer Saturday got rid of Nicholas, Le Tissier and Thompson, weren't you??

The Gold Standard examples of why being a man/ex footballer guarantees nothing in terms of quality.....

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

The Gold Standard examples of why being a man/ex footballer guarantees nothing in terms of quality.....

Aye, but Bantz n that. 

Who wants to listen to someone coherent and knowledgeable like Matt Murray when you can listen to Charlie Nicholas unable to pronounce the names of half the players. 

Only thing that pissed me off was that they kept Merson because they were afraid he'd go even more off the rails. 

51 minutes ago, KD1711 said:

Shock horror the asking price begins with 55.

Half a million  seems expensive fir somewhere that’s technically in Paisley but you do get the privilege of smashing up that bar with a sledgehammer before fitting one with your own preferred theme