What's the most "Tin Pot" thing you've seen in the SPFL

8 minutes ago, Eder said:

Were you one of the Well fans singing to Sligo fans "you only sing in the chapel"?

Stuff like that also stinks!

No that was shite patter from wee boys. Just like how I'm sure you would not want to be tarred with all the shite the GB get up to.

1 hour ago, ATLIS said:

John Beaton getting reported to the SFA for calling a disabled Livingston supporter an 'arsehole' and telling him to 'f**k off' during our final game of the season :D 

That does sound very tinpot on behalf of Livingston and/or whoever reported him.

5 hours ago, ATLIS said:

Apparently it was the disabled fan that did so

Not sure why being disabled is relevant here but it sounds like this fan is someone who gave out abuse and cried to a steward/police when he got called an arsehole back. Tinpot indeed. 

Unless you’re going to tell me Beaton called the guy an arsehole unprovoked? 

8 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Not sure why being disabled is relevant here but it sounds like this fan is someone who gave out abuse and cried to a steward/police when he got called an arsehole back. Tinpot indeed. 

Unless you’re going to tell me Beaton called the guy an arsehole unprovoked? 

It’s relevant because (if it’s the guy I think it is, can’t tell from a Facebook profile) the guy is also mentally disabled and based on seeing him over 10 years or so he can’t control half the shit he comes out with.

He’s loud, fair enough but what he says is no different from what you’d hear from an average fan in the stands. Why it matters is because Beaton has gone out of his way to go over to the disabled shelter and directly make the comments - he wouldn’t do that to a regular fan in the stands. He’s went out and picked an easy target, a mentally and physically disabled fan.

Edited by ATLIS

23 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

It’s relevant because (if it’s the guy I think it is, can’t tell from a Facebook profile) the guy is also mentally disabled and based on seeing him over 10 years or so he can’t control half the shit he comes out with.

He’s loud, fair enough but what he says is no different from what you’d hear from an average fan in the stands. Why it matters is because Beaton has gone out of his way to go over to the disabled shelter and directly make the comments - he wouldn’t do that to a regular fan in the stands. He’s went out and picked an easy target, a mentally and physically disabled fan.

A problem with mentally disabled people is that it's sometimes hard to tell the difference between them and people who are just idiots.

And if you guess wrong in either direction it's really embarrassing.

1 minute ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

A problem with mentally disabled people is that it's sometimes hard to tell the difference between them and people who are just idiots.

Yeah you’re pretty spot on there. I could be getting the guy all wrong but he’s sat down from me for a long time. A lot of our staff and players warming up chat with him and humour him, but based on a lot of his shouts I’d make the guess one way. 

I don’t think Beaton would walk up to the side of the pitch and call any fan in the stands an arsehole or tell them to f**k off. It’s more so about how he went about it, and how he choose someone to pick out 

9 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Yeah you’re pretty spot on there. I could be getting the guy all wrong but he’s sat down from me for a long time. A lot of our staff and players warming up chat with him and humour him, but based on a lot of his shouts I’d make the guess one way. 

It's a very difficult question to ask someone politely. And it gets more difficult the longer you've known them

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

1 hour ago, ATLIS said:

I doubt very much that Beaton is enough of an idiot to go out of his way to deliberately pick out a disabled fan to give abuse to. Career suicide and just a fucking bizarre thing to do.

If he called him an arsehole, given the abuse refs take in the normal course of things, then he must have been acting like a total walloper.

21 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Beaton is 40 and started reffing at the age of 19 which scarily means he's had strangers telling him he's a useless arsehole for most of his life. 

Rather than suspending him being a punishment it would probably be doing him a favour.

There's a fun Zadie Smith essay about Justin Bieber and what his experience of life must be like. It's in a book I borrowed from a friend last month. Very enjoyable.

Everywhere he goes people are pleased to see him and are nice to him and give him whatever he wants and go out of their way to please him. He must think the world is such a nice, smiley, happy place where people are all really lovely.

Imagine how different John Beaton's experience of humanity must be? Twenty-one years of being called a useless c**t, threatened, having his parentage questioned, having grown men booooooo at him.

He must think the world is awful. Never mind a suspension, he must be looking forward to the sweet relief of death.

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Aye, I prefer the ones in wheelchairs, you know where you are with them.

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Beaton is 40 and started reffing at the age of 19 which scarily means he's had strangers telling him he's a useless arsehole for most of his life. 

Rather than suspending him being a punishment it would probably be doing him a favour

He’s been refereeing that long and he is still incompetent?

FFS.

3 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

I doubt very much that Beaton is enough of an idiot to go out of his way to deliberately pick out a disabled fan to give abuse to. Career suicide and just a fucking bizarre thing to do.

If he called him an arsehole, given the abuse refs take in the normal course of things, then he must have been acting like a total walloper.

Yeah this is where I am. 

Im finding it hard to believe that, not only did a referee of over 20 years experience react so badly to a bit of fairly benign abuse that he decided to walk over to the crowd to give it back, but that he consciously decided that because it was the disabled section they were fair game. 

There's a fun Zadie Smith essay about Justin Bieber and what his experience of life must be like. It's in a book I borrowed from a friend last month. Very enjoyable.
Everywhere he goes people are pleased to see him and are nice to him and give him whatever he wants and go out of their way to please him. He must think the world is such a nice, smiley, happy place where people are all really lovely.
Imagine how different John Beaton's experience of humanity must be? Twenty-one years of being called a useless c**t, threatened, having his parentage questioned, having grown men booooooo at him.
He must think the world is awful. Never mind a suspension, he must be looking forward to the sweet relief of death.
A bit like the 30 Rock episodes with Jon Hamm.

2 hours ago, AJF said:

Referees should dish out abuse more often in my opinion. Especially to players. Rather than booking them for foul and abusive language just tell the c**t to shut up and f**k off.

I've long held the belief that when players/managers criticise referees in post match interviews, the ref should have a right of reply.

Imagine the utter joy of watching a referee say something along the lines of "Aye, well he picked that useless c**t Smith at left back" or "Maybe if he hadn't missed those three sitters, the throw in I got wrong in the 3rd minute wouldn't have been an issue"

7 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I've long held the belief that when players/managers criticise referees in post match interviews, the ref should have a right of reply.

Imagine the utter joy of watching a referee say something along the lines of "Aye, well he picked that useless c**t Smith at left back" or "Maybe if he hadn't missed those three sitters, the throw in I got wrong in the 3rd minute wouldn't have been an issue"

dont know if i'd take joy in hearing a referee say he didn't give a penalty because the manager picked a diddy at left back...perhaps if it went against certain teams