What's the most "Tin Pot" thing you've seen in the SPFL

1 hour ago, Empty It said:

It's a bit ridiculous that any team they play is expected to wait 10 minutes for their wee play and song to finish before they kick off, would any team outwith the OF get away with that pish.

Dundee United didn't bother coming out until after we had raised the flag on Saturday - maybe that would have been an option.

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

I've been unable to locate an industrial estate for suitable comparison with Livi. 

Stevenage was one of the 1940s new towns, a generation earlier but it's probably your closest English equivalent. It's population is a little bit bigger but searching Trip Advisor for "things to do in ..." is similarly dispiriting for either location (Number 7 for Stevenage was "Debenhams")

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

Newcastle city population is only a bit bigger than Aberdeen's at 280,000.

Having spent a fair bit of time in Newcastle, the idea that its the same(ish) size as Aberdeen is just bizarre!

No idea where those figures are coming from but they don't reflect reality.

I presume they don't include places like Gateshead, Hebburn, Wallsend, North AND South Shields etc etc which are all connected and full of Newcastle fans.

1 hour ago, ArabFC said:

Having spent a fair bit of time in Newcastle, the idea that its the same(ish) size as Aberdeen is just bizarre!

No idea where those figures are coming from but they don't reflect reality.

I presume they don't include places like Gateshead, Hebburn, Wallsend, North AND South Shields etc etc which are all connected and full of Newcastle fans.

Up to almost 300,000 now according to ONS. 

That's why i said "Newcastle city" and not "the built up area around it" 

Yes, it's safe to presume that the population of Newcastle doesn't include people who don't live in Newcastle.

4 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Yes, it's safe to presume that the population of Newcastle doesn't include people who don't live in Newcastle.

Yes, but the point is perfectly sensible in the context of discussing a team's natural catchment area.  Tyneside, both North and South is urban and populous way beyond the city's boundaries.  That's the point here.

3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, but the point is perfectly sensible in the context of discussing a team's natural catchment area.  Tyneside, both North and South is urban and populous way beyond the city's boundaries.  That's the point here.

Can i just add that i wasn't really making a point. I was just arguing for the sake of it. Can't speak for anyone else. 

2 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Can i just add that i wasn't really making a point. I was just arguing for the sake of it. Can't speak for anyone else. 

Arguing for the sake of it always has a point.

In fact, I can think of no better point in posting at all.

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Old Trafford regularly attracts about 75% of the population of Salford making Man United "the Ross County of England"

Hang on I may have got that muddled up

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

6 hours ago, Empty It said:

It's a bit ridiculous that any team they play is expected to wait 10 minutes for their wee play and song to finish before they kick off, would any team outwith the OF get away with that pish.

The game kicked off on time as it always does no matter if YNWA is finished or not. No team has to wait unless they choose to however the game still kicks off on time.

2 hours ago, coprolite said:

Up to almost 300,000 now according to ONS. 

That's why i said "Newcastle city" and not "the built up area around it" 

Newcastle city is directly across the river from Gateshead.

Cross the Millenium bridge from Gateshead quayside and you're in Newcastle quayside. So Gateshead isn't really part of "the bulit up area around it".

Although my wife didn't believe me, when I was ordered a taxi for Gateshead quayside yesterday, that we were in Gateshead, when we had just crossed over from the Newcastle side.:rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Newcastle city is directly across the river from Gateshead.

Cross the Millenium bridge from Gateshead quayside and you're in Newcastle quayside. So Gateshead isn't really part of "the bulit up area around it".

Although my wife didn't believe me, when I was ordered a taxi for Gateshead quayside yesterday, that we were in Gateshead, when we had just crossed over from the Newcastle side.:rolleyes:

It still blows my mind that France and Spain are separate countries.

They're right next to each other! 

6 hours ago, Empty It said:

Something negative involving celtic, it's the old firm.

Something negative regarding Rangers,  it's Rangers. 

22 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

The game kicked off on time as it always does no matter if YNWA is finished or not. No team has to wait unless they choose to however the game still kicks off on time.

Biggest minter is nicking the song off Liverpool in the first place. I reckon there are Celtic fans who would tell you with a straight face that they invented the Poznan. 

20 minutes ago, coprolite said:

It still blows my mind that France and Spain are separate countries.

They're right next to each other! 

I suspect that it wouldn't take too much for that to happen.

Also, rivers acting as borders between countries are relatively common.

However, the situation with Newcastle and Gateshead is quite unusual.