What's the most "Tin Pot" thing you've seen in the SPFL

Guest Livifc1
Just now, IrishBhoy said:

I think you are over estimating English attendances. 12 of the 20 teams in the Premiership don’t average over 40k. Burnley, Palace, Watford, Brentford and Norwich were all around 20K. On an average weekend there is around 400k at English Premiership games. The other 3 leagues add up to roughly 280k. So even with our two most supported teams removed we have a higher attendance per head of population. It’s not even debatable. 

Yes it is, the English championship has 24 teams, so 12 games per weekend, pretty sure most of those teams have average attendances of more than 20,000. 

28 minutes ago, Livifc1 said:

Your numbers don’t stack up. There are 10 premier league games on in England each weekend. What’s the average attendances to all these matches? Maybe 40-50000 thousand depending on who is at home. That’s 400000-500000 just at the top league. 
Im pretty sure the rest of the leagues average more than 250000-350000 between them, easily. 

Okay, well you want numbers that stack up? I'm using the 2018/19 figures from http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn.htm  (the last season we had where no games had attendances curbed due to Covid)

For each of the four Scottish leagues, take the average weekly attendance, multiply by the number of teams in each league, and you get that on average, 235,650 people went to a Scottish league game each week.

For England, do the same exercise, and 1,564,500 people go to English league games every week, on average.

Divide by the populations of 5.454 million and 55.980 million respectively, and you get that 4.3% of Scotland goes to League fitba', compared to 2.8% of England.

England has a better attended non-league scene, so it's probably a bit of an underestimate, but it's not going to be nearly enough to make up the difference.

Edit: Even if you take out the Old Firm, the numbers are more or less equal; 2.7% for Scotland vs 2.8% for England, and what does that prove? You could easily find some pretext to exclude the ManUCityLiverpoolChelsea gloryhunters from the English figures and knock their figures down a bit too, if you like.

Scottish football - minus the two most well-attended teams - is about as well-attended as English football. What significance does that have? If Rangers and Celtic vanished overnight, would those 55,000 - 65,000 folk stop watching football altogether?

Edited by Aim Here

1 minute ago, Livifc1 said:

Yes it is, the English championship has 24 teams, so 12 games per weekend, pretty sure most of those teams have average attendances of more than 20,000. 

You are at it :lol: only 7 teams in last season’s Championship averaged over 20k, some as low as 9k. 12 multiplied by 20 is still only 240k, which even added to the other leagues wouldn’t match 750k. 

In 2021/22, a whole 6 of those teams had average attendances of more than 20k

https://www.worldfootball.net/attendance/eng-championship-2021-2022/1/

1 minute ago, Mark Connolly said:

In 2021/22, a whole 6 of those teams had average attendances of more than 20k

https://www.worldfootball.net/attendance/eng-championship-2021-2022/1/

To be fair, the average in 2018/19 was just a smidgin over 20k - £20,181. Attendances came down after the pandemic kicked in, for obvious reasons.

Guest Livifc1
1 minute ago, VincentGuerin said:

You mean like people in the Lothians who support their local clubs instead of Hearts and Hibs, aye?

Take some time to think about it, son.

1 minute ago, IrishBhoy said:

You are at it :lol: only 7 teams in last season’s Championship averaged over 20k, some as low as 9k. 12 multiplied by 20 is still only 240k, which even added to the other leagues wouldn’t match 750k. 

17000 was the average per game in the English Championship last year. 

Guest Livifc1

Premier league

Averqge attendance 39500

Championship 17000

League 1.   10,131

League 2.   5000

39500 * 10      395000

17000 * 12       204000

10131 * 12          121572

5000 * 12         60000

total              780572 

Edited by Livifc1

24 minutes ago, Livifc1 said:

Premier league

Averqge attendance 39500

Championship 17000

League 1.   10,131

League 2.   5000

39500 * 10      395000

17000 * 12       204000

10131 * 12          121572

5000 * 12         60000

total              780572 

Go away you daft wee fool.

It's been unequivocally established that you are utterly wrong in asserting that English clubs are way better supported in proportionate terms than is the case in Scotland outwith the OF. 

Stop your daft digging.  You've come in with an opinion based on your own observations and been shown to be quite wrong, all the while praising OF fans for their apparent fanaticism.  

Not a good look.

Guest Livifc1
3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Go away you daft wee fool.

It's been unequivocally established that you are utterly wrong in asserting that English clubs are way better supported in proportionate terms than is the case in Scotland outwith the OF. 

Stop your daft digging.  You've come in with an opinion based on your own observations and been shown to be quite wrong, all the while praising OF fans for their apparent fanaticism.  

Not a good look.

Show me where I “praised” the Old Firm for their fanaticism. You illiterate little tit.
But you’re right, I think I will go away. I can’t think of a single reason why I’d want to spend another second of my life engaging with this group of arsewipes. 

Show me where I “praised” the Old Firm for their fanaticism. You illiterate little tit.
But you’re right, I think I will go away. I can’t think of a single reason why I’d want to spend another second of my life engaging with this group of arsewipes. 

An excellent outcome.