What's the most "Tin Pot" thing you've seen in the SPFL

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Companies were allowed to operate employment practices that brazenly discriminated against Catholics. 

I started work in Lanarkshire in 1977.  I am not aware of any, "employment practices that brazenly discriminated against Catholics".  You're not, either.

Were there discriminatory employment practices on Scotland?  Probably.  Did it happen within our  lifetime?  Almost certainly not.

13 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

I started work in Lanarkshire in 1977.  I am not aware of any, "employment practices that brazenly discriminated against Catholics".  You're not, either.

Were there discriminatory employment practices on Scotland?  Probably.  Did it happen within our  lifetime?  Almost certainly not.

It certainly happened into the 60s - a bit early for me, but not for you.  I didn't claim it was a current phenomenon anyway, so I don't know why you're focusing on that unless attempting some goal post shifting because there are obviously institutions that aren't schools.

8 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It certainly happened into the 60s - a bit early for me, but not for you. 

The 1860s?  Almost certainly.  The 1960s?  A time of full employment on the Clyde?  Absolutely not.

There is no evidence whatsoever of institutional bias in Scotland apart from the Education Act of 1918.

46 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Companies were allowed to operate employment practices that brazenly discriminated against Catholics.  That's what I'm getting at with 'institutional'  (I'm not even having a particular dig at Rangers here - it was more widespread than that).  

I wasn't referring to schools.  Ironically enough, I'm in favour of scrapping the idea of RC schools.

Aren't we all...

21 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

The 1860s?  Almost certainly.  The 1960s?  A time of full employment on the Clyde?  Absolutely not.

There is no evidence whatsoever of institutional bias in Scotland apart from the Education Act of 1918.

Stop talking bollocks Kincardine.

Discrimination was relatively widespread well after WW2.  I know my Dad was advised to not bother applying to certain companies in the early 60s.  Hell, I even know of one employer who persevered with such practices into the late 80s and caused great distress among some customers when eventually departing from them.

You seem to have pounced on the 'institutional ' angle in a way which reveals a misunderstanding of it.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Stop talking bollocks Kincardine.

Discrimination was relatively widespread well after WW2.  I know my Dad was advised to not bother applying to certain companies in the early 60s.  Hell, I even now of one employer who persevered with such practices into the late 80s and caused great distress among some customers when eventually departing from them.

You seem to have pounced on the 'institutional ' angle in a way which reveals a misunderstanding of it.

My dad had the same problems, but Kincardine says it never happened.

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Discrimination was relatively widespread well after WW2.  I know my Dad was advised to not bother applying to certain companies in the early 60s. 

Absolutely no evidence for this.  At all.  Mind you, that didn't stop the anecdotes which persisted even when I started work in Scotland's heavy industry in the 70s.

I'd have expected better from you than 'My dad said'...

3 minutes ago, stressball said:

My dad had the same problems, but Kincardine says it never happened.

Your dad had no problem getting work in 1960s or 1970s Scotland.   It doesn't matter what his religion was.  it was a time of full employment.

1 minute ago, The_Kincardine said:

Absolutely no evidence for this.  At all.  Mind you, that didn't stop the anecdotes which persisted even when I started work in Scotland's heavy industry in the 70s.

I'd have expected better from you than 'My dad said'...

What are you on about?

Who's meant to be lying here, me, my dad? 

I've no idea why what I'm saying would cause you difficulty.  How it represents evidence of a lack of evidence, is baffling.

2 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Your dad had no problem getting work in 1960s or 1970s Scotland.   It doesn't matter what his religion was.  it was a time of full employment.

Nobody is saying Catholics couldn't get any jobs, just that certain companies discriminated against them.

3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I don't know what you're playing at here or why.

Not playing at anything.  Scotland did have a problem with anti-Catholic discrimination.  Shamefully.

By the 60's - a time of full-employment - it didn't.  Anyone who wanted a job or an apprenticeship could have one irrespective of their school or background.  This is well documented.

If your auld man lied to you it is not my problem.