What's the most "Tin Pot" thing you've seen in the SPFL

4 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

Whilst I appreciate the circumstances this year are a bit different it’s worth remembering that hundreds of footballers across the country are laid off at this time every single year.

.....and a lot of them find other clubs.

Not this time around sadly.

I don't really listen to any football chat on radio.
Not interested in Radio Scotland or Clyde talking Old firm. The opinions of Chick Young, Gordon Strachan or any of the other names I read people on here mention has never interested me.
The opinions I am Interested in is the guys on here who follow tin pot nobodies and spend a bloody fortune doing it.
Do any of these radio shows ever get an actual fan in to discuss the topics of the day?
I've followed the fortunes of FFC for 33 years now and had 24 season tickets including every season at Westfield. My 19 month old son has already been to 3 games and will soon follow in my footsteps.
In all that time not once have the SFA or FFC asked for my opinion or suggestions on the game I've spent thousands following.
Instead I'm told by people on big salaries who get in for free what's happening and what I want.
Whenever I buy online or even when I go into B&Q I get pestered to fill In a survey on my experience and how a multinational business could do more for me.
Just saying.
I think this says more about the tinpottery of Falkirk than anything else. Motherwell regularly survey fans by email and I've also had surveys about Scotland games from the SFA.

On 26/05/2020 at 07:03, LincolnHearts said:

I get it's a 'joke' that they are all in on, but when you think how many players are going to be laid off in the coming weeks, it's pretty poor humour.

I'm willing to bet that zero footballers were harmed (or heaven forbid, offended) in the making of this joke. 

19 hours ago, The Other Foot said:

I'm willing to bet that zero footballers were harmed (or heaven forbid, offended) in the making of this joke. 

Indeed.

On Monday, Davie Martindale called Gary and asked if he could come to the stadium to have a look at a drainage issue which we’ve had in the first-team dressing room. Gary came to have a look and whilst in the stadium he and Davie, who are long-term friends having both played in the same team at Junior level (alongside Scott Pittman), began to have a bit of a chat around the fact that Gary was soon to be out of contract.

Gary suggested to Davie that given all that is going and the fact he has a full-time job as it is, he was happy if him being released meant that his wages could be redistributed to the younger goalkeepers at the club to help them through the current period. The chat turned into a bit of changing room banter between the pair with Davie suggesting it would be a bit of light-hearted fun to open it up to the fans via a twitter poll and see if they thought that Gary should stay. At this point, assuming there would be 400-500 votes and a bit of good humour amongst the fans and players, Davie would donate £1 to charity for every vote received. In exchange, Gary suggested that if the poll went in his favour, he’d donate two months wage, whilst we still remain without football, to charity too.

So there we had it. 6pm on Monday, a poll would go out on Twitter, a bit of light-hearted banter would ensue between players and fans and at the end of it all, a charity would benefit either way.

Fast forward 4 hours and by 10pm on Monday evening, the poll had already amassed over 100,000 votes, Livingston FC was trending on twitter, press from all over the WORLD were getting in touch to talk about it and Davie Martindale was very quickly recalculating that £1 per vote suggestion!

Subsequently, Davie agreed that he’d donate £1000 to charity given the reaction and Gary has continued to stand by his vow to donate his monthly football wage too.

That brings us to the charity in question – The John O’Byrne Foundation.

The foundation was set-up to support children who spend significant periods of times in hospital battling long-term, and very often, terminal illnesses. The aim of the foundation is to support children and their families with holidays, trips, meeting their heroes and even more simpler things like board games, birthday cakes and such like.

You can find out all the information about the foundation as well as being able to donate to the cause via their JustGiving page on the link below. As you can imagine at a time like this, smaller charities doing good work in the community can really suffer in terms of donations and lack of exposure so if you can help by either spreading the word of the foundation or making a donation, that would be a huge, huge help.

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/barry-hicks

So there you have it, perhaps a football first in terms of the poll but some huge awareness now directed the way of the charity and an overwhelming statement that over 100,000 people want to see Stretch remain in Livi colours!

We appreciate that some may not have initially received the poll in the light-hearted, good humoured way in which it was absolutely intended but it was only ever meant to raise a bit of a smile at time when all other current news is making that hard to do.

On 26/05/2020 at 07:57, Gaz FFC said:

I don't really listen to any football chat on radio.

Not interested in Radio Scotland or Clyde talking Old firm. The opinions of Chick Young, Gordon Strachan or any of the other names I read people on here mention has never interested me.

The opinions I am Interested in is the guys on here who follow tin pot nobodies and spend a bloody fortune doing it.

Do any of these radio shows ever get an actual fan in to discuss the topics of the day?

I've followed the fortunes of FFC for 33 years now and had 24 season tickets including every season at Westfield. My 19 month old son has already been to 3 games and will soon follow in my footsteps.

In all that time not once have the SFA or FFC asked for my opinion or suggestions on the game I've spent thousands following.

Instead I'm told by people on big salaries who get in for free what's happening and what I want.

Whenever I buy online or even when I go into B&Q I get pestered to fill In a survey on my experience and how a multinational business could do more for me.

Just saying.

The surveys probably keep going to GavFFC. You two should speak.

(If you are two)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Scott McDonald throwing a tantrum because the SPFL tweeted a clip of the most famous moment of his career.

What the hell is he moaning about. He certainly really enjoyed it when he scored.

On 26/05/2020 at 12:55, tamthebam said:

"Off the Ball" used to get fanzine editors in when it first started, which was a refreshing change to what went before. Paul Hutton used to appear talking about Falkirk for example- later he would appear as a music journalist though. That got dropped about 10 years ago. 

I still await the call to make bad puns and talk shite on air.. 

Just remember it was '' The Absolute Game '' that gave us " G##### S######' 10 worst fouls " !

2 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Outrageous stuff. @craigkillie with the correct response.

He's such an odd little c**t. I'm rather torn on him. On the one hand, he was a very decent player, did well for us and you could never doubt his commitment to the cause. The cause was Scott McDonald though -  the team paying his wages were entirely incidental.

56 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

TBF i would be pissed off if someone tagged me into something unsolicited which meant my mentions was going to be full of the absolute dregs of Twitter 

You can mute the replies to any tweet you want.

He's a wee moaning faced cúnt. What fucking legend though.
Used to greet every time a club came in for him cos Motherwell rejected their bids, Went on the park and still did his job.
I had a wee pop at him tae but I love the wee greeting faced walloper.

12 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

I get his point though. They can wish him happy birthday if the want but use a different goal rather than using that same everytime in an attempt to get the Old Firm foaming at mouth over it. 

If they're making money through clicks, why wouldn't they use a clip that'll generate more?