What's the most "Tin Pot" thing you've seen in the SPFL

It's fair to say that BT's enthusiasm for Scottish football has plummeted since Sky have bought the rights exclusively for Premiership rights next season.

Although what's tinpot about that is that the clubs demanded that the league have less televised games per season meaning 42/48 live games next term will include Celtic or Rangers. So Sky aren't going to give two shits. As much as Doncaster gets it rough, he's really screwed over by the imbecile, short-sighted things the clubs ask for at times.

It's fair to say that BT's enthusiasm for Scottish football has plummeted since Sky have bought the rights exclusively for Premiership rights next season.
Although what's tinpot about that is that the clubs demanded that the league have less televised games per season meaning 42/48 live games next term will include Celtic or Rangers. So Sky aren't going to give two shits. As much as Doncaster gets it rough, he's really screwed over by the imbecile, short-sighted things the clubs ask for at times.
The bit you've put in bold is a good thing, no? More money for fewer games being shown; less disruption to fans with bonkers kick off times (although I'd imagine the BBC Scotland random kick off generator will still be in operation). Of course in an ideal world the TV companies wouldn't be showing all the Celtic and Rangers* away games but what does broadcasting Hamilton v Aberdeen actually achieve when it inconveniences fans of those clubs and barely anyone watches the game live on TV anyway.

33 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:
6 hours ago, ArabAuslander said:

The bit you've put in bold is a good thing, no? More money for fewer games being shown; less disruption to fans with bonkers kick off times (although I'd imagine the BBC Scotland random kick off generator will still be in operation). Of course in an ideal world the TV companies wouldn't be showing all the Celtic and Rangers* away games but what does broadcasting Hamilton v Aberdeen actually achieve when it inconveniences fans of those clubs and barely anyone watches the game live on TV anyway.

I appreciate this point, but it's about Brand Identity, it means the clubs have probably lost out on an extra £10m a season. It also means that the clubs are even more reliant on the fans which means we'll have to dig deeper over the next few years to compete with European Leagues. It also means that Sky will put 0 effort into marketing our game like they do for the EFL and PL down south. It'll just be filler for them. Having so few games also pretty much revokes the idea of having set kick-off times for TV games.

It means that we'll miss out on some great fixtures next season. If Dundee were to come up with us and Hearts were to stay up, for example, Sky wouldn't be able to show every Edinburgh and Dundee Derby, which would be shite for the league overall. United will be on TV more this season in the league than next. We'll be on 5 times max next season, we're on live 3 times in April. 

At a time when leagues are providing broadcasters with more content, the SPFL (via a request from its clubs) has given Sky less. To make it worse its a Five Year Contract too. Part of me hopes that after a season of 48 games, Sky and SPFL agree a rehashed deal that raises it to 60, or even better 72 games, at something like £45m a season, that would be the ideal scenario.

34 minutes ago, ArabAuslander said:

Sky wouldn't be able to show every Edinburgh and Dundee Derby,

Tough shit.

As someone who actually attends football matches I'm looking forward to the first 3pm, Saturday Edinburgh derby for about 20 years.

1 hour ago, ArabAuslander said:

I appreciate this point, but it's about Brand Identity, it means the clubs have probably lost out on an extra £10m a season. It also means that the clubs are even more reliant on the fans which means we'll have to dig deeper over the next few years to compete with European Leagues. It also means that Sky will put 0 effort into marketing our game like they do for the EFL and PL down south. It'll just be filler for them. Having so few games also pretty much revokes the idea of having set kick-off times for TV games.

Why does this matter? Which European Leagues are "we" competing with exactly?

Are there really people out there who would start showing an interest in Scottish football if it was more effectively marketed? Isn't the real problem that most people who already are interested in Scottish football can't be arsed getting off the sofa to go and support the team playing in their own town/city?

4 hours ago, Crawford Bridge said:

Tough shit.

As someone who actually attends football matches I'm looking forward to the first 3pm, Saturday Edinburgh derby for about 20 years.

I'm fairly sure there was an Edinburgh derby at 3pm on a Saturday about eight years ago!

13 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:
19 hours ago, ArabAuslander said:

As someone who struggles to get to many games due to work and previously football commitments, I absolutely love watching SPFL games on the telly. The more the merrier. Hamilton v Aberdeen? Absolutely will watch. Elgin v Peterhead? Fucking gies it. 

Suggesting that true fans go to all the games doesnt account for all the fans that would love to go every week but can't because of work/family/financial commitments.

Edited by Jacky1990

As someone who struggles to get to many games due to work and previously football commitments, I absolutely love watching SPFL games on the telly. The more the merrier. Hamilton v Aberdeen? Absolutely will watch. Elgin v Peterhead? Fucking gies it. 
Suggesting that true fans go to all the games doesnt account for all the fans that would love to go every weel but can't because of work/family/financial commitments.
That's absolutely fine, but matchgoing fans represent by far the biggest income source for Scottish clubs, so it is perfectly reasonable to structure things to minimise disruption to those people who do go.

43 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

That's absolutely fine, but matchgoing fans represent by far the biggest income source for Scottish clubs, so it is perfectly reasonable to structure things to minimise disruption to those people who do go.

Absolutely get that and I agree there should should be more Saturday 3pm kick offs in general. But there is a fine balance between looking after fans who attend matches (which should always be priority) and getting teams on TV for the average punter to watch.

Is there also not the danger that with less TV exposure, shirt sponsors may be put off investing the same as they do now?

I also took issue to the previous posters suggestion no one wants to watch Aberdeen v Hamilton. A lot of people do. If its true that not all the Edinburgh and Dundee derbies will be televised, I personally will be gutted. Those games, especially the Dundee ones, are usually a great watch.

But anyway, we'll see what it's like next season I suppose.

9 hours ago, ArabAuslander said:

It means that we'll miss out on some great fixtures next season. If Dundee were to come up with us and Hearts were to stay up, for example, Sky wouldn't be able to show every Edinburgh and Dundee Derby, which would be shite for the league overall. United will be on TV more this season in the league than next. We'll be on 5 times max next season, we're on live 3 times in April. 

At a time when leagues are providing broadcasters with more content, the SPFL (via a request from its clubs) has given Sky less. To make it worse its a Five Year Contract too. Part of me hopes that after a season of 48 games, Sky and SPFL agree a rehashed deal that raises it to 60, or even better 72 games, at something like £45m a season, that would be the ideal scenario.

Such horseshit.

Maybe been mentioned earlier , but the inherent imbalance between home and away fixtures in the top flight is absolutely tin pot.

eg unfair that Hearts play the Hvns twice at home and only once away, compared to Accies who will have had two games at Ibrox

And after the split  there’s usually the unfairness of at least one of the fixtures being a third home game for one team against an opponent they’ve only played away once.