20th january

How's conditions in Newton Stewart?

I'm intending to make the long trek from the NE to the SW for Wigtown's match (which is moved to Blairmount Park) but 3Gs aren't 'all weather' if they're under snow.

The combination of trains & buses needed to make this mammoth day trip have some pretty tight connections too, so I could do without bus delays due to road conditions / the wrong type of snowflakes on the track.

Thanks in advance for a heads-up from anybody down there.

cheers

4 hours ago, LeedsPhil said:

How's conditions in Newton Stewart?

I'm intending to make the long trek from the NE to the SW for Wigtown's match (which is moved to Blairmount Park) but 3Gs aren't 'all weather' if they're under snow.

The combination of trains & buses needed to make this mammoth day trip have some pretty tight connections too, so I could do without bus delays due to road conditions / the wrong type of snowflakes on the track.

Thanks in advance for a heads-up from anybody down there.

cheers

Everything is fine down here, pitch should be clear by Saturday! However, not sure what the travelling will be like

Don't know where you got your information from fullback but Blairmount has been closed Wed and tonight because it is covered in snow!. Only thing that would help at the moment is rain but if it freezes its back to square one. the Wigtown game won't be certain until inspection Sat morning.

14 hours ago, info said:

Don't know where you got your information from fullback but Blairmount has been closed Wed and tonight because it is covered in snow!. Only thing that would help at the moment is rain but if it freezes its back to square one. the Wigtown game won't be certain until inspection Sat morning.

Calm down Andy. everywhere else is just about clear by now doing assumed blairmount would be clear by Saturday 

17 hours ago, LeedsPhil said:

Thanks guys.

I guess a good indicator will be whether Newton Stewart's own game (vs QoTS) goes ahead or not on Friday evening...

Newton Stewart V QOS off tonight. Frozen snow. Pitch inspection Sat AM for Wigtown game. Will need a weather chage 

8 minutes ago, info said:

Newton Stewart V QOS off tonight. Frozen snow. Pitch inspection Sat AM for Wigtown game. Will need a weather chage 

BBC forecast says sleet this evening then only +1/+2 degrees and cloudy overnight and through to KO.

Sadly, it sounds unlikely... :(

On 18/01/2018 at 09:55, fullback said:

Could be a few games off this week?

I’m hearing the Creetown game was very sensibly cancelled yesterday morning and at this time of year it’s good to see Clubs using common sense and a little forward planning to allow their players and the officials to reassess their plans for the weekend. Great to see some teams giving consideration to the opposition as well rather than wait for these last minute call offs which don’t serve any purpose when it’s clearly been envitable the fixture would be postponed anyway - kudos to the lads down at the Ferry 

22 hours ago, info said:

P-P

Oh well, as long as the next attempt is on a Saturday (impossible for me to travel down any other day).

17 hours ago, Eck’s played a blinder said:

I’m hearing the Creetown game was very sensibly cancelled yesterday morning and at this time of year it’s good to see Clubs using common sense and a little forward planning to allow their players and the officials to reassess their plans for the weekend. Great to see some teams giving consideration to the opposition as well rather than wait for these last minute call offs which don’t serve any purpose when it’s clearly been envitable the fixture would be postponed anyway - kudos to the lads down at the Ferry 

Not really a fair comment as pitches vary so much. A light sandy or a artificial pitch can recover quickly from heavy rain.  A heavy soil pitch can't.

You can sweep snow off a grass pitch without doing much damage but it is not recommended on plastic as you would have to replace the rubber crumb at considerable cost.

By all means, use your common sense but make every effort to get games played. 

30 minutes ago, info said:

Not really a fair comment as pitches vary so much. A light sandy or a artificial pitch can recover quickly from heavy rain.  A heavy soil pitch can't.

You can sweep snow off a grass pitch without doing much damage but it is not recommended on plastic as you would have to replace the rubber crumb at considerable cost.

What’s wrong with blairmount andy?

1 hour ago, info said:

Apologies Info wasnt having a go at anyone simply giving credit for the early call off although I’m fully aware that isnt always the case in the SOSFL.

6 minutes ago, Psychotic Reaction said:

Kudos indeed!!! Very well said EPaB. One can only hope that this noble gesture is recognised in some way. A FIFA Fair Play award perhaps, hopefully winging its way to Castle Cary as we speak....(.although it may have to float the last wee bit ) ;-)

I think everyone is aware the grass pitches struggle at this time of year PS therefore the sensible option is to make the early call for both Clubs benefit not to mention the officials . If the same consideration was shown every week over the Winter months we wouldn't have all these disgruntled last minute postponements 

Archived