Montrose vs Clyde

29 minutes ago, fandabbywee78 said:

It’s just a pity that the dive from Templeman for the penalty cost us the clean sheet.

I'll admit your keeper had a couple of great stops working towards a clean sheet, but I was exactly in line with the incident and his feet were definitely swiped away from the ball in the box. Our highlights are usually pretty decent. Irrelevant now anyway. 

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair play to Clyde, the better team on the day won without a doubt. I've seen all our games against Clyde this season and generally they've played well so why do they play shite against everybody else?

From the Mo point of view quite frankly I've seen this coming and others who go to both home and away games probably did as well. 

Who knows where that came from? Players looking to keep the ball and pass it under pressure, last ditch defending, quick counter attacks. Crazy. Given our recent run hopefully the Montrose fans won't begrudge us a long awaited victory.

First half was pretty even but we made the breakthrough when Lang's ball forward (I think) took a nick off a defender and spun up for Love to loop a header over a goalkeeper who seemed unnecessarily far off his line, perhaps deceived by any deflection the ball did take. For the first time since Chapman left, someone other than Goodwillie was on the score-sheet. Before half-time, Montrose could easily have been level with Currie's leg keeping out a close range Fraser shot (either fortunate, or a wonderful save), whilst Johnston failed to react to a looping ball forward that should have seen him convert from 6 yards, only for the ball to bobble through to Currie.

Second half we were a lot better defensively and countered to good effect. Great ball from Lang into Goodwillie inside the box and although he had unmarked men over on the left, he chose to head the other way and crack a great shot into the net. Montrose quickly introduced their second and third substitutes and Templeman looked to have halved the deficit only for Currie to produce a quite outstanding save to tip the ball over the bar. That was telling as within a couple of minutes we'd added a third goal when Goodwillie went for a wander with the ball, tried a flick to Cuddihy that just kept the ball in his own path, before setting up Lamont to swing a superb left-footed shot in from 20 yards, right into the top corner. The Clyde support were right behind it to see it arcing beautifully into the net and it'll be a justifiable contender for our goal of the season.

The game didn't feel dead (months without a win will always do that) but in reality our defending was stout enough to mean that it was over. Templeman won a penalty; I thought his quick feet saw him clipped by Home; he's so gangly that he'll always look like he's diving unless he's clattered, whilst the referee couldn't really have been in a better position. Fraser netted it. Could have been a nervy conclusion were it not for a block on the line by Stewart, or a fantastic diving tackle by McNiff. That said, Lamont also had a clear run through on goal but after a superb first touch, over-ran the ball and the goalkeeper came out to claim. A wee bit of keep-ball in the corner and the game was finished.

Negatives first. Lang clearly hasn't played much at right back and his positioning in the first half in particular was awful. He was either too tight to Home, or had disappeared up the pitch to take a throw-in and not got back into position. Steeves had a free run of the left side for much of the game, until we brought Duffie on to sit in front of him.  I still think a back four doesn't suit us but if it gets Stewart in the team, it's maybe worth persevering with.  There was one free-kick that Montrose took in the first half from about 40 yards out that was played to a striker who was completely unmarked in the box and able to turn and get an unopposed shot in (somehow over the bar), only for the linesman to flag for offside. It was some of the worst defending I've seen, and given our performances over the last year that's saying something. Lamont in the first half occasionally won the ball with rash bursts of closing down, but he also left huge spaces that Montrose found space to pass through. Second half Lennon obviously had a word as he was far more disciplined. 

Positives, and plenty of them. Currie had two terrific saves and it was interesting to see Montrose marking him in the second half whenever he had the ball so he had to kick from hand, rather than the ground as that was a key part of our countering in the first 55 minutes or so. Lang stuck to his task despite being dragged all over the place and his ball to Goodwillie for his goal was terrific. Stewart was what you'd expect; almost nothing came down their right hand side and he covered inside well. Home had a good game bar the penalty. McNiff was mostly McNiff but had that one superb block late on to stop a certain goal.

The game was won and lost in midfield and Nicoll had comfortably his best game of the season. I've given him plenty of stick but he was everywhere defensively today, and he used the ball constructively as well. Of course, a lot of that is down to the four in front of him; real energy, pace and composure on the ball. Nicoll can't pass the ball further than 10 yards and they gave him options to receive it short. Cuddihy was awful in the first ten minutes but then settled down to a typical performance where he picked up loose balls and kept possession, whilst getting up in support of Goodwillie. Lamont was my man of the match; I've referenced his first half defensive deficiencies but his performance on the ball was top notch and lifted our performance to a level we've not seen all season. Always in space, able to go past a player and he scored a superb goal. A number of people have said he should have been given more game time; the evidence today was staggering. I'd love to know how much ground he and Cuddihy covered.

Love (right side) and Millar (left side) worked hard and also kept possession more times than they lost it. Like the rest of the team they tried to keep the ball rather than passing on responsibility. Millar's performance was like when we used to play Jordan White out wide; today was the first time he's not looked a complete passenger. I've said Lamont is my man of the match, and both Nicoll and Currie were similarly in the running, but Goodwillie's second half performance was ridiculous. He absolutely ripped a good Montrose back three to pieces. With us having the lead, any time we were under the cosh the ball just stuck with him until the rest of the team had a breather, then he moved it on to one of the midfield. The truth is, that he probably was our best player, but that's just the standard we expect of him? He fair enjoyed his goal as well.

It's obviously good to get a win and get a decent gap over Cowdenbeath but it's a shame we've got Peterhead next week. The watching Jim McInally may have celebrated our goals but he'll still be pretty confident of getting a win next week having seen some of the gaps in our backline. Additions are still very much required. Hopefully we'll put in a decent display to build some momentum before Edinburgh visit the week after though.

Montrose were rubbish today and gave us plenty of help. They'll rightly point to some missed chances at key points of the game, but some of their distribution was absolutely woeful, whilst their strikers aren't good enough to dig them out of trouble when the rest of the team isn't playing well. Millar, who has played well against Clyde in the past, looked completely shorn of confidence in goals. They know this themselves, but playing their 352 and losing Ballantyne is a huge loss. Still think they'll make the playoffs though,and probably in second place.

Well deserved win for clyde we just never turned up yesterday at all.Puzzling why he started McLaren,Johnson again who were both poor at Edinburgh especially when you have Masson and Callaghan both on the bench.

Well that performance (result too!) is why Peterhead will win the league and we won't. Granted, we had two corners well cleared (one header off the line and one very excellent save) and another excellent block on a goalbound Webby drive, but this was all final 15 minutes and by then it was far too late. 
Usual dogged performance from Clyde - niggling and pushing and time-wasting: we had no real response to that and we couldn't get in about them so they deserved those 3 points. Celebrated like they'd won the league mind you, but why not after their season so far. Couple of Clyde's goals excellently taken too, so no complaints there. 
We've done well this season to play poorly at times but get 1-0 wins. Today was not one of those days. Playoff consolidation is a must v Stirling next week but I may save my pennies after today's showing.
Fuming. Pleasing. Round ye

Who knows where that came from? Players looking to keep the ball and pass it under pressure, last ditch defending, quick counter attacks. Crazy. Given our recent run hopefully the Montrose fans won't begrudge us a long awaited victory.
First half was pretty even but we made the breakthrough when Lang's ball forward (I think) took a nick off a defender and spun up for Love to loop a header over a goalkeeper who seemed unnecessarily far off his line, perhaps deceived by any deflection the ball did take. For the first time since Chapman left, someone other than Goodwillie was on the score-sheet. Before half-time, Montrose could easily have been level with Currie's leg keeping out a close range Fraser shot (either fortunate, or a wonderful save), whilst Johnston failed to react to a looping ball forward that should have seen him convert from 6 yards, only for the ball to bobble through to Currie.
Second half we were a lot better defensively and countered to good effect. Great ball from Lang into Goodwillie inside the box and although he had unmarked men over on the left, he chose to head the other way and crack a great shot into the net. Montrose quickly introduced their second and third substitutes and Templeman looked to have halved the deficit only for Currie to produce a quite outstanding save to tip the ball over the bar. That was telling as within a couple of minutes we'd added a third goal when Goodwillie went for a wander with the ball, tried a flick to Cuddihy that just kept the ball in his own path, before setting up Lamont to swing a superb left-footed shot in from 20 yards, right into the top corner. The Clyde support were right behind it to see it arcing beautifully into the net and it'll be a justifiable contender for our goal of the season.
The game didn't feel dead (months without a win will always do that) but in reality our defending was stout enough to mean that it was over. Templeman won a penalty; I thought his quick feet saw him clipped by Home; he's so gangly that he'll always look like he's diving unless he's clattered, whilst the referee couldn't really have been in a better position. Fraser netted it. Could have been a nervy conclusion were it not for a block on the line by Stewart, or a fantastic diving tackle by McNiff. That said, Lamont also had a clear run through on goal but after a superb first touch, over-ran the ball and the goalkeeper came out to claim. A wee bit of keep-ball in the corner and the game was finished.
Negatives first. Lang clearly hasn't played much at right back and his positioning in the first half in particular was awful. He was either too tight to Home, or had disappeared up the pitch to take a throw-in and not got back into position. Steeves had a free run of the left side for much of the game, until we brought Duffie on to sit in front of him.  I still think a back four doesn't suit us but if it gets Stewart in the team, it's maybe worth persevering with.  There was one free-kick that Montrose took in the first half from about 40 yards out that was played to a striker who was completely unmarked in the box and able to turn and get an unopposed shot in (somehow over the bar), only for the linesman to flag for offside. It was some of the worst defending I've seen, and given our performances over the last year that's saying something. Lamont in the first half occasionally won the ball with rash bursts of closing down, but he also left huge spaces that Montrose found space to pass through. Second half Lennon obviously had a word as he was far more disciplined. 
Positives, and plenty of them. Currie had two terrific saves and it was interesting to see Montrose marking him in the second half whenever he had the ball so he had to kick from hand, rather than the ground as that was a key part of our countering in the first 55 minutes or so. Lang stuck to his task despite being dragged all over the place and his ball to Goodwillie for his goal was terrific. Stewart was what you'd expect; almost nothing came down their right hand side and he covered inside well. Home had a good game bar the penalty. McNiff was mostly McNiff but had that one superb block late on to stop a certain goal.
The game was won and lost in midfield and Nicoll had comfortably his best game of the season. I've given him plenty of stick but he was everywhere defensively today, and he used the ball constructively as well. Of course, a lot of that is down to the four in front of him; real energy, pace and composure on the ball. Nicoll can't pass the ball further than 10 yards and they gave him options to receive it short. Cuddihy was awful in the first ten minutes but then settled down to a typical performance where he picked up loose balls and kept possession, whilst getting up in support of Goodwillie. Lamont was my man of the match; I've referenced his first half defensive deficiencies but his performance on the ball was top notch and lifted our performance to a level we've not seen all season. Always in space, able to go past a player and he scored a superb goal. A number of people have said he should have been given more game time; the evidence today was staggering. I'd love to know how much ground he and Cuddihy covered.
Love (right side) and Millar (left side) worked hard and also kept possession more times than they lost it. Like the rest of the team they tried to keep the ball rather than passing on responsibility. Millar's performance was like when we used to play Jordan White out wide; today was the first time he's not looked a complete passenger. I've said Lamont is my man of the match, and both Nicoll and Currie were similarly in the running, but Goodwillie's second half performance was ridiculous. He absolutely ripped a good Montrose back three to pieces. With us having the lead, any time we were under the cosh the ball just stuck with him until the rest of the team had a breather, then he moved it on to one of the midfield. The truth is, that he probably was our best player, but that's just the standard we expect of him? He fair enjoyed his goal as well.
It's obviously good to get a win and get a decent gap over Cowdenbeath but it's a shame we've got Peterhead next week. The watching Jim McInally may have celebrated our goals but he'll still be pretty confident of getting a win next week having seen some of the gaps in our backline. Additions are still very much required. Hopefully we'll put in a decent display to build some momentum before Edinburgh visit the week after though.
Montrose were rubbish today and gave us plenty of help. They'll rightly point to some missed chances at key points of the game, but some of their distribution was absolutely woeful, whilst their strikers aren't good enough to dig them out of trouble when the rest of the team isn't playing well. Millar, who has played well against Clyde in the past, looked completely shorn of confidence in goals. They know this themselves, but playing their 352 and losing Ballantyne is a huge loss. Still think they'll make the playoffs though,and probably in second place.

This must be the biggest yawn of all time.

Great Performance, and of course result. Team Selection was as good as we could have hoped for. Still think we could do with more options at Right back. Nicol's best game in a clyde jersey by far, and Home is turning into my player of the year, as we all know what Goodwillie can do. His 2nd half perfomance yesterday was more than a cut above.

Negatives - David W's match reports are his own views. Sometimes I dont agree with them, but I'm sure for the many supporters who are on here who dont go to many away games  - it's an invaluable insight.

Also, bad time to get three points with our nearest rivals were not playing. How the hell are we going to scrap the CIC if we're still in the senior leagues.

24 minutes ago, shawfield shed boy said:

Nicoll does his job. As a support we can be very critical and negative. Get KN a playmaker. Defence splitter what ever you want to call it. He always does the job of breaking up play and never shy with a tackle. Likeable

Whilst I agree we can have a critical and negative support - Nicol for me to this point has had more bad games than good. I agree with DW that he takes 1 too many touches, but if he carries on and performs most weeks like yesterday I'm sure even DW would concede he will be effective.

Archived