Laptop Startup Problem

My laptop went into startup repair mode this morning and gave me the option of restoring to a previous time when it was OK which worked. 

It's now going into startup mode again but saying that it can't repair the computer automatically. I've tried this 4 or 5 times now and seem to be stuck in a cycle of this. 

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have business docs on there I need to access. Any advice is much appreciated. 

4 minutes ago, Boostin' Kev said:

My laptop went into startup repair mode this morning and gave me the option of restoring to a previous time when it was OK which worked. 

It's now going into startup mode again but saying that it can't repair the computer automatically. I've tried this 4 or 5 times now and seem to be stuck in a cycle of this. 

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have business docs on there I need to access. Any advice is much appreciated. 

Have you tried starting on safe mode just to access the documents? In the longer term I think you'll have to access the list of start up programmes and delete stuff until you find the bogey, but that would take a while.

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Have you tried starting on safe mode just to access the documents? In the longer term I think you'll have to access the list of start up programmes and delete stuff until you find the bogey, but that would take a while.

It's been playing up for a while to be honest so am booking an appointment to get it looked at on Wednesday or will replace it if it has to be done. How do I access safe mode? This really isn't a strong point of mine! There's invoices and spreadsheets on there I could do with backing up which I should have done by now of course. 

15 minutes ago, Boostin' Kev said:

It's been playing up for a while to be honest so am booking an appointment to get it looked at on Wednesday or will replace it if it has to be done. How do I access safe mode? This really isn't a strong point of mine! There's invoices and spreadsheets on there I could do with backing up which I should have done by now of course. 

You used to switch it off and start again, immediately clicking on F8 and you'd get a menu where start up in safe mode was an option. If you're on Windows 10 the procedure may have changed. Someone with more knowledge would be of more use to you. @BigFatTabbyDave ?

P.S. There are a few options here but I don't know if you'll be able to access them if you're stuck in start up repair.

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-10

10 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

You used to switch it off and start again, immediately clicking on F8 and you'd get a menu where start up in safe mode was an option. If you're on Windows 10 the procedure may have changed. Someone with more knowledge would be of more use to you. @BigFatTabbyDave ?

P.S. There are a few options here but I don't know if you'll be able to access them if you're stuck in start up repair.

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-10

Thanks, launched safe mode but it just took me back into the startup repair cycle again. Will look at that link. 

I'm on windows 7, it's an older laptop. 

5 minutes ago, Boostin' Kev said:

Thanks, launched safe mode but it just took me back into the startup repair cycle again. Will look at that link. 

I'm on windows 7, it's an older laptop. 

Forget about safe mode then and the link. That was the limit of my tips I'm afraid. Good luck!

9 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Forget about safe mode then and the link. That was the limit of my tips I'm afraid. Good luck!

No problem, thanks for the advice. Had a similar problem in the past where safe mode worked, couldn't remember how to access it. 

Just now, Boostin' Kev said:

No problem, thanks for the advice. Had a similar problem in the past where safe mode worked, couldn't remember how to access it. 

Found this but it looks too complicated for me. 

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/139576-startup-repair-infinite-loop-recovery.html

Sounds like the HD could be gubbed. If you've important files on there, take the hard drive out, put it in a USB caddy and access them from another machine.

You might have to boot from your Windows 7 installation disc and choose the 'repair' option, if WB's link above doesn't work out.

If it was me, I'd whip the hard drive out and connect it to another PC with a SATA to USB adaptor (they cost a couple of quid on eBay). Then you can make a backup of the whole drive before you fiddle around with it any further, or just access the files you need. Saves any tears if somehow your data gets lost during the recovery process. You'd need to change permissions on the files, but one of us could walk you through that.

I see Gaz beat me to it  :lol:

The hard drive could well be on its last legs - you can download free programs that will show you the built-in statistics that the drive keeps on itself, which would give you an idea if it's dying. There's an article on some here - it's been a long time since I've needed to use one, so I'm in no position to recommend these days, but don't pay for one.

Thanks again for the replies. I'll take it to a place nearby that has a good reputation for laptop repairs. They mentioned that they can move my hard drive files onto an external hard drive, not sure if that's what you mean. Will probably just buy a new one tbh the signs have been there for a while that it's been failing and I've had good use from it. Glad I emailed my 16/17 accounts to somebody last week so I can at least get that in the short term for my tax return at the end of the month. 

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Is it straightforward to whip a hard drive out of a laptop? Sounds like he'd be best waiting for the guru on Wednesday to have a look if he can wait that long for his business stuff.

Yep, it's almost always dead easy. Usually a wee panel on the bottom or side, held in place with one screw, under which the drive sits ready to be pulled out (gently). If Kev lets us know the make & model number, one of us can find a YouTube video of someone removing it, or just a company tech manual. Removing/replacing a laptop hard drive is usually the easiest hardware-based thing you can do.

He probably won't have a caddy/adaptor before Wednesday anyway, so waiting for the guru is probably the most sensible thing.

1 minute ago, Boostin' Kev said:

Glad I emailed my 16/17 accounts to somebody last week so I can at least get that in the short term for my tax return at the end of the month. 

Please tell HMRC that I'll have mine with them any day now  :shutup

5 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Yep, it's almost always dead easy. Usually a wee panel on the bottom or side, held in place with one screw, under which the drive sits ready to be pulled out (gently). If Kev lets us know the make & model number, one of us can find a YouTube video of someone removing it, or just a company tech manual. Removing/replacing a laptop hard drive is usually the easiest hardware-based thing you can do.

He probably won't have a caddy/adaptor before Wednesday anyway, so waiting for the guru is probably the most sensible thing.

Thanks for the offer of help but I'll definitely take it to a guru. This is well out of my depth.  Been meaning to replace the laptop for a long time now. I thought nothing of paying over £300 for a Bluetooth speaker last month but can't bring myself to pay an extra couple of hundred for a laptop which I need for business. :lol:

@welshbairn @BigFatTabbyDave @Gaz

Got an appointment tomorrow at a place in my area that's a social enterprise with an emphasis remaking/refurbishing and looking after existing equipment rather buying new items. Has a very good reputation and does free Thursday night sessions on laptop maintenance which I'll start attending. 

Assuming my current laptop is finished I'll be looking for something under £500 and wondered what you all thought of this refurbished MacBook at £450 that they're selling just now. I have no clue about these things at all tbh. 

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Refurbished-Macbook-Pro-15-Late-2011-6gb-RaM-320gb-HDD-Charity/232605434024?rmvSB=true&ul_ref=https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5575202480&campid=5337937702&toolid=10039&customid=t%3Aitem-u%3A16401&mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fitm%2F232605434024&srcrot=710-53481-19255-0&rvr_id=1417396107268&_mwBanner=1&ul_noapp=true

8 minutes ago, Boostin' Kev said:

@welshbairn @BigFatTabbyDave @Gaz

Got an appointment tomorrow at a place in my area that's a social enterprise with an emphasis remaking/refurbishing and looking after existing equipment rather buying new items. Has a very good reputation and does free Thursday night sessions on laptop maintenance which I'll start attending. 

Assuming my current laptop is finished I'll be looking for something under £500 and wondered what you all thought of this refurbished MacBook at £450 that they're selling just now. I have no clue about these things at all tbh. 

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll

Link doesn't work and have never used a Mac. However you could get a very decent new laptop for that price with a year's guarantee if you're not specifically looking for Apple.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Link doesn't work and have never used a Mac. However you could get a very decent new laptop for £500 with a year's guarantee if you're not specifically looking for Apple.

I've sorted the link now. Not bothered about a mac specifically, just thought it'd be good to support a local company like this but only if it's good value. 

Any recommendations for a laptop under £500 for general things like browsing, streaming, word processing? 

Archived