A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

9 hours ago, Specky Ginger said:

The last Cowdenbeath team, resplendent in their away strips, to play in the top flight of Scottish football.

Screenshot_20230319-214505~2.png

I seem to recall a forward with the surname Sugden being in the Cowden team at this time.  Perhaps he was in the pavilion having a slash when this photo was taken 🤔

24 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I seem to recall a forward with the surname Sugden being in the Cowden team at this time.  Perhaps he was in the pavilion having a slash when this photo was taken 🤔

Or maybe he was taking the photo 😉

8 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

FtQP8CeXsAAfONF.jpeg.jpg.9cfd71a3c6ea4e523dbf8455dce237c1.jpg

Saw this on Twitter, Aberdeen v Hibs in a league game in August 1947. Crowd 40,000. No idea if that figure includes the people on the roof.

In those days it wouldn't even include the ones in the ground.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

15 hours ago, TxRover said:

Fun summary:

The FA's first Laws of the Game of 1863 did not make any special provision for a goalkeeper, with any player being allowed to catch or knock-on the ball. Handling the ball was completely forbidden (for all players) in 1870. The next year, 1871, the laws were amended to introduce the goalkeeper and specify that the keeper was allowed to handle the ball "for the protection of his goal". The restrictions on the ability of the goalkeeper to handle the ball were changed several times in subsequent revisions of the laws:

1871: the keeper may handle the ball only "for the protection of his goal".

1873: the keeper may not "carry" the ball.

1883: the keeper may not carry the ball for more than two steps.

1887: the keeper may not handle the ball in the opposition's half.

1901: the keeper may handle the ball for any purpose (not only in defence of the goal).

1912: the keeper may handle the ball only in the penalty area.

1931: the keeper may take up to four steps (rather than two) while carrying the ball.

1992: the keeper may not handle the ball after it has been deliberately kicked to him/her by a team-mate.

1997: the keeper may not handle the ball for more than six seconds.

Can you send this to Tannadice and clarify these don't all apply at the same time, there's obviously been some confusion here.

18 hours ago, Specky Ginger said:

The last Cowdenbeath team, resplendent in their away strips, to play in the top flight of Scottish football.

Screenshot_20230319-214505~2.png

Andy Kinnell was ex-Don George Kinnell's brother, who I saw play against Falkirk in my first Dons' match.

https://afcheritage.org/matches/fixtures/mreport.cfm?fixture_id=2627&season=1963-64&squad=Senior

The he went off to Stoke City.

I don't think the two are connected.

Edited by Jacksgranda

20 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

FtQP8CeXsAAfONF.jpeg.jpg.9cfd71a3c6ea4e523dbf8455dce237c1.jpg

Saw this on Twitter, Aberdeen v Hibs in a league game in August 1947. Crowd 40,000. No idea if that figure includes the people on the roof.

They'd have had a more exciting time of it if they had stood on the gasometer...

19 hours ago, Specky Ginger said:

Meadowbank Thistle (either 86/87 or 87/88 given Darren Jackson is in the photo).

Screenshot_20230409-130714~2.png

It's 86-87, Dave Roseburgh is in the picture. 

It's not 1987-88 as Cindy Jackson was signed by Newcastle in 1986 and Nipper Lawrence was signed by Dundee in 1987.

Of course any Livingston fan could have told you all this (my arse)

Saturday 5th October 1974 at Boghead Park, when Celtic defeated Dumbarton 3-1 in a league fixture with goals from Dalglish, Johnstone and Deans, with former Lisbon Lion Willie Wallace scoring for the home side.  The picture foreground shows another ex-Celt John Cushley, King Kenny, Jim 'Jumbo' Muir and Roddy MacDonald, whilst Dumbarton Rock can be seen in the background above the faraway Celtic player.

Groundsman Dick Jackson had obviously worked overtime to get Boghead into bowling green condition for our big city visitors as I don't ever recall it looking as silky as that.

V Celtic 5th October 1974 #1.jpg

8 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

It's not 1987-88 as Cindy Jackson was signed by Newcastle in 1986 and Nipper Lawrence was signed by Dundee in 1987.

That makes sense as Meadowbank's 87/88 team photo would have the Second Division trophy on display having been won the previous season.

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

Andy Kinnell was ex-Don George Kinnell's brother, who I saw play against Falkirk in my first Dons' match.

https://afcheritage.org/matches/fixtures/mreport.cfm?fixture_id=2627&season=1963-64&squad=Senior

The he went off to Stoke City.

I don't think the two are connected.

I knew his other brother,  F. U. Kinnell……😗😗

On 10/04/2023 at 18:35, tamthebam said:

John McGachie sitting to the right of Terry Christie as we look at the picture (Was TC a player manager here?), McGachie scored a hat trick on his Stirling Albion debut at Stranraer in January 91 and the winning goal as promotion and the Division 2 title was secured with a single goal victory at Montrose in the April, he was promptly released by the Albion that summer after only a few months at Annfield, joining Montrose ironically and, inevitably scoring a hat trick against the Albion in the October 🤦‍♂️🤣

Remember the big goalkeeper for Meadowbank here, Jim McQueen, was he a fireman from what my memory seems to suggest?

On 10/04/2023 at 19:03, Dirty Sanchez said:

Looking like he needs a hair dryer himself, Fergie, hailing a taxi in Paisley, 1977.

image.png.25755c2809a677bb3b8fd3fd304be1e2.png

Fergies first game in charge of Manchester United against Oxford United.

The guy on the the right is Derek Sutton (Sooty) the team bus driver, when Fergie twigged there was a stranger on the bench he asked 'who are you?' Sutton replied 'I'm Sooty, the bus driver' to be told 'I don't give a f**k who you are get the f**k out of here'

The day Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson gave the bus driver the hairdryer treatment

1 hour ago, Flybhoy said:

John McGachie sitting to the right of Terry Christie as we look at the picture (Was TC a player manager here?), McGachie scored a hat trick on his Stirling Albion debut at Stranraer in January 91 and the winning goal as promotion and the Division 2 title was secured with a single goal victory at Montrose in the April, he was promptly released by the Albion that summer after only a few months at Annfield, joining Montrose ironically and, inevitably scoring a hat trick against the Albion in the October 🤦‍♂️🤣

Remember the big goalkeeper for Meadowbank here, Jim McQueen, was he a fireman from what my memory seems to suggest?

"Fireman Jim, Fireman Jim, Fireman Jim and his fire engine" as the chant went. 

The Scottish Fire Brigade team had some talented players back then- Airdrie's Evan Balfour, Fireman Jim, Cove's Mike Megginson (dad of Mitch) and Jim Bowie of Craigroyston (ex Dunfermline and Meadowbank)

Jim had a testimonial dinner when Blobby Hunter was the Chairman, told him exactly what he thought of him and got a free transfer to Clydebank as a result. This helped the 3rd choice keeper at the time, one Robert Douglas... 

3 hours ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

when Fergie twigged there was a stranger on the bench he asked 'who are you?' Sutton replied 'I'm Sooty, the bus driver' to be told 'I don't give a f**k who you are get the f**k out of here'

A slightly unreasonable response, given that he'd apparently just asked him who he was.

13 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

sport-football-circa-1906-hampden-park-g
1024?resizeSmaller=0

201150.jpg?itok=EiKmZFNQ

aacfc36b891bfa1a60727c6efba03176.jpg

hampden-1940s.43a31cde.webp

queens-park-and-scotland-hampden-park-so

b.jpg

The photo at the top of @HibeeJibee's fine montage of Hampden images also appears in Simon Inglis's excellent book "The Football Grounds of Great Britain" (1987).  That photo is described by Inglis as "the Third Hampden Park" completed in 1903 with the photo itself dated as c. 1904.  The queues forming at corrugated pay boxes and also showing the two main (south) stands still to be linked by a central pavilion.