A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

On 29/03/2023 at 20:43, Piquet said:

Another from The League Magazine

Ian Ure and Denis Law are sent off for fighting at Old Trafford in 1967. 

A year or so later, Ure was transferred to United. 

20230329_204042.jpg

I met Ian Ure at a Dundee FC function once. He still has great affection for the club and describes the day they won the league in 62 as the greatest day of his life. He spoke fondly of his time at Arsenal but admitted that injuries meant that he was way beyond his best at Old Trafford and he felt he never did himself justice there.

He made my night when he said that he often told people that 'he played for 2 of the greatest clubs in the world.......and Manchester United'

Aberdeen v Morton in the Quarter Final of the Scottish Cup in 1978.

Not sure who the airborne Dons player is, but the others are George Anderson, Drew Jarvie and Tommy Veitch.

Both Andy Ritchie and John Goldthorp scored in injury time to give us a 2-2 draw and a replay at Cappielow.

1978.3.11Aberdeen2-2Morton(3).thumb.jpg.84f3113a5ffce38e96c7b3fa0aeb084b.jpg

This is from that replay, which the Dons won 2-1. No breathing space in the Cowshed.

This was the first Morton game which my dad and I attended and we were hooked from that moment.

We'd go on to win the 1st division at the end of that season.

1978.3.15Morton1-2Aberdeen(5).thumb.jpg.11f202b1184b6b8feac75d8bfb2bb463.jpg

22 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

Not sure who the airborne Dons player is, but the others are George Anderson, Drew Jarvie and Tommy Veitch.

Both Andy Ritchie and John Goldthorp scored in injury time to give us a 2-2 draw and a replay at Cappielow.

This is from that replay, which the Dons won 2-1. No breathing space in the Cowshed.

This was the first Morton game which my dad and I attended and we were hooked from that moment.

Duncan Davidson?

5 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

The airborne Don is the only one that didn't play for Airdrie.

John Anderson in action for South Melbourne Hellas sometime in the 1960’s. Possibly the only Third Lanark player capped by Australia. 5 times in 1965 including Australia’s first attempt at WC qualifying with 2 games v North Korea. He also played for Morton and Johnstone Burch.

This Is a link to his obituary from Football Victoria. 2 of the players in the 1965 squad photo are also Scottish, Archie Blue (Royal Albert and Hearts) and Pat Hughes (Duntocher Hibs and Morton).  https://www.footballvictoria.com.au/news/vale-john-anderson

IMG_1589.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Hawkeye the Gnu said:

Thanks for that.

Does that mean the goalie had to stay within the boobies and a penalty could be given if the offence happened at a corner flag? Or am I reading that wrong?

No idea although this says the goalie had to be at least 6 yards from the ball. One of the players on the goal line in the photo is probably the goalie as they used two wear the same coloured shirts back then.

Why was the rule enforced?

The penalty kick was invented in the year, 1890 by an Irish footballer by the name of William McGann. McGann was a goalkeeper himself, who played for Milford FC in the very first season of the Irish league.

However, it was a member of the Irish Football Association who was pivotal in making the idea of a penalty kick one of the laws of the game. Defenders were finding it easy to stop oncoming attackers from scoring a goal by fouling them close to the goal – the 12-yard area which we now know as the penalty box. The proposition to make the penalty kick a law was to prevent this very dirty trick used by defenders. The proposition was accepted, and it became a part of the rules as Rule number 13. in 1891. The law read:

“If any player shall intentionally trip or hold an opposing player, or deliberately handle the ball within twelve yards from his own goal line, the referee shall, on appeal, award the opposing side a penalty kick, to be taken from any point 12 yards from the goal line, under the following conditions: All players, with the exception of the player taking the penalty kick and the goalkeeper, shall stand behind the ball and at least six yards from it; the ball shall be in play when the kick is taken. A goal may be scored from a penalty kick.”

Still clear as mud isn’t it. The goalie can’t come out of the boobies and needs to stay 6 yards from the ball, which must have been difficult as his opponents are going to be firing the ball towards him.

was the penalty line 12 yards out or 18 yards as mentioned earlier?

And we think the offside law’s complicated.  🤯

My understanding, The tits were the 6 yard box, used the same as today for where you could take a goal kick from but the measurements were taken from each post. 

The 12 yard line was for taking penalty’s from(and where penalty’s could be given) the 18 being where everyone else had to stay behind whilst it was took.  The keeper was to stay within 6 yards of the line.    Practically I would think that would mean most penalty’s would be taken in the middle of the pitch with the keeper standing just outside the middle of the tits.

When that was adapted to the modern pitch the 18 yard line became where penaltys could be conceded, a concession for a bigger distance based on that no longer would the full width be a possible penalty, it was also stupid to keep a full line when everyone took from the same spot, so just mark that spot.  And I guess the tits were seen to be needlessly annoying to mark when in practice the curve didn’t change much, so they just squared it off