A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

Another curio from the archives.  This is the Dumbarton team which against all likelihood won promotion to the Premier Division in 1983/84.  As a reward, charismatic but sadly short-lived owner Sir Hugh Fraser (right background with deep tan) took the squad to Spain, and this is them at Glasgow Airport about to depart.

The players on view are Joe Coyle, Erich Schaedler, Gordon Arthur, Tommy Coyle, Alan Kay, Gerry Crawley, Mark Clougherty, Stevie McCahill, Albert Craig, and (front) Stuart McIver and Allan Moore.  The bald guy sitting in the loud shirt insisted on getting their autographs.

DFC 1984.PNG

2 hours ago, hk blues said:

Having the smallest guy in the team as the goalie was probably a sign of things to come!

Was there not a problem with the actual Selkirk team and they drafted in the ‘Vics’ players from the amateur league to play?

Basically a lads day out to Stirling by the sounds of it!

Just now, Spyro said:

Was there not a problem with the actual Selkirk team and they drafted in the ‘Vics’ players from the amateur league to play?

I've no idea mate, I just thought it funny

15 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Another curio from the archives.  This is the Dumbarton team which against all likelihood won promotion to the Premier Division in 1983/84.  As a reward, charismatic but sadly short-lived owner Sir Hugh Fraser (right background with deep tan) took the squad to Spain, and this is them at Glasgow Airport about to depart.

The players on view are Joe Coyle, Erich Schaedler, Gordon Arthur, Tommy Coyle, Alan Kay, Gerry Crawley, Mark Clougherty, Stevie McCahill, Albert Craig, and (front) Stuart McIver and Allan Moore.  The bald guy sitting in the loud shirt insisted on getting their autographs.

DFC 1984.PNG

At 1st glance I thought it was Sean Connery.

20 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

DFC 1984.PNG

Why is the club badge on the wrong tit?

2 hours ago, Spyro said:

I think Selkirk FC were in abeyance at the time and the Vics came in from the Borders Amateur League. 

A pal of mine was at the game. He used to say "Stirling got 18 breakaways"! 

Stirling Albion: 30th anniversary of 20-goal Cup victory - BBC Sport

On 16/03/2023 at 15:05, kingjoey said:

Absolutely loved Arthur Bumper Graham. He had just come into the team before my first Cup Final in 1970 and he will always be special in my eyes. Ian Scanlan was ok, but no more than that, whereas Peter Weir was a magnificent player. The best of the three for me and his unforgettable performance against Ipswich at Pittodrie was, well, unforgettable. 

Pretty well spot on with that. Bumper was by far the best entertainer but with limited options ahead (Joey (nah not you) and Drew) and much depended on the opposition. Scanlon a good workhorse and Weir, well, a real head down hard runner skilful mover with a vision of what  lay ahead. Is the day of the great winger gone forever? Last decent one to grace the home dressing room?

On 16/03/2023 at 23:19, Specky Ginger said:

The Selkirk team at Annfield, just before their 20-0 defeat in 1984

Screenshot_20230315-234842~2.png

It was effectively Selkirk Victoria playing as ringers. Relative of mine is the sub (unused btw)... or as I occasionally remind him: the man who wasn't good enough to get into the team that lost 20-0.

1 hour ago, House Bartender said:

Pretty well spot on with that. Bumper was by far the best entertainer but with limited options ahead (Joey (nah not you) and Drew) and much depended on the opposition. Scanlon a good workhorse and Weir, well, a real head down hard runner skilful mover with a vision of what  lay ahead. Is the day of the great winger gone forever? Last decent one to grace the home dressing room?

I hope I've picked you up wrongly. It sounds as if you're suggesting that Joe Harper and Drew Jarvie were limited options up front? 

2 hours ago, House Bartender said:

IIRC Weir scored one or two with his head as well