A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

13 minutes ago, ScottyDee1893 said:

I was surprised that this wasn't played at Dens tbh. I saw Dundee beat Saints 3-1 in a League Cup semi final at Tannadice in 1968.

I was also at that Tannadice game, it was 11 October 1967 and 3 days later we lost 1-4 to them in the league. A few weeks later was back at Tannadice watching United beat St Johnstone 5-1 in the Dewar Shield Final. 

Edited by Eednud

On 02/03/2023 at 23:20, Specky Ginger said:

United v St Johnstone at East End in 1991.

Fp4NXYBWIAEFg6n.jpg

The old East End was a cracking stadium. Remember going to one of the first Sunday cup ties there in the mid 70s - unfortunately Queens lost 1-0 that day with John Dempster somehow clearing the crossbar from the middle of the 6 yd box. Grand day out though.

On 03/03/2023 at 00:58, Bogbrush1903 said:

Is that John Watson with him?

IMG_20200418_150651_8458.thumb.jpg.2e504a73f85b27d4a79a4ff97cb35ec9.jpg

It is indeed...

EwWf7KDWQAEeytn?format=jpg&name=medium

Ironic to see a man synonymous with the Pars lining up against them in such a big game. 

Someone on here may be able to settle a recent query I had with some pals. Was he the first player to score for the same club in the Second, First and Premier Divisions?

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

The old East End was a cracking stadium. Remember going to one of the first Sunday cup ties there in the mid 70s - unfortunately Queens lost 1-0 that day with John Dempster somehow clearing the crossbar from the middle of the 6 yd box. Grand day out though.

Much as it pains me, I agree with you on it being a cracking ground. The atmosphere was immense under the shed on the north side, especially in the dark where you could hear, but barely see what was on the other side.

The noise cranked up when the teams used to emerge from separate doors, rather than a tunnel, in the main stand and had to trot down the steps on to the pitch.

We actually used to win an odd game or two through there when it was like that.

1 hour ago, Lurkst said:

It is indeed...

Someone on here may be able to settle a recent query I had with some pals. Was he the first player to score for the same club in the Second, First and Premier Divisions?

I would reckon that could well be true, unless someone did it for Clydebank when they had consecutive promotions in the mid 1970s.

I'm sure the Pars fans nicknamed him Winker and the Rovers fans called him something very similar.

1 hour ago, Lurkst said:

It is indeed...

Ironic to see a man synonymous with the Pars lining up against them in such a big game. 

Mike Lanarch I think, scored Clydebank's first goal in the Premier League in 1977/78 after consectutive promotions after reconstruction in 1975/76

He scored the Clydebank's equaliser on the opening day of the season at Love Street in front of nearly 9,000 spectators.

McCormick-Larnach.jpg.f597a2badef9030a192dbd8dad02d1b5.jpg

8 hours ago, The Mantis said:

There was Örjan Persson but he came from United. Also Thorolf Beck from St Mirren to Rangers. Neither played for Morton though.

Mr Nit Picker here, he was Icelandic was he not, does that count as Scandanavian?

Scandanavians and Icelanders must be fairly staunch (at least back then, anyway).

15 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Mr Nit Picker here, he was Icelandic was he not, does that count as Scandanavian?

Scandanavians and Icelanders must be fairly staunch (at least back then, anyway).

I believe the Scandinavians tend to be Lutheran rather than Presbyterian and therefore ones for the watching...

On 03/03/2023 at 00:58, Bogbrush1903 said:

1991 League Cup semi-final Dunfermline Vs Airdrie starring Davie Moyes was played at Tynecastle..

Is that John Watson with him?

I actually sent Moyes a hand written letter in the late 1980s saying I was a member of the Davie Moyes Appreciation Society as a joke, as I randomly picked up when he was playing at Pittodrie.

To give him his due, he replied with a long handwritten response, and from the day I received that letter I really did have an appreciation of Davie Moyes.

IMG_20200418_150651_8458.thumb.jpg.2e504a73f85b27d4a79a4ff97cb35ec9.jpg

There was a Davie Moyes Appreciation Society at Meadowbank Thistle games- The Moyes Boys.

It was for the original Davie Moyes (who also played for the Pars), a midfield psychopath

IMG_20220607_235009533_MP2.thumb.jpg.b8f30f5a46849a1350ce478965fcd8d2.jpg

41 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Mr Nit Picker 2.0 here: It’s spelt Scandinavian 👻. Aye ah thought that was mibbe so, but you’ll need to ask Tottie himself. Except he’s deid…

29 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

There was a Davie Moyes Appreciation Society at Meadowbank Thistle games- The Moyes Boys.

It was for the original Davie Moyes (who also played for the Pars), a midfield psychopath

I'm not sure that Mr Moyes is the best advertisement for Berwick Holiday Centre.

5 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Mr Nit Picker 2.0 here: It’s spelt Scandinavian 👻. Aye ah thought that was mibbe so, but you’ll need to ask Tottie himself. Except he’s deid…

:lol: I thought it didn't look right!

He died young, only 59.

On 02/03/2023 at 23:51, Ranaldo Bairn said:

My brother was at that. And still fumes at the refereeing injustices to this day. 

We were cheated. Denied a goal by a Utd player (big Dunc possibly?) saving the ball on the line with his hand.

Was a Scottish Cup final against Motherwell we missed out on too. 

21 hours ago, tamthebam said:

That picture just asked me what the f**k I'm looking at.