A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

7 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

We took our chance rather than chances with the aptly named 'Cup-tie' McKay scoring one of only four goals in his Aberdeen career, all scored in that seasons Scottish Cup from the quarter-final onwards...

21-02-1970 Falkirk 0-1 Aberdeen (McKay 66) 13,500

14-03-1970 Aberdeen 1-0 Kilmarnock (McKay 21) 25,812 at Muriton Park

11-04-1970 Aberdeen 3-1 Celtic (Harper 27 (pen), McKay 83, Lennox 89, McKay 90) 108,434

I didn't realise Tommy McLean was still at Killie in 1970 so that makes it sweeter

Was any of our more mature contributers at Muriton Park on 14-03-1970?

KILLIE.jpg.a39f31da01358328213fb3f496872e5e.jpg

I was tempted to say chance instead of chances but didn't want to be disrespectful 😀

Edited by paul wright scores
Typo

7 hours ago, Hawkeye the Gnu said:

I was just a wean but eventually managed to convince my dad to take me. He was right pissed at having to travel to Perth as we had all hoped the game would, and should, have been in Glasgow. 

I remember being gutted at losing, but the fighting was something to behold and some of the best I have witnessed over the years. I was scared shitless mind.

Also went to the final with a Celtic supporting friend and had a great day out. It was my first cup final experience and, foolishly believing I would be back soon with Killie. Unfortunately the horrendous decline had already begun, our league winning team was gradually breaking up and part time football beckoned.

It was the same at Fir Park in the Quarter Final. My dad took me home at half time because of it. 

5 hours ago, Hawkeye the Gnu said:

As far as I know Perth is still almost the same distance unless it’s moved  😊

How many Scottish cup semi finals have been played outwith Glasgow, before that and after? Not many.

How many in Perth ffs?

I seem to remember that the 82 semi final between Aberdeen and St Mirren was originally scheduled to be played at Muirton. I am not sure if there was an issue with the capacity or safety issues but it got moved to Celtic Park. 
The replay was at Dens though.

Tynecastle was also a favourite venue in the 80s for semifinals that didn’t involve a Glasgow team. 

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

Yeah, Kai Johansen ended up at Ibrox. He subsequently did that footballer-retirement-thing and took over a pub in Govan and called it "Kai Johansen's".

ETA...picture

Kai-Johansen-s-Bar-March-1977-Govan-Road-at-Stag-Street.png

A rather chic and bijou establishment tbf ...

6 hours ago, Steve McQueen said:

We played Dundee Utd at East End Park in 91 so maybe its just the west coast clubs that have expectations of Hampden.

League cup semi between Raith & Airdrie was at McDiarmid in 94

United v St Johnstone at East End in 1991.

Fp4NXYBWIAEFg6n.jpg

33 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Are you sure? The Uni seems much further away.

Trick of the camera? It is definitely Govan Road. 

29 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

United v St Johnstone at East End in 1991.

Fp4NXYBWIAEFg6n.jpg

My brother was at that. And still fumes at the refereeing injustices to this day. 

7 hours ago, Steve McQueen said:

We played Dundee Utd at East End Park in 91 so maybe its just the west coast clubs that have expectations of Hampden.

League cup semi between Raith & Airdrie was at McDiarmid in 94

1991 League Cup semi-final Dunfermline Vs Airdrie starring Davie Moyes was played at Tynecastle..

Is that John Watson with him?

I actually sent Moyes a hand written letter in the late 1980s saying I was a member of the Davie Moyes Appreciation Society as a joke, as I randomly picked up when he was playing at Pittodrie.

To give him his due, he replied with a long handwritten response, and from the day I received that letter I really did have an appreciation of Davie Moyes.

IMG_20200418_150651_8458.thumb.jpg.2e504a73f85b27d4a79a4ff97cb35ec9.jpg

Edited by Bogbrush1903

7 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

My brother was at that. And still fumes at the refereeing injustices to this day. 

I can't remember an awful lot about that game, other than the fact United must have won as they played Motherwell in the final.

If you want to talk about refereeing injustices, fast forward a few posts to the photo of Moyes and Watson re the 1991-92 league cup semi.

9 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

image.thumb.png.7fbead4b72ee3ea055e203dbfeb2e8c9.png

The same corner today.

Pretty scandalous, uncontrolled demolition there ... you'd have thought an architectural marvel such as Kai's pub would've been a listed building, surely?

OK 

Q: Name the two clubs involved in the first-ever £5,000 transfer fee.

A: West Ham United and Falkirk

Q: Name the buyers

A: Falkirk

Who was the player? 

See here

Edited by Piquet

That’s awfully like fishermen’s hooks above.

Clark scored from outside the box for United, Saints might have had a complaint that McKinnon was potentially standing offside but I dont want to spark another interfering with play debate. Ferguson's winner, the ball came to him from a Saints player, with another advancing off the goal line

In any case, Inglis was standing in the net at the St. J equaliser, the myopic Perth eye was utilised that day.

22 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

That’s awfully like fishermen’s hooks above.

Clark scored from outside the box for United, Saints might have had a complaint that McKinnon was potentially standing offside but I dont want to spark another interfering with play debate. Ferguson's winner, the ball came to him from a Saints player, with another advancing off the goal line

In any case, Inglis was standing in the net at the St. J equaliser, the myopic Perth eye was utilised that day.

The one that sticks in memory wasn't any of that. It was bowman using his arm (very obviously) to deflect the ball away from goal when it was on its way in. Should have been a penalty and a red. 

13 hours ago, Piquet said:

OK 

Who was the player? 

See here

Interesting read.

13 hours ago, Piquet said:

OK 

Who was the player? 

See here

Even then, Falkirk were spending big money on the team instead of getting their stadium up to standard...