A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

12 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Says something about the strength of Scottish football in general then that Celtic could reach a second European Cup final in three years, beating the Champions of England in the semis and Aberdeen, a pre Fergie Aberdeen could beat them that same week in the Scottish Cup final. 

Although before I was born I have heard more than a few tales of an absolutely horrendous refereeing performance that day, Celtic had a perfectly good goal chopped off, a stonewall penalty denied and one of Aberdeen's goals shouldn't have stood but hey, before my time just going on what I've read 😀

Amazed that a Celtic fan who wasn't even born at the time harbours a grudge about a match played 53 years ago.

And no, Celtic did not have a perfectly good goal chalked off, nor denied a stonewall penalty and all the Dons' goals were perfectly valid.

I saw it, not read about it.

15 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Says something about the strength of Scottish football in general then that Celtic could reach a second European Cup final in three years, beating the Champions of England in the semis and Aberdeen, a pre Fergie Aberdeen could beat them that same week in the Scottish Cup final. 

Although before I was born I have heard more than a few tales of an absolutely horrendous refereeing performance that day, Celtic had a perfectly good goal chopped off, a stonewall penalty denied and one of Aberdeen's goals shouldn't have stood but hey, before my time just going on what I've read 😀

Unlike you I was alive at to the time and attended the Celtic Aberdeen cup final which Aberdeen won fair and square. What you would have read was the usual paranoid 'always cheated never defeated' ravings of a minority of Celtic fans. Wonder what these peoples  excuse was when Feyenoord slaughtered them a few weeks later ?

2 hours ago, fasda2 said:

Not the first time they were cheated out of a win. Only two weeks before the final we gubbed them 2-1 down there with a brand new Arthur Graham playing a stormer and scoring. Gemmel, having failed to kick Bumper off the park, got a late consolation goal. 

And the brave hail hail Bhoys were cheated by those snidy wee Calvinist Aberdonians yet again at Parkhead in December of that year with the referee, who, so I've read somewhere, kept Catholics as slaves at the bottom of his garden, blatantly cheating to give Aberdeen a goal which wasn't and not giving the Celtic two goals which were. !

15 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

a) Celtic didn’t have a perfectly good goal chalked off, it was a foul on Bobby Clark.

b) there wasn’t a “stonewall” penalty denied

c) all three Aberdeen goals were perfectly valid

But it is Celtic, so of course they were cheated. By the way, don’t believe everything you read. I’ve read Grimms Fairy Tales but I’m old enough to realise that they aren’t true.

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

a) Celtic didn’t have a perfectly good goal chalked off, it was a foul on Bobby Clark.

b) there wasn’t a “stonewall” penalty denied

c) all three Aberdeen goals were perfectly valid

But it is Celtic, so of course they were cheated. By the way, don’t believe everything you read. I’ve read Grimms Fairy Tales but I’m old enough to realise that they aren’t true.

Another memory from that final. Glasgow bookies were giving something like 7-1 against the Dons and considering the team we had and the result two weeks prior it was a pile on, from our bus anyway. 

John Dixie Deans in NSL action for Adelaide City in 1977. Think this is an away game against Footscray JUST at Olympic Park in Melbourne, venue a few years later for the Australia v Scotland WC play-off. City won 4-3 with a hat trick from Dixie, a week earlier he scored. 4 in a home 10-3 win against a Mooroolbark without Joe Tront

John Deans                
30-Jul-1946 Forward Born in Scotland: 2 caps          
Season Club Country Tier Competition Start Sub App Goals
1965-66 Albion Rovers Scotland 2 Second Division     1 0
1965-66 Motherwell Scotland 1 First Division     2 0
1966-67 Motherwell Scotland 1 First Division     21 11
1967-68 Motherwell Scotland 1 First Division     28 11
1968-69 Motherwell Scotland 2 Second Division     33 30
1969-70 Motherwell Scotland 1 First Division     29 16
1970-71 Motherwell Scotland 1 First Division 31 0 31 9
1971-72 Motherwell Scotland 1 First Division 6 0 6 2
1971-72 Glasgow Celtic Scotland 1 First Division 21 0 21 19
1972-73 Glasgow Celtic Scotland 1 First Division 30 1 31 21
1973-74 Glasgow Celtic Scotland 1 First Division 24 2 26 24
1974-75 Glasgow Celtic Scotland 1 First Division 18 1 19 9
1975-76 Glasgow Celtic Scotland 1 First Division 29 0 29 15
1976-77 Luton Town England 2 Second Division 13 1 14 6
1976-77 Carlisle United England 2 Second Division 4 0 4 2
1976-77 Partick Thistle England 1 Premier Division 4 2 6 2
1977 Adelaide City Australia 1 National Soccer League 19 0 19 16
1978 Adelaide City Australia 1 National Soccer League 10 1 11 5
1979 Adelaide City Australia 1 National Soccer League 19 3 22 8
1980 Adelaide City Australia 1 National Soccer League 5 0 5 1
1980-81 Partick Thistle Scotland 1 Premier Division 0 0 0 0
          233 11 358 207

84D42887-0E02-4217-884B-3FD31D626302.jpeg

victoriapark2.jpg.9d021dd86ea88abddcdeffc806cfcea6.jpg

victoriapark3.jpg.3045ff7778c02aca5d5b1358939e92c8.jpg

victoriapark1.jpg.0d81827a51c40b500aaf49a2fc9817f5.jpg

Victoria Park, home of Newtongrange Star in 1994. Now a housing estate.

The stand was financed by the Midlothian Coal Company. They offered a similar stand to Rosewell Rosedale but the people of Rosewell opted for pithead baths instead. Victoria Park hosted stock car racing in the 1970s also. 

Willie Bauld, Dave McKay, Freddie Glidden and, er, Walter Kidd are among a number of famous Jambos who turned out on this park for Nitten. 

On 26/02/2023 at 11:46, Jacksgranda said:

Amazed that a Celtic fan who wasn't even born at the time harbours a grudge about a match played 53 years ago.

And no, Celtic did not have a perfectly good goal chalked off, nor denied a stonewall penalty and all the Dons' goals were perfectly valid.

I saw it, not read about it.

I love listening to the paranoia of these clowns.   

Wonder what I could complain about after you beat us in the semi final - not a lot, you took your chances, we didn't. 

4 minutes ago, paul wright scores said:

I love listening to the paranoia of these clowns.   

Wonder what I could complain about after you beat us in the semi final - not a lot, you took your chances, we didn't. 

And you've managed to win it since then, which I'm sure was wildly celebrated. How many times have Celtic won it since 1970? I haven't a clue, guessing at least 20.

I wonder who cheated them out of the 1971 Drybrough Cup and the 1976 League Cup?

Sad to read about Allan McGraw passing away. A Scottish footballing legend and a great servant to Greenock Morton.

1155673485.jpg.dfa7bf78a8023dffa2c40d95632fb4bf.jpg1646676.main_image.webp.dfa43776b47b20f35542088e0989105a.webpnintchdbpict0003176465791.thumb.webp.34e0b518fa904371398d0185669ee259.webp

Edited by jagfox

On 01/03/2023 at 10:24, jagfox said:

Sad to read about Allan McGraw passing away. A Scottish footballing legend and a great servant to Greenock Morton.

1155673485.jpg.dfa7bf78a8023dffa2c40d95632fb4bf.jpg

Aye, sad news indeed.

Great picture (in a non-digital age) - those lace-up footballs mind ... they were just about becoming history when I started school, horrible things.