A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

4 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

Agree with your first and third points but its the definition of inactive that can cause difficulties of interpretation. For example nowadays in the WBA v Leeds game Sugget would not be given offside but if he had ran on and received a pass from Astle and scored that would have been allowed. Its the whole first phase /second phase thing that I think can cause difficulties. He wasn't interfering initially but if he then scored he would undoubtedly be interfering

For me, that's ok.

Anyway, here's Tinkler's take:

"What people forget is that Leeds were already losing before that goal was scored, and they were playing badly. Now it's true that one of the West Bromwich players, Colin Suggett, had been standing in an offside position when Tony Brown intercepted a pass and raced clear of the Leeds defence. My linesman raised his flag straight away but I waved him down - the ball never went anywhere near Suggett. He saw my signal, but the problem was he didn't move. He should have lowered his flag and tried to keep up with play. Because he didn't move, several Leeds players wrongly assumed that play had stopped. I was known for always playing advantage, that was the way I refereed. This was no different. Of course now it wouldn't be an issue - everyone would know that Suggett wasn't interfering with play. Ken Ridden, who used to run the line for me and became the FA's representative on Uefa, always said I was a man before my time. Of course, the roof fell in. The Leeds players surrounded me, even the club secretary got involved later. I won't tell you the name of the person, but one of the Leeds players said to me: "You cost us a lot of money today." And I said: "If that's all you're playing for, good luck to you." Their attitude afterwards was that my decision cost them the title. I just said they shouldn't have lost so many points elsewhere. People remember the commentary of Barry Davies, who sided with Leeds. "Leeds will go mad and they've every right to go mad," were his words. I haven't forgotten it either. We each have our opinion. I remember the late Brian Clough was at the match, with Peter Taylor, and he agreed with me"

I'm distinctly Team Tinkler.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

On 20/02/2023 at 22:31, Ewanandmoreagain said:

I have a book written about Leeds Utd suffering at the hands of referees etc.

In addition to the 2 games above there was a UEFA cup final !

against an Italian or German team IIRC

It was the Cupwinners' Cup Final v Milan. The Ref was Christos Muchas, of whom Wikipedia says 

"His performance at the 1973 European Cup Winners' Cup Final was widely criticized, leading to an investigation.[3] UEFA banned Michas from refereeing for life following the investigation." 

Edited by Piquet

5 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

For me, that's ok.

Anyway, here's Tinkler's take:

"What people forget is that Leeds were already losing before that goal was scored, and they were playing badly. Now it's true that one of the West Bromwich players, Colin Suggett, had been standing in an offside position when Tony Brown intercepted a pass and raced clear of the Leeds defence. My linesman raised his flag straight away but I waved him down - the ball never went anywhere near Suggett. He saw my signal, but the problem was he didn't move. He should have lowered his flag and tried to keep up with play. Because he didn't move, several Leeds players wrongly assumed that play had stopped. I was known for always playing advantage, that was the way I refereed. This was no different. Of course now it wouldn't be an issue - everyone would know that Suggett wasn't interfering with play. Ken Ridden, who used to run the line for me and became the FA's representative on Uefa, always said I was a man before my time. Of course, the roof fell in. The Leeds players surrounded me, even the club secretary got involved later. I won't tell you the name of the person, but one of the Leeds players said to me: "You cost us a lot of money today." And I said: "If that's all you're playing for, good luck to you." Their attitude afterwards was that my decision cost them the title. I just said they shouldn't have lost so many points elsewhere. People remember the commentary of Barry Davies, who sided with Leeds. "Leeds will go mad and they've every right to go mad," were his words. I haven't forgotten it either. We each have our opinion. I remember the late Brian Clough was at the match, with Peter Taylor, and he agreed with me"

I'm distinctly Team Tinkler.

You wonder if Barry Davies has spent the rest of his years checking under the covers for a horses head before getting into bed.  A bit ominous the way Tinkler mentions him.

On 21/02/2023 at 20:47, Specky Ginger said:

81/82 League Cup Final with United 1-0 up at the time.

In the semi-final, with 20 minutes left of the 2nd leg at Ibrox, Rangers trailed 3-2 on aggregate to St Mirren, with Saints already having had a goal disallowed and not been given a penalty when Lex Richardson was pushed over after he'd rounded the keeper and was about to shoot into the empty net to make it 4-2.

I've never seen a linesman so apparently thrilled to have disallowed a goal, strutting around like a peacock swinging his flag theatrically like a fanny. 😀

The 1980-85 Rangers team were a honking mid table outfit, who never came anywhere near to winning the league. A bit weird, then, that such a team would reach eight cup finals during the same period. How did they ever do it?

Clip 1 -Disallowed goal, featuring swaggering linesman:

Clip 2 - Penalty incident that may well have been given at the other end. 😀

8 minutes ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

In the semi-final, with 20 minutes left of the 2nd leg at Ibrox, Rangers trailed 3-2 on aggregate to St Mirren, with Saints already having had a goal disallowed and not been given a penalty when Lex Richardson was pushed over after he'd rounded the keeper and was about to shoot into the empty net to make it 4-2.

I've never seen a linesman so apparently thrilled to have disallowed a goal, strutting around like a peacock swinging his flag theatrically like a fanny. 😀

The 1980-85 Rangers team were a honking mid table outfit, who never came anywhere near to winning the league. A bit weird, then, that such a team would reach eight cup finals during the same period. How did they ever do it?

These genuinely are among the worst decisions I've ever seen.

The first one especially, brings out my inner Barry Davies.

On 20/02/2023 at 16:13, Arch Stanton said:

From "The Roar of the Crowd" by David Ross. A brilliant read but last published about 15 years ago so could really do with an update. 

There seems to be some mad swings year to year for a lot of those teams.  I know crowds rise and fall based on teams performances all the time but for the jumps seem much larger at that time, any particular reasons?  

Edited by parsforlife

7 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

I wouldn't class that as interfering with play, sorry.

And how come the penalty scorer has no number on the back of his jersey? Had it been ripped off in an earlier incident?

1 minute ago, Jacksgranda said:

I wouldn't class that as interfering with play, sorry.

And how come the penalty scorer has no number on the back of his jersey? Had it been ripped off in an earlier incident?

The penalty scorer is Ian Scanlon. His number is 11. 
It was on his jersey but it doesn’t show well on the TV as it was in the two vertical black stripes.

2 minutes ago, Molotov said:

The penalty scorer is Ian Scanlon. His number is 11. 
It was on his jersey but it doesn’t show well on the TV as it was in the two vertical black stripes.

I thought it was Scanlon.

:lol:

8 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

Well I never. George Smith (Edinburgh) aiding and abetting the boys from Govan. He's the p***k that gave Sally a penalty for parking his fat arse in the Aberdeen box at Hampden in the '89 Skol Cup Final. 

Got deservedly booed on to the Pittodrie pitch the following week. An absolute arsehole.

48 minutes ago, jagfox said:

St Mirren 62 - the stripey shorts idea didn't last long. Was it some kind of recycling of old kit? 🤔

FB_IMG_1677139509467.thumb.jpg.af3e07b055368c8c1644ffdf7de91d5e.jpg

We have certainly had some horrific kits down the years. 

Just for more point and laugh effect we could have paired these shorts with this top. Throw in some weird stripey socks to complete the look.

Sold obviously from our Celtic branded shop. 

08FF2F17-E019-4967-BA9B-24618BEF7A67.thumb.jpeg.e0a06ec5e7beef91ae853d17ae73a893.jpeg

Certain well known fans have been known to parade in this outfit at cup finals. Minus the hair.

79FFC38D-3DBB-4C34-90E0-9856F8771245.thumb.jpeg.891746680a09ebfd5a14d93fb85eed51.jpeg

13 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

My understanding is that this was the correct decision under the rules of the time. The Saints player standing near the goals was definitely in an offside position.

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

My understanding is that this was the correct decision under the rules of the time. 

Aye, that's what @Dirty Sanchez was saying...it was correct decision under the rules of the time because Oldco were utter dross and the diktat handed down from head of Scottish referees was that officials should apply anything they could explain away to assist the Glaswegian side.