A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

On 18/02/2023 at 10:14, Dave Barton said:

As I remember it he was charged with setting fire to a sports shop he owned - a suspected insurance job - but was found not guilty.

Still, "there's no smoke... "

Led to a suggestion that Celtic might sign a player with the surname Shops so that their midfield would read Glavin, Burns, Shops.

Edited by Nowhereman

On 18/02/2023 at 15:18, Monkey Tennis said:

Amazing that it reached court.

I've no recollection of that.  He went to school with my big sister which, in fairness, is possibly not all that relevant.

Purdie was the Ayr United goalie at my first ever League Cup match in 1985 which is, to date, the only time I've watched Ayr United at Pittodrie.

I remember being a bit disappointed because I thought it was going to be Hugh Sproat who always caught the eye if he was in the sticker album...

images(20).jpeg.98d3727e0a62548203cfe95d927e3350.jpeg

On 19/02/2023 at 07:06, Mr. X said:

Not a photo as such, but interesting non the less.

The Old Firm not always dominating attendances.

On 19/02/2023 at 07:10, Monkey Tennis said:

In the early 50s, Celtic's average home attendance was less than double Queens'.

It's more like 40-50 times as big now.

On 19/02/2023 at 10:20, Mr. X said:

Sad time when following your local team became much less popular, and following a successful team that matches your particular branch of Christianity began. 

Note also the presence of 4 clubs within Linlithgowshire... Armadale, Bathgate, Bo'ness and Broxburn Utd... consistently averaging 7,000+ between them peaking at 9,269 in 1922-23 when they finished 5th-8th in Division Two.

During this period Armadale made Scottish Cup Qfs in 1919-20... Bo'ness in 1922-23, 1926-27, and 1930-31... plus Broxburn in 1924-25... beating likes of Ayr, Clyde, Falkirk, Hearts, Hibs, Raith and St Mirren along the way.

Broxburn failed to gain re-election in 1926 - a fate Bathgate and Armadale avoided in 1928 and Bo'ness (whose star shone brightest of all spending 1927-28 in top tier) in 1931. However in turn Bathgate resigned in early 1929 then both Armadale and Bo'ness were expelled in late 1932 for failing to pay gate guarantee. Thus ended any West Lothian representation in the Scottish League until Livingston bodysnatched Meadowbank Thistle over 60yrs later.

Edited by HibeeJibee

4 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

From "The Roar of the Crowd" by David Ross. A brilliant read but last published about 15 years ago so could really do with an update. 

It would be fascinating to know where the descendents of these fans watch football now.

Some clubs are much the same, but for others, did the kids go and support somebody the bigger teams or drift away from football as local team dropped.

I'd imagine, that for the likes of Kings Park, once the club never returned as it was after ww2, many fans went elsewhere as opposed to starting to support Stirling Albion.

When you look at the crowds from the 50's, it becomes and even bigger question. 

Keeping the theme of players giving the 'v' on the park................

1975ECFinal.thumb.jpg.510ddf8cef598fc5a7ac5b155cd68f9c.jpg

......Billy Bremner, one of 5 Scots playing for Leeds United in the 1975 European Cup Final in Paris. The others were David Stewart, Frank Gray, Peter Lorimer and Joe Jordan. Another Scot, Eddie Gray, came on as substitute in a match in which Leeds felt harshly teated by the French referee. 

I recall watching on TV, and thinking Franz Beckenbauer was getting away with an awful lot of influence over the officials.

41 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

......Billy Bremner, one of 5 Scots playing for Leeds United in the 1975 European Cup Final in Paris. The others were David Stewart, Frank Gray, Peter Lorimer and Joe Jordan. Another Scot, Eddie Gray, came on as substitute in a match in which Leeds felt harshly teated by the French referee. 

I recall watching on TV, and thinking Franz Beckenbauer was getting away with an awful lot of influence over the officials.

Franz was cheating

On 20/02/2023 at 18:53, Dundee Hibernian said:

There's an absolutely brilliant series available online and on YouTube called Leeds United the Wilderness Years.

It starts with that game in Paris and charts their subsequent decline. I won't give too much away, but there's one episode of absolute gold (possibly episode 8) where the referee is standing in the centre circle on a microphone telling fans to clear the pitch as he isn't going to abandon the game.

Edited by Specky Ginger

7 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

There's an absolutely brilliant series available online and on YouTube called Leeds United the Wilderness Years.

It starts with that game in Paris and charts their subsequent decline. I won't give too much away, but there's one episode of absolute gold (possibly episode 8) where the referee is standing in the centre circle on a microphone telling fans to clear the pitch as he isn't going to abandon the game.

Immediately, I'm thinking of the match against West Brom at Elland Road: another harsh decision which went against Leeds. But that was back in 1971.

EDIT: looked that match up, it wasn't a pile of kids who came on, but mostly elderly spectators. Ray Tinkler was the referee. This is a Scottish football history section though, so I won't post the link to Jeff Astle's goal which caused the fury, but if interested, look it up, one of the worst decisions of the time, given the offside rules.

Edited by Dundee Hibernian
additional information

Jock Stein and Bill Shankly meet at Glasgow Airport in 1966 - perhaps before the ECWC semi final 1st leg.

FB_IMG_1676928532599.jpg.4ea55218c0643da2b3230633b2c24bee.jpg

“John, you’re immortal now”

"Not yet Bill, that’s a quote for next year."

FB_IMG_1676928542859.thumb.jpg.2a5aaad29dd0921272f1698b9744460d.jpg

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

This is a Scottish football history section though, so I won't post the link to Jeff Astle's goal which caused the fury, but if interested, look it up, one of the worst decisions of the time, given the offside rules.

It was a good decision.

Didn't the rule then refer to interfering with play?

The fact that it was fashionable then to flag people loitering harmlessly in offside positions - something Leeds were victims of - doesn't make the Jeff Astle decision wrong.  It was the likes of the one against Bayern Munich that was wrong.  

On 18/02/2023 at 10:07, jagfox said:

FB_IMG_1676714738477.thumb.jpg.938e9b69805909ca3a610d4850bc7d42.jpg

Thistle fans pre-dating "woke culture" by a few decades.. 

Thistle fans were sensitive around that time.

Some of your luvvies pressed charges against Don McVicar just because he made a ‘pumping arm’ gesture to celebrate a goal for Saints.

I can’t find the story but think it was the first time Thistle came to McDiarmid in the old first division so Oct-Nov 1989. There was a quote in the paper that the judge asked the thespian if he was just doing it cos his team lost, to which he replied  “oh no your honour, for if I pressed charges every time The Harry Wraggs lost, I’d surely never be out of the court”.

Oh the banter.

Funnily enough McVicar went on to play for Thistle not long after and was quite popular there as I recall. Sadly died at only 43 of MND.

Anyway here’s the game I think it was from.. I like to think McVicar is getting it right up the thistle support off camera after his cross for the first goal.

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Immediately, I'm thinking of the match against West Brom at Elland Road: another harsh decision which went against Leeds. But that was back in 1971.

EDIT: looked that match up, it wasn't a pile of kids who came on, but mostly elderly spectators. Ray Tinkler was the referee. This is a Scottish football history section though, so I won't post the link to Jeff Astle's goal which caused the fury, but if interested, look it up, one of the worst decisions of the time, given the offside rules.

I have a book written about Leeds Utd suffering at the hands of referees etc.

In addition to the 2 games above there was a UEFA cup final !

against an Italian or German team IIRC

Edited by Ewanandmoreagain

7 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It was a good decision.

Didn't the rule then refer to interfering with play?

The fact that it was fashionable then to flag people loitering harmlessly in offside positions - something Leeds were victims of - doesn't make the Jeff Astle decision wrong.  It was the likes of the one against Bayern Munich that was wrong.  

In 1971, it was certainly a wrong decision. 

2 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

In 1971, it was certainly a wrong decision. 

Not necessarily - the 'old' offside rules didn't preclude using the 'not interfering with play' rule although it was often ignored.  The issue was more that the linesman's flag was raised which stopped the Leeds player in their tracks (and even the WBA player) but the ref overruled it and let play go on.  

A sore one if it was your team I'll agree.