A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

7 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Garry Kenneth got capped.

Twice.

Mind boggles.

Tbf was that not entirely because he came at United under Levein? Thats what i always assumed.

Much like how Brophy got a Scotland cap as he played well for Clarke at club level.

John Clark heading the ball I think, with Stevie Kirk lurking, and is that maybe Coco MacDonald on the far right?

EDIT: It is Joe McLaughlin on the RHS, and Mark McGraw (good old quickdraw) partially obscured by the goal net.

Edited by Ranaldo Bairn

Difficult to illustrate but titbit of another era: 70yrs ago Rangers 4-0 St Mirren started 5min early, at 2:10pm, and HT cut to 5min but as 2nd half wore on darkness and rain still made visibility increasingly poor especially for fans. Rangers put on their lights... but ref immediately suspended play: their use competitively was forbidden!

image.thumb.png.03657ada022cf29424fed28be93e87b7.png
image.thumb.png.82a79e8ff684610188038aa3ece56ad5.png

image.png.0100bcaa1b54ef92548fb1e851459007.png

image.thumb.png.de79bb6e6a801a9192a6699bd28954cd.png     

Something in the back of my mind says that there was some DEVIL'S ILLUMINATION rule that lights had to be on from the start of games.

This was usually ignored in the East of Scotland League at those few clubs who had lights- "the ref's wanting the lights on at half time, it's a bit dark".

Incidentally you would have thought putting on the mighty erections at Meadowbank Stadium would have involved throwing switches like in Frankenstein's lab but there were really just four switches that looked like house light switches. The secret was you had to do it in a set order- 1 and 3, then 2 and 4.

6 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Difficult to illustrate but titbit of another era: 70yrs ago Rangers 4-0 St Mirren started 5min early, at 2:10pm, and HT cut to 5min but as 2nd half wore on darkness and rain still made visibility increasingly poor especially for fans. Rangers put on their lights... but ref immediately suspended play: their use competitively was forbidden!

image.png.0100bcaa1b54ef92548fb1e851459007.png

image.thumb.png.de79bb6e6a801a9192a6699bd28954cd.png     

East Fife top of the league after 15 games!

Well it was 120 years ago today that Hibs (with 2 games to spare) won their first-ever Scottish League title: and for the only time held it alongside the Scottish Cup. Here those iconic images:

1902-Scottish-Cup.jpg

Incidentally those trophies are left-right:     Glasgow Charity Cup     Scottish Cup     Edinburgh & East of Scotland League     Rosebery (Edinburgh) Charity Cup

(E&EOSL trophy aka 'McRae Cup')

96676853a657612f92967b1bbb622fb1.jpg

Trophies again left-to-right:     Edinburgh & East of Scotland League     East of Scotland Shield     Rosebery (Edinburgh) Charity Cup

8 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Well it was 120 years ago today that Hibs (with 2 games to spare) won their first-ever Scottish League title: and for the only time held it alongside the Scottish Cup. Here those iconic images:

1902-Scottish-Cup.jpg

Incidentally those trophies are left-right:     Glasgow Charity Cup     Scottish Cup     Edinburgh & East of Scotland League     Rosebery (Edinburgh) Charity Cup

(E&EOSL trophy aka 'McRae Cup')

96676853a657612f92967b1bbb622fb1.jpg

Trophies again left-to-right:     Edinburgh & East of Scotland League     East of Scotland Shield     Rosebery (Edinburgh) Charity Cup

The player in the second picture sitting beside the Edinburgh & East league trophy is Barney Breslin.

555716812_BernardBreslinHibernian1903.jpg.c83437e245b48ef7402ed3e47a90cb55.jpg

When Hibs won the Scottish Cup in 1902, it was achieved at Celtic Park with the losing side hosting their own final. (Celtic 0 Hibernian 1).

The Final had been due to be played at neutral Ibrox, but was relocated due to the first Ibrox disaster, which brought 25 fatalities, that had occured a week previously.

I'm unsure, perhaps @HibeeJibee knows for certain, but think this was the last Scottish Cup Final to be played at a participants home venue. A couple of previous Finals I know of were played at Hampden (one a replay) where Queen's Park won the trophy.

16 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Division A and B - what was the reason for that naming convention?

Only ever seen it as Div 1 Div 2 etc...unless its conferences and those dont look like conferences 

44 minutes ago, Dylangt7 said:

Only ever seen it as Div 1 Div 2 etc...unless its conferences and those dont look like conferences 

After the war the Scottish League was reorganised, and reduced in size from the prewar divisions, leading to a number of clubs being excluded. These clubs were accommodated in a third division along with some reserve sides of bigger clubs.

However, memories of the didastrous third division of the late 1920s still lingered, so the division were named A, B & C,  rather than 1, 2 & 3, and no, they are not "conferences".

3 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I'm unsure, perhaps @HibeeJibee knows for certain, but think this was the last Scottish Cup Final to be played at a participants home venue. A couple of previous Finals I know of were played at Hampden (one a replay) where Queen's Park won the trophy.

Correct and this was only final since 1870s not at a neutral venue.

QP hosted first-ever 2 finals and won.

1 hour ago, Dylangt7 said:

Only ever seen it as Div 1 Div 2 etc...

56 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

After the war the Scottish League was reorganised, and reduced in size from the prewar divisions, leading to a number of clubs being excluded. These clubs were accommodated in a third division along with some reserve sides of bigger clubs.

However, memories of the didastrous third division of the late 1920s still lingered, so the division were named A, B & C,  rather than 1, 2 & 3

For completeness: C Division was abolished for 1955-56... names returned to Divisions One & Two for 1956-57.

Edited by HibeeJibee

On 19/12/2022 at 00:25, HibeeJibee said:

Think that's right: until that game #10 was Ronaldinho's.

He also captained Barcelona for the first-ever time at Tannadice. 

He was absolutely ridiculous against us. Scored a hat trick in the second half, just as well he didn't come on until HT.

I know many people have enjoyed seeing us get horsed over the years, but I'll happily admit I enjoyed seeing it that day

5 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Correct and this was only final since 1870s not at a neutral venue.

QP hosted first-ever 2 finals and won.

Some sites have the the third final (replay) beingwon by Queen's Park at Hampden, following a first match at Hamilton Crescent, but I think that is incorrect.

Edited by Dundee Hibernian