A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

1 hour ago, Flybhoy said:

Dundee United v Hearts from 1968, older posters able to name the players?

FB_IMG_1670360286223.jpg

Plenty older than me on here I hope! Anyway, this picture was probably from 1969, not '68: United didn't change to tangerine until the start of 69-70 season.

The United player is Doug Smith, a fantastic centre half who went through his career of over 600 games never being booked. He later owned a pub in the city (The Athletic, I think), and was a club director for almost 20 years. Ernie Winchester may be the Hearts striker. Both these players were from Aberdeen, born several years apart, and both died within months of each other around 10 years ago.

10 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Dundee United v Hearts from 1968, older posters able to name the players?

FB_IMG_1670360286223.jpg

Doug Smith, Dundee United.

Ernie Winchester striking the ball?

No idea who the other 2 Hearts' players are.

14 hours ago, Mr. X said:

Rene Moller at left of pic.

I looked up the match: Rene Moller didn't play that night, if it was the one where Winchester scored a double for Hearts.

The away side was listed as 

Jim Cruickshank .1
Ian Sneddon .2
Alan Anderson .3
Eddie Thomson .4
Willie McAlpine .5
George Fleming .6
Arthur Townsend .7
David Clunie .8
Ernie Winchester .9
Donald Ford .10
Neil Murray .11

on Arab Archive.

https://www.arabarchive.co.uk/matchdetails.php?id=3066

3 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I looked up the match: Rene Moller didn't play that night, if it was the one where Winchester scored a double for Hearts.

The away side was listed as 

Jim Cruickshank .1
Ian Sneddon .2
Alan Anderson .3
Eddie Thomson .4
Willie McAlpine .5
George Fleming .6
Arthur Townsend .7
David Clunie .8
Ernie Winchester .9
Donald Ford .10
Neil Murray .11

on Arab Archive.

https://www.arabarchive.co.uk/matchdetails.php?id=3066

With respect, I think number 7 was Jim Townsend as opposed to Arthur in the archive.

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

With respect, I think number 7 was Jim Townsend as opposed to Arthur in the archive.

Do you think that's Jim Townsend in the central background? I should have recognised the first name was wrong on the site, used to have a chewing gum card of Jim Townsend when he was with St Johnstone. Arthur as a first name had me stumped.

The only player from that time I recall as an Arthur was Arthur Duncan at Thistle then Hibs.

ADuncan.thumb.jpg.7f47a3131788a2cee3b400fb5c6b12f9.jpg

Don't know why this picture was used in a 'Football League Review'.

Might the other Hearts player be Neil Murray, who never played that often for the club? Came from a Highlands club, later played for Morton.

46 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

The only player from that time I recall as an Arthur was Arthur Duncan at Thistle then Hibs.

Another from that era was Arthur Hamill who played for East Stirling.

A terrific player, his testimonial was in 1971.

51 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Do you think that's Jim Townsend in the central background? I should have recognised the first name was wrong on the site, used to have a chewing gum card of Jim Townsend when he was with St Johnstone. Arthur as a first name had me stumped.

ADuncan.thumb.jpg.7f47a3131788a2cee3b400fb5c6b12f9.jpg

Don't know why this picture was used in a 'Football League Review'.

Might the other Hearts player be Neil Murray, who never played that often for the club? Came from a Highlands club, later played for Morton.

Looks like it was a Jags bespoke edition. "Presented by Courtesy of the Club" suggests it didn't come direct from the League.

53 minutes ago, Oscar P said:

Another from that era was Arthur Hamill who played for East Stirling.

A terrific player, his testimonial was in 1971.

So he did! Went on to The Mariners to finish his career. Would I be correct in saying he used to take great delight when at the 'Shire in winding up Falkirk fans?

1387824179_AHamillvOldham.thumb.jpg.0b29cb3c9faf2bbb27d4ee58183cc702.jpg

Edited by Dundee Hibernian
adding photo.

Seems to be genuine cover.

Caption inside:

E2LdXk_XMAAnUiE?format=jpg&name=large

I think I read somewhere the Football League Review - which was available on its own (see price 1s) but also commonly got issued as a complimentary insert in club programmes (see "presented by courtesy of the club") - was for a while available in Scotland.

It certainly carried stories beyond strict limits of FL divisions, League Cup and representative XI.

Edited by HibeeJibee

4 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

That appears to be genuine cover.

Caption inside:

E2LdXk_XMAAnUiE?format=jpg&name=large

I think I read somewhere the Football League Review - which was available on its own (see price 1s) but also commonly got issued as a complimentary insert in club programmes (see "presented by courtesy of the club") - was for a while available in Scotland.

It certainly covered stories beyond strict limits of FL divisions and League Cup.

Aberdeen and, I think, Morton, had it as an "insert" in their programmes, 1968/69, I think. It only lasted one season.