A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

41 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Hasn't been to Gayfield. 

Ok, you have been. Been to both a few times and Gayfield the coldest by some way.

Saw Stirling Albion a few times at Gayfield in the 1990's, one of the games was a complete lottery with a force ten gale blowing in off the North Sea, seemingly this is a pretty common occurrence up there. 

4 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Did you know he was Jinky Johnstone’s nephew ?

I did, I remember him scoring a late winner at Celtic Park in 1987, the penultimate game of the season which kept Falkirk in the Premier League, although I think they went down the season after, aided somewhat by a howler from Pat Bonner, not for the first or last time he cost Celtic big time. 

He also had a spell at Stirling Albion, he was part of the team that reached the quarter finals of the Scottish Cup in 1990, great wee player.

2 hours ago, The Mantis said:

That’s the one. In fact if there’s anybody out there that has the date of this I’d be grateful.

Tuesday 17th January, 1995, Clyde 2 Stirling Albion 0, crowd 1345, League Two fixture.

https://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/199501181.html

Edit: couldn't find anywhere that the fixture had been abandoned earlier, but given it was played on a Tuesday, that may have been the case.

Edited by Dundee Hibernian

12 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Tuesday 17th January, 1995, Clyde 2 Stirling Albion 0, crowd 1345, League Two fixture.

Edit: couldn't find anywhere that the fixture had been abandoned earlier, but given it was played on a Tuesday, that may have been the case.

That was actually a great help, as I had only skimmed through my diary looking at Saturdays. The original game was Monday 2nd. Albion were leading 1-0. I forgot about London Hearts, it's a great resource.

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Was played midweek a couple of weeks later, Clyde won 2-0 in the midst of a hurricane, I was at both games, the abandoned one was, I think on New Year's day. 

50 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Was played midweek a couple of weeks later, Clyde won 2-0 in the midst of a hurricane, I was at both games, the abandoned one was, I think on New Year's day. 

I wonder if you were at a farcical New Year's Game played on the plastic at Annfield between Stirling and Meadowbank in the midst of a howling gale?

Finished 0-0 unsurprisingly enough!

51 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I wonder if you were at a farcical New Year's Game played on the plastic at Annfield between Stirling and Meadowbank in the midst of a howling gale?

Finished 0-0 unsurprisingly enough!

Yep, 1992.

I think the Albion missed a penalty if I recall correctly. 

On 01/11/2018 at 22:20, Eednud said:

Caption lists this as Scotland 1978 Squad but their all too good looking.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/10/6246dacbeeedad250272ed82968ee4fb.jpg

Was searching for something else on the thread and this appeared, so I had to give it a thorough inspection. 

That's actually Pan's People the dancers from Top of the Pops. And the t-shirts have the West Germany 74 logo on them, so presumably they were getting behind us in England's absence...

Edited by Lurkst

18 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Caley Stadium under construction in 1996 and again in 1999

1473838629_Image(25).thumb.jpg.a5ebad836c4f78f6233d9b844a0debde.jpg

610799283_Image(27).thumb.jpg.a85780fac3fef95c41987e100464350b.jpg

Such a badly designed main stand.

the roof is way too high (to allow for a small number of boxes), does not cover the end section of seats and the stand faces the sun in the winter making viewing of the game awkward when the sun is low in the sky 

2 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

the roof is way too high (to allow for a small number of boxes), does not cover the end section of seats and the stand faces the sun in the winter making viewing of the game awkward when the sun is low in the sky 

It's a fucking shocker. Used to take my nephew through sometimes when he was visiting from Hingerlund and it was embarrassing how shit it was/is. Not that he cared of course, just excited to be at a game.

Compared with the compact and bijou RC ground over the bridge it's grim. I sometimes look around the Continent at smaller countries newer stadiums holding 4 to 6 thousand, and above, and the excellent and inclusive way that the stands are built with excellent views and facilities for the public, and wonder why these simple but very important things haven't filtered through to stadium designers/builders here? 

I've been in the home (and away) ends at Tulloch too when up visiting and it's as shit a view as the Mainer. I had the same gripe on the Queen's Park thread about the objectionably bland looking thing going up at snails pace at Lesser...and the one Embra Council have just dropped on Meadowbank.

9 minutes ago, Jimmain said:

It's a fucking shocker. Used to take my nephew through sometimes when he was visiting from Hingerlund and it was embarrassing how shit it was/is. Not that he cared of course, just excited to be at a game.

Compared with the compact and bijou RC ground over the bridge it's grim. I sometimes look around the Continent at smaller countries newer stadiums holding 4 to 6 thousand, and above, and the excellent and inclusive way that the stands are built with excellent views and facilities for the public, and wonder why these simple but very important things haven't filtered through to stadium designers/builders here? 

I've been in the home (and away) ends at Tulloch too when up visiting and it's as shit a view as the Mainer. I had the same gripe on the Queen's Park thread about the objectionably bland looking thing going up at snails pace at Lesser...and the one Embra Council have just dropped on Meadowbank.

There were a few flat pack, off the peg designs that got shunted on to clubs by others who had vested interest. 

Speed was always a concern...no bother we know a man who'll lend you the money/sell you the steel/design and build it.

BTW, we know an accountant that will handle your Administration.

1 hour ago, realmadrid said:

In other news: Hitler invades Poland 😂

Seriously though, you're only saying what ICT fans have been saying for 25 years: the vanity of some of the Inverness bigwigs to build The Finest Stadium In The North. Roughly £4.8M was cobbled together from various sources and this wouldn't cover some of the overambitious plans.

So the plans were scaled down but it was expected that the stadium could expand as demand rose (ha ha). That's why the ends are uncovered (they said at the time the stand was a modular construction so no bother), that's why the pitch is large enough to take Internationals, etc etc. I'm sure I heard that the main stand faces the weather so that traffic on the A9 could see the adverts...

Mind you, we've had some terrific occasions over the years with 7500 in the ground and even >3000 when we were in Div 3, but the matchday experience nowadays is grim and likely to remain so.

1 hour ago, Jimmain said:

Last time I was at Cove's new place the wind was blowing rain straight into the back of the two sheds on the terrace there. I think I got better shelter as the photographer by crouching down behind an advertising hoarding out of the wind than the fans did in the covered sheds. 

It's almost as if we've forgotten how to build football stadia. Bring back Archibald Leitch.