A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

8 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Alan Thompson jumps for joy after scoring with a diving header to open the scoring in Stuttgart in Celtic's run to the 2003 UEFA Cup final, Stan Petrov looks on.

We won the first leg 3-1 in Glasgow then quickly went 2-0 up over there on the night, Stuttgart came back into things quickly though and ended up winning the match 3-2, resulting in Celtic setting up a trip to Anfield after a 5-4 aggregate win, second half was a bit nervy as two more goals for the German side would have seen them overturn a tie they were 5-1 down in after 20 minutes of the second leg. 

IMG_20221002_123951.jpg

Sitting on the bench- when did Boris Johnson play for Stuttgart?

On 30/08/2022 at 07:59, Eednud said:

Given modern international criteria it seems odd that Scotland couldn’t pick Joe Baker because he was born in England. Only player to have been capped for England without ever playing professionally in the English leagues.

HIBERNIAN JOE BAKER STORY HORNET COMIC 29th JULY 1972 HIBS ARSENAL SUNDERLAND

As farcical as international eligibility rules have become, it's a travesty that this was never Scotland's forward line :(

joe-baker-and-dennis-law.jpg?fit=698,538

Simpson Jock Image 1 Falkirk 1909 - Vintage Footballers

This is John "Jocky" Simpson of Falkirk.

He holds a realistic claim to being our best ever player, and his story is similar to the ones mentioned above.

He was a tremendous right winger for FFC, in a time when we were a genuine powerhouse, finishing 2nd in the league on two occasions, and winning the Scottish Cup in 1913. He played for Blackburn Rovers as well, winning the English league twice, and earned 8 international caps.

The problem was, they were caps for England! His parents were Scottish, but worked briefly in Lancashire where young John came into the world. Within months they were back home but this accident of birth meant he was sadly ineligible for Scotland.

England only picked him, incidentally, after he moved to Blackburn.

Edited by Ranaldo Bairn

10 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

This is John "Jocky" Simpson of Falkirk.

Just looked him up on wiki and found out that Bobby Simpson, Australian test cricketer, captain and then coach was related to him.

Glass, John – The Celtic Wiki

John Glass Celtic Director

So what's the story with this man?

One neutral source states 'In August 1888, without the knowledge of Brother Walfrid or the club committee, Glass signed eight of Hibs' best players, having offered them (illegal) cash inducements. The consequences for Hibs were catastrophic and within three years the Edinburgh club had collapsed.'.

While Celtic Wiki states 'He was the man, more than any other, who dragged Celtic and Scottish football into the professional world. and he was also the man who needed to do little persuading of various Hibs players in order to assist them to come to Celtic due to the situation that Hibs were leaving themselves in. For this, many Hibs fans have a wrong impression that he was a main instigator of the downfall of the original Hibs club in Edinburgh, but much of that is mistaken.

It sounds to me as  though he was a hard nosed businessman who didn't give a shit about Brother Walfrid's high motives for the club,  and Celtic fans are re-writing history to paint him in a better light. I could be completely wrong. 

3 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Alan Thompson jumps for joy after scoring with a diving header to open the scoring in Stuttgart in Celtic's run to the 2003 UEFA Cup final, Stan Petrov looks on.

We won the first leg 3-1 in Glasgow then quickly went 2-0 up over there on the night, Stuttgart came back into things quickly though and ended up winning the match 3-2, resulting in Celtic setting up a trip to Anfield after a 5-4 aggregate win, second half was a bit nervy as two more goals for the German side would have seen them overturn a tie they were 5-1 down in after 20 minutes of the second leg. 

IMG_20221002_123951.jpg

I had £100 on Stuttgart to win that second leg. You can imagine my excitement when Cetic went 2-0 up.

29 minutes ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

I had £100 on Stuttgart to win that second leg. You can imagine my excitement when Cetic went 2-0 up.

Two up after ten minutes, Agathe was on fire and tearing them to shreds, set up both goals, then they got a goal back and we got really nervous and panicky, from memory there was still about 25 minutes to go when they went 3-2 up and, as I mentioned before another two goals would have put us out, we had a few near misses those closing stages as well. 

23 hours ago, Mr. X said:

Glass, John – The Celtic Wiki

John Glass Celtic Director

So what's the story with this man?

One neutral source states 'In August 1888, without the knowledge of Brother Walfrid or the club committee, Glass signed eight of Hibs' best players, having offered them (illegal) cash inducements. The consequences for Hibs were catastrophic and within three years the Edinburgh club had collapsed.'.

While Celtic Wiki states 'He was the man, more than any other, who dragged Celtic and Scottish football into the professional world. and he was also the man who needed to do little persuading of various Hibs players in order to assist them to come to Celtic due to the situation that Hibs were leaving themselves in. For this, many Hibs fans have a wrong impression that he was a main instigator of the downfall of the original Hibs club in Edinburgh, but much of that is mistaken.

It sounds to me as  though he was a hard nosed businessman who didn't give a shit about Brother Walfrid's high motives for the club,  and Celtic fans are re-writing history to paint him in a better light. I could be completely wrong. 

Also kung-fu kicked a fan at Crystal Palace while playing for Man Utd....

Dumbarton FC celebrates it's 150th Anniversary on December 23rd and as one of the activities to record this milestone a public Exhibition of the club's history and achievements (are you sure ? - Ed) will run from Thursday of this week through to December 17th - the location and opening times are shown on the attached file, noting that Dumbarton Public Library is literally three minutes walk from Dumbarton Centtral Station.

Any queries, please send me a DM on here.  We look forward to welcoming visitors from a' the airts. 

Exhibition Poster.jpg

6 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Dumbarton FC celebrates it's 150th Anniversary on December 23rd and as one of the activities to record this milestone a public Exhibition of the club's history and achievements (are you sure ? - Ed) will run from Thursday of this week through to December 17th - the location and opening times are shown on the attached file, noting that Dumbarton Public Library is literally three minutes walk from Dumbarton Centtral Station.

Any queries, please send me a DM on here.  We look forward to welcoming visitors from a' the airts. 

Exhibition Poster.jpg

These exhibitions are always interesting to me- the 100 years of Cliftonhill that was on a few years ago at Summerlee was good

Albion Rovers autographs including John "Jock" Steins:

IMG_20190921_131226844.thumb.jpg.8c51d945c2f44eb2995a803c7dc9958b.jpg

10 hours ago, tamthebam said:

These exhibitions are always interesting to me- the 100 years of Cliftonhill that was on a few years ago at Summerlee was good

Albion Rovers autographs including John "Jock" Steins:

IMG_20190921_131226844.thumb.jpg.8c51d945c2f44eb2995a803c7dc9958b.jpg

I'm sure you would enjoy this one too Tam.  Admittedly our halcyon days were in the late Victorian era, but the contribution of this area to Scottish football and beyond through ourselves, Vale of Leven and Renton is well worth sharing.

1 hour ago, Eednud said:

Does anyone have any idea where this is and the teams? It’s from a link about The Peoples’ Game. An exhibition looking back at the County of Angus’ rich football heritage and connection to the beautiful game. https://visitangus.com/event/the-peoples-game/

image.jpeg.afef6619ef03a103871b1b033f711a63.jpeg

My first thought was Links Park, but the buildings in the background aren't in the correct positions.

8 hours ago, Eednud said:

Does anyone have any idea where this is and the teams? It’s from a link about The Peoples’ Game. An exhibition looking back at the County of Angus’ rich football heritage and connection to the beautiful game. https://visitangus.com/event/the-peoples-game/

image.jpeg.afef6619ef03a103871b1b033f711a63.jpeg

Links Park & Union Malting Mills, Montrose

Photograph has presumably been accidentally reversed - should look like:

image.png.fd4f8a01acc6c10410f2b895cb2cb264.png

SPW040583.jpg

SACP-07-10-21-Union-Mill-SCO-2.jpg-2-102

1880s:

image.png.b6f9b66fa6ea43ea4937deef363667b2.png

image.png.ab6b5334971cc74e59bd2e153f63ad79.png

image.png.774633e8d95e81dff0a164169ef3c0f9.png

1890s:

image.png.6fff10486f95c22214472eb9d9c368da.png

Edited by HibeeJibee

3 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Links Park & Union Malting Mills, Montrose

Photograph has presumably been accidentally reversed - should look like:

image.png.fd4f8a01acc6c10410f2b895cb2cb264.png

I should have considered the picture having been transposed: it jumped out that the team with white sleeves were Montrose, they wore that type of jersey in the early 70s, and the vibe from the photo was Links Park. The maltings were demolished in the late 1970s, but I recall them looming over Links Park.

Wondered if the opposition were Dunfermline, although they normally didn't have white shorts in that era.

Thanks, @HibeeJibee!