A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

10 hours ago, Eednud said:

Maybe posted before but October 13 1962 Dundee United 1 St Mirren 1 Att 8,680. Courtesy of the United Centenary book.

5C89BCC1-1AB8-4C6A-8DAA-70B6CA86E95C.jpeg

Great pic - the keeper and outfield players look to be dealing with the ball coming from opposite directions.

On 08/08/2022 at 08:32, Jacksgranda said:

Even in 1986 they couldn't believe they hadn't won it since 1910.

Dundee lost the final 2-1 in controversial fashion to Celtic in 1925. The story I heard was that during a goalmouth scramble a Celtic forward (I think Patsy Gallagher) wedged the ball between his feet and lifted it over the goal line. The ref gave the goal instead of an indirect free kick. No surprises there then.

5 minutes ago, ScottyDee1893 said:

Dundee lost the final 2-1 in controversial fashion to Celtic in 1925. The story I heard was that during a goalmouth scramble a Celtic forward (I think Patsy Gallagher) wedged the ball between his feet and lifted it over the goal line. The ref gave the goal instead of an indirect free kick. No surprises there then.

7CEDAF90-3EAF-4DC7-976B-933E2FE0B1E9.jpeg

As another Dundee great has sadly passed I was certain there was a picture of Pat Liney’s penalty save against St Mirren in the penultimate game of then title winning 61/62 season. Nearest I could find was a small one of him being mobbed after then game plus one of Andy Penman making it 2-0. From ‘Up Wi’ The Bonnets’.

C2696EEF-0B75-4AAC-A4E3-92585E2EAB1E.jpeg

Edited by Eednud

Scottish Cup Final 1986 Including an amusing little piece about Henry Smith & Jimmy Greaves.

A bit petty to refer to Greaves as merely a “TV Personality”, considering how good a player he was.

E49F56FE-2E53-41E6-BB76-C070343E00D0.thumb.jpeg.e918cc5a0c309960537dd90906d9650b.jpegA8D6DF2D-FBAC-4B9B-AB51-B3C1205E17FB.thumb.jpeg.09165fb4b4065677af84913dcac0a621.jpeg

Edited by Luddite

Being before the era of sub goalies, Murray McDermott would have been denied a runner's up medal, but he made his European debut for Hearts at a ripe old age.

Rovers goalkeeper when I started going to games and have great memories of him flying through the air in his green Bukta shirt, tipping shots over the bar or round the post.

Taken far too soon at the age of 53.

1 hour ago, Luddite said:

Scottish Cup Final 1986 Including an amusing little piece about Henry Smith & Jimmy Greaves.

A bit petty to refer to Greaves as merely a “TV Personality”, considering how good a player he was.

E49F56FE-2E53-41E6-BB76-C070343E00D0.thumb.jpeg.e918cc5a0c309960537dd90906d9650b.jpegA8D6DF2D-FBAC-4B9B-AB51-B3C1205E17FB.thumb.jpeg.09165fb4b4065677af84913dcac0a621.jpeg

Regarding Jimmy Greaves, they did more than send a copy of the birth certificate. There was a clip of Henry Smith and some other Hearts players shown on 'On the Ball', which was the prequel to 'Saint and Greavsie'. In the clip, the birth certificate was displayed and then the players turned to the camera and all gave a resounding, fisting style,  'get it up ye' gesture to Greaves.

1 hour ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

Regarding Jimmy Greaves, they did more than send a copy of the birth certificate. There was a clip of Henry Smith and some other Hearts players shown on 'On the Ball', which was the prequel to 'Saint and Greavsie'. In the clip, the birth certificate was displayed and then the players turned to the camera and all gave a resounding, fisting style,  'get it up ye' gesture to Greaves.

Was unaware of this. Will have a little YouTube trip later to try and find this.

I’m sure Greaves needling was all in jest, he always seemed like a warm person to me, a pleasant joker with no malice and understood that a little contention between him and St.John was TV gold. 

Edited by Luddite

40 minutes ago, Luddite said:

Was unaware of this. Will have a little YouTube trip later to try and find this.

I’m sure Greaves needling was all in jest, he always seemed like a warm person to me, a pleasant joker to me with very no malice and understood that a little contention between him and St.John was TV gold.