Jump to content

A Photographic History Of Scottish Football


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, jagfox said:

A ground I never visited. Muirton Park, Perth. Any memories?

May be an image of outdoors

p.s. @Dundee Hibernian any of the Thistle page from your League Review?  I remember my pal had one from a couple of seasons later and it was an oversized thing before they became the more standard size. Sadly I think it has been misplaced.

Only ever visited twice.

First was a league game where we went 3-0 down and fans started to drift. We then got it back to 3-2 and everyone rushed back to the fence. We lost 4-2.

The other was the Scottish Cup Quarter Final defeat (3-2) where Saints went on to play the now-deceased Rangers in the semi.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I was there quite a few times, and saw a number of games there, not always involving St Johnstone. It used to be a favoured venue for second replays in the Scottish Cup when a north team played a side from further south. Dundee United played Queen of the South there in 1963, but I was deemed too wee to go on a midweek school night.

Was allowed to go in 1988 to see this game, which Arbroath won 1-0 after two 1-1 draws with Stenhousemuir. I don't think the crowd reached three figures. The programme, as you can see, was a poor photocopied effort

179104540_MuirtonAFCvSFC.thumb.jpg.6fcb4a961fcf5e48bd8389ccb64c8fe3.jpg

What I recall of the ground on big match days was it was similar to visiting Fir Park before the Motherwell terrace was concreted (or is that my imagination), even the segregation when it eventually was installed reminded me of 'Well's home.

And I think there were very few pubs close to the ground, unless you went to the bowling club (Kinnoull?).

Loving your turn of phrase there.

“too wee to go in 1963”

”allowed to go in 1988”

You must have matured well in the ensuing 25 years! Greenie deserved & awarded, had a wee chuckle there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Dundee United played Queen of the South there in 1963

The 2nd replay was at Ibrox not Muirton. I remember going to the first game on a Friday night as Dundee were at home to the Ibrox mob the next day. Both the Tannadice and Dens games ended 1-1. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, jagfox said:

A ground I never visited. Muirton Park, Perth. Any memories?

May be an image of outdoors

p.s. @Dundee Hibernian any of the Thistle page from your League Review?  I remember my pal had one from a couple of seasons later and it was an oversized thing before they became the more standard size. Sadly I think it has been misplaced.

Muirton was well beyond what was both safe or repairable before Saints moved out. Could have possibly redeveloped the main stand and stayed, but financially would never have worked. By the end, only the left 3rd of the main stand in the picture was usable (wooden stand deemed a risk after Bradford fire). Memories of the smell of rubbing alcohol coming from the changing rooms which you could smell on the terrace next to the tunnel.

However, despite its demolition, there is even today, bits that remain in place and others you will be familiar with and still in use.

The site is now an ASDA, but there is a part of the outer wall that is still there and has a small substation/electrical box in it.

The floodlights were retained and are still in use at McDiarmid today. The goals too, were taken to McDiarmind and used initially, although long replaced. There is also a couple of the seats from the old main stand in the reception area at McDiarmid.

Most importantly, part of the pitch is in my mums back garden! 😀

Without the move out of Muirton, Saints would be on par with Ayr and QOS at the moment. To move to a new stadium for the net cost of £1 was incredible business. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Prior to Muirton, St Johnstone played at the Recreation Ground (1885-1924), which was badly prone to flooding.

1624462087_TheRecreationGroundwaspronetoseriousflooding.jpeg.4ecc4228f2e319961f0740f02053aa76.jpeg

It sat between the railway line and Perth Prison, on Edinburgh Road.

Great bit of nostalgia is that despite the ground being gone nearly 100 years, there is still clues it was there if you look hard enough.

The below picture is from the corner of the street leading up to the ground. Just above the windows, you can just make out (clearer in person) the signage pointing fans in the direction of the ground.

The flats are the same ones in the background of Dundee Hibernians picture. 

 

Screenshot_20220803-093840_Earth.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Theyellowbox said:

 

Without the move out of Muirton, Saints would be on par with Ayr and QOS at the moment. To move to a new stadium for the net cost of £1 was incredible business. 

This will sound mental and quite probably is, but I wouldn't swap - any of it.

At one point I would have, but I love Palmerston and it would break my heart if we ever left it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

This will sound mental and quite probably is, but I wouldn't swap - any of it.

At one point I would have, but I love Palmerston and it would break my heart if we ever left it.

I think Palmerston is great and I know what you mean about leaving. It's probably taken a generation or two even for McDiarmid to have made enough memories for folk. Anyone under the age of say 35, will know nothing but McDiarmid as home. Even then, it's really needing some TLC. Maybe looks passable on TV, but the seats are all breaking, front rows and hidden bits have mismatch colours and internals are long overdue an upgrade.

It wouldn't surprise me if the club have or are looking into whether it is better to move again, although doubt they would unless it was a JV with PKC. 

Having been there a few weeks ago, Palmerston still has history and charm, but it is in desperate need of some major maintenance. The newest stand is looking its age now and while it wouldn't take much, needs a bit of an overhaul, away end does at least. But the home terracing behind the goal shouldn't be touched, love it. The Tergeles (will have that wrong) end probably needs flattened. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

The floodlights were retained and are still in use at McDiarmid today. The goals too, were taken to McDiarmind and used initially, although long replaced. There is also a couple of the seats from the old main stand in the reception area at McDiarmid.

You mean the posts were replaced 5 times and the crossbar three, but it's still the same goals.

image.jpeg.28195491f410acd9f73069eaf40166ca.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dundee United looking like selling out the entire ground for tomorrow's game v AZ Alkmaar – reminds me of Euro ties of the 1980s. This was the queue for tickets to see Dundee United v Manchester United at Tannadice 1984.

U84.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

I think Palmerston is great and I know what you mean about leaving. It's probably taken a generation or two even for McDiarmid to have made enough memories for folk. Anyone under the age of say 35, will know nothing but McDiarmid as home. Even then, it's really needing some TLC. Maybe looks passable on TV, but the seats are all breaking, front rows and hidden bits have mismatch colours and internals are long overdue an upgrade.

It wouldn't surprise me if the club have or are looking into whether it is better to move again, although doubt they would unless it was a JV with PKC. 

Having been there a few weeks ago, Palmerston still has history and charm, but it is in desperate need of some major maintenance. The newest stand is looking its age now and while it wouldn't take much, needs a bit of an overhaul, away end does at least. But the home terracing behind the goal shouldn't be touched, love it. The Tergeles (will have that wrong) end probably needs flattened. 

Yes, much as I love the place, it's really not in great shape at all right now.  It's a recurring theme on the Queens thread on here.

I was probably being facetious when saying I'd swap none of it.  These lengthy top flight spells, cup wins and clashes with European big guns were probably quite fun.  When I see pictures of Muirton, Brockville or Love Street though, they just make me sad and I'd hate us to go the same way.

On Palmerston, it really just needs some love, care and spending to perfect it.  The Terregles Street end is an interesting one.  It stood completely unused for around 20 years, but was reopened a few years back.  It's only actually open to fans occasionally.  I don't want it bulldozed, but it is a bit of a state.  I'd like it restored if possible as I like a ground to have 4 sides.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, much as I love the place, it's really not in great shape at all right now.  It's a recurring theme on the Queens thread on here.

I was probably being facetious when saying I'd swap none of it.  These lengthy top flight spells, cup wins and clashes with European big guns were probably quite fun.  When I see pictures of Muirton, Brockville or Love Street though, they just make me sad and I'd hate us to go the same way.

On Palmerston, it really just needs some love, care and spending to perfect it.  The Terregles Street end is an interesting one.  It stood completely unused for around 20 years, but was reopened a few years back.  It's only actually open to fans occasionally.  I don't want it bulldozed, but it is a bit of a state.  I'd like it restored if possible as I like a ground to have 4 sides.

Was there not proposals a few years back to build Starks Park like stands behind each goal at Palmerston?

As you say, a bit of love is needed. Not massive things, but simple things like selling tickets with particular seats, but not having the row letters remotely visible in the stand is a simple fix.

It's interesting, Brockville, Muirton and Love street all have strong positive memories for fans and mostly little to do with the actual games there, more the quirks of the places themselves. You can see some of the more recent new builds, Brentford being a prime example, are actively building on quirky features, which add something different. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, much as I love the place, it's really not in great shape at all right now.  It's a recurring theme on the Queens thread on here.

I was probably being facetious when saying I'd swap none of it.  These lengthy top flight spells, cup wins and clashes with European big guns were probably quite fun.  When I see pictures of Muirton, Brockville or Love Street though, they just make me sad and I'd hate us to go the same way.

On Palmerston, it really just needs some love, care and spending to perfect it.  The Terregles Street end is an interesting one.  It stood completely unused for around 20 years, but was reopened a few years back.  It's only actually open to fans occasionally.  I don't want it bulldozed, but it is a bit of a state.  I'd like it restored if possible as I like a ground to have 4 sides.

Overrated imo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

Was there not proposals a few years back to build Starks Park like stands behind each goal at Palmerston?

Yes, but the necessary funding was never in place thankfully.

The need to consider such matters was put on hold anyway by the demise of the SPL and its ludicrous ground criteria.

We've also found another solution in the meantime, to having to ready our ground for the top flight.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Jimmain said:

You mean the posts were replaced 5 times and the crossbar three, but it's still the same goals.

image.jpeg.28195491f410acd9f73069eaf40166ca.jpeg

😂 Enjoyed this quality Trigger's Broom of Theseus reference mate, always found it funnier than the revered "play it cool" scene.  I throw this into conversation with my Yankee wife now and then who continues to not get the reference 😆

Edited by Luddite
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Luddite said:

😂 Enjoyed this quality Trigger's Broom of Theseus reference mate, always found it funnier than the revered "play it cool" scene.  I throw this into conversation with my Yankee wife now and then who continues to not get the reference 😆

The 'play it cool' scene is wildly overrated.  It's not that funny.

The chandelier scene is way better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The 'play it cool' scene is wildly overrated.  It's not that funny.

The chandelier scene is way better.

Wish you'd've said summfin'. I was workin' on this one.  😆

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...