A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

1 minute ago, Luddite said:

I may be wrong on this, but I think he fell out of favour with Stein and Fergie for the Scotland team due to his and Charlie Nicholas' influence on Mo Johnstone. I recall Fergie stating that Johnstone followed their lead somewhat when it came to partying.

My memory isn't what it was so I may have that all arse-backwards.

Those three would have made for a terrific front three.

Mo Johnston (correct spelling) was another terrific player. 

There were issues after the game and on the flight back from Oz. 

Fergie should have played Souness and Macca against Uruguay from the start in the last game and I’m sure it would have been a different outcome as they knew how to deal with on field issues!

3 hours ago, Luddite said:

An enjoyable read.

Have only been to Love Street once, January 1988 vs Celtic , finished 1-1 with a  McAvennie last minute penalty miss.

Went to a Junior Cup 2nd replay that day in Port Glasgow.

50 seater bus filled with the team, committee members and the mate and me.

Lucky if there was 20 people on total on the bus.

We get there early and decided to walk into Port Glasgow and get something to eat and drink.

Think the kick off was 1:45 

No floodlights in the old Port Glasgow ground.

Turns up 5 minutes after kick off to find the place empty and the bus gone.

Luckily the referee was still around and he offered us a lift to Paisley and two complimentary stand tickets for the St Mirren v Celtic game.

Very kind of the chap.

Went back to Port Glasgow the following Saturday and got beat 2-1.

Btw, Port Glasgow's old ground is now underneath the M8 motorway.

On 02/08/2022 at 18:23, Mark Connolly said:

Not sure this is officially the right thread for this, but it sort of fits.

It was 53 years ago today that we first played in Tangerine (as United rather than Dallas Tornado).

Not too late to change back to their vastly superior and tasteful all white and black.

Edited by Stag Nation

4 hours ago, Specky Ginger said:

You're probably right to say Scottish football was much better then, but unfortunately Raith Rovers were shite at that time and by the time of my first visit to Love Street in 1992 (Rovers' first for 15 years), the North Bank was seated.

That was at the time Strathclyde Police's 'Operation Blade' was in full swing and the charming young Buddies duly informed us in song that 'We're gonnae stab you in Paisley'.

I visited St Mirren Park around that time for the only occasion. Meadowbank fans used to get comps off the players and we had so many we started handing them out to Saints fans.

Stood in the paddock next to the stand. Wee neds opposite were chucking stones and coins at us, they were sailing over the head of an oblivious polisman. Anyway Meadowbank fan next to me got hit by a sharpened 2p and I had to pretend to be concerned (was laughing inside because I secretly thought he was a p***k)

Meadowbank won 2-1 too ..

2 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Last of the big spenders!

If it was Albion Rovers, East Stirlingshire or Cowdenbeath that 2p would have been plucked out of the air by a heroic board member before it could hit anyone

Jimmy Bone lifting the Anglo Scottish cup. The only Scottish club captain to manage it. St Mirren reached the final on two occasions both against English top flight team Bristol City.
The last time an Anglo-Scottish cup was competed for was in 1987 between Coventry City and St Mirren both respective holders of their countries FA cup. First leg was a 1-1 draw at Highfield Road but Coventry shit themselves and refused to play the second leg.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Scottish_Cup

8597B5A6-F4D2-4003-9A69-607BBF2EA518.jpeg.649a6f05108dedf9ff26c4f136b59d0d.jpeg

D0DA6CF3-8E28-4EAA-A921-9A617259A5EF.thumb.jpeg.3f779c57051a4d653a2457e30b7322d5.jpeg

5E99FD17-44EE-433B-ACB6-294766D2E7DB.thumb.jpeg.ea099f407076a701ef2b626d8d36ff84.jpeg

C7FB121C-DFCD-4922-BAF1-ADFA2F86F861.jpeg.37e1fec519a6123783e9aa864eb977a8.jpeg 219BF989-DA54-4813-A2B3-1A84C2BBB065.thumb.jpeg.b478d1aab9870cb1c4df5fe2e4523f6d.jpeg

Top teams from Scotland that entered and failed in the Anglo Scottish Cup include Aberdeen, Celtic, Hearts, Dundee, Falkirk, St Johnstone, Motherwell, Dundee United, Clydebank, Rangers, Hibernian, Partick Thistle, Queen of the South. Even Morten took part!

Celtic fans rioted in this tournament away in Burnley who were in Division 2 where they lost 1-0 at Turf Moor and were beaten in the second leg 2-1 at Parkhead. Celtic fielded full strength teams in each leg.
https://www.thecelticwiki.com/1978-09-12-burnley-1-0-celtic-anglo-scottish-cup/

12CBD7FC-57C6-459C-9161-06F8B561CF46.thumb.jpeg.9b0802d016c1296e40b1acddf4876b35.jpegF9963D27-6E18-4208-81F9-F28446A19954.thumb.jpeg.072e367980e24072ea8f944519cc6505.jpeg
https://www.thecelticwiki.com/anglo-scottish-cup-1976-1981/

3F24B5A6-47FE-478A-92B3-478DD6A5015D.thumb.jpeg.19321bb4540a175564dde5f1326203a6.jpeg

Rangers were beaten by Division Three Chesterfield in 1980. Rangers drew the home leg 1-1 at Ibrox and got pumped 3-0 in Chesterfield. 

Rangers fielded full strength teams in each leg
Rangers v Chesterfield Anglo Scottish Cup Qtr Final 1st Leg 13.10.1980  1-1 Attendance 13,000
McCloy, Jardine, Miller, T Forsyth, Johnstone, Bett, McLean, Dalziel, McAdam, Redford, Johnstone
Substitute Used, J MacDonald 

Anglo Scottish Cup Qtr Final 2nd Leg 28.10.1980 3-0 Attendance 13,914
McCloy, Jardine, Dawson, T Forsyth, Jackson, Bett, McKay, Russell, McAdam, Redford, Johnstone
Substitute Used, J McDonald

Two shameful results in Scottish football.

18 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

On Palmerston, it really just needs some love, care and spending to perfect it.  The Terregles Street end is an interesting one.  It stood completely unused for around 20 years, but was reopened a few years back.  It's only actually open to fans occasionally.  I don't want it bulldozed, but it is a bit of a state.  I'd like it restored if possible as I like a ground to have 4 sides.

A good power washer should sort it out.

16 hours ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

Have to disagree with regards Love St. I’m sure other fans of other clubs would agree that the games witnessed were more important than the surroundings.

I watched the club undergo a total transformation by Fergie. 

A 4-1 pumping of high flying top flight Dundee United on a frozen pitch in ‘77 was a Fergie masterclass in managing referees (forcing the game to be played) and the style of football played.

Played against a full strength Liverpool team in 1977 in our centenary game. Drew 1-1.

Liverpool: Ray Clemence, Phil Neal, Alan Hansen, Phil Thompson, Emlyn Hughes, Ian Callaghan, Ray Kennedy, Terry McDermott, Jimmy Case David Fairclough, Kenny Dalglish.

Seen many a victory over the Old Firm. Pumping Hearts and Morten on a regular basis by 5 or 6 goals!

Seeing George Best play for Fulham in Anglo Scottish cup.

Winning the ASC becoming the only Scottish side to do it.

Watching Best make his debut for Hibs and once again him being on the losing side.

Regular games in Europe and seeing players of the calibre of Rep, Battiston, Lopez, Cruyff, Gullit etc strutting their stuff.

A number of old First Division League titles achieved.

It was an excellent atmosphere when the Northbank was all standing and both sets of fans were side by side. Putting in seats killed the intense atmosphere.

But to say there were not memorable matches is unfair in my opinion.

There were obviously some difficult times.

I can only remember one major title being won by another team on our pitch which was Albert Kidd day in 1986.

I miss Love Street like many supporters of my era. 

To think at one point in the 70s and 80s we had two players (Iain Munro and Billy Thompson) each receive 7 full Scotland international caps while at St Mirren shows how good the team actually were at that time. We had a European Golden Boot winner in part time Doug Somner.

Scottish football was way much better in the 70s and 80s. Even Morten played in the top flight back then.

Our game is in a sorry state now.

Was more thinking as an away fan. For a lot of the games at the likes of Brockville, I couldn't recall the particular game or score, but what I do remember is the 'surge' at the segregation fence when a goal was scored.

Home fans remember things differently though as the surroundings are less noticeable as they are just there. That and when you play the same team regularly, I.E trips to Tannadice and Dens become more about the game and not about the surroundings, if that makes sense.

100% agree about the game being a right state now. Money talks on the pitch and players who remained in Scotland in 70's 80's, would be long gone now.

Off the pitch is where we have lazily let ourselves down. Sub standard redevelopment rushed in the 90's by clubs who neither needed them and don't have the finances to maintain them, have left us with some white Elephants that are now becoming a burden. For example, there must be seats at Airdrie that have been barely sat on, yet will require maintenence due to age. 

20 hours ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

Fergie should have played Souness and Macca against Uruguay from the start in the last game and I’m sure it would have been a different outcome as they knew how to deal with on field issues!

20 hours ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

Appreciate the correction, my phone’s presumptive text is adamant it’s spelled with an e, I pick my battles with autocorrect and that little shite’s surname is not high up on my priorities 😁

17 hours ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

Jimmy Bone lifting the Anglo Scottish cup. The only Scottish club captain to manage it. St Mirren reached the final on two occasions both against English top flight team Bristol City.
The last time an Anglo-Scottish cup was competed for was in 1987 between Coventry City and St Mirren both respective holders of their countries FA cup. First leg was a 1-1 draw at Highfield Road but Coventry shit themselves and refused to play the second leg.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Scottish_Cup

8597B5A6-F4D2-4003-9A69-607BBF2EA518.jpeg.649a6f05108dedf9ff26c4f136b59d0d.jpeg

D0DA6CF3-8E28-4EAA-A921-9A617259A5EF.thumb.jpeg.3f779c57051a4d653a2457e30b7322d5.jpeg

5E99FD17-44EE-433B-ACB6-294766D2E7DB.thumb.jpeg.ea099f407076a701ef2b626d8d36ff84.jpeg

C7FB121C-DFCD-4922-BAF1-ADFA2F86F861.jpeg.37e1fec519a6123783e9aa864eb977a8.jpeg 219BF989-DA54-4813-A2B3-1A84C2BBB065.thumb.jpeg.b478d1aab9870cb1c4df5fe2e4523f6d.jpeg

This is what fans today would call a “diddy cup” right?, but I recall Brian Clough stating he took all tournaments entered into seriously and I believe he thought his Forest team winning 76-77 Anglo Cup gave them a jolt of confidence which saw them win the English 2nd division that same year and then the 1st division and then back to back European Cups. 

Then you have the neoliberal wet dream that is Arsene Wenger stating that 4th place is a “trophy” superior to the FA and League Cups.

I can’t relate.

This is what fans today would call a “diddy cup” right?, but I recall Brian Clough stating he took all tournaments entered into seriously and I believe he thought his Forest team winning 76-77 Anglo Cup gave them a jolt of confidence which saw them win the English 2nd division that same year and then the 1st division and then back to back European Cups. 

Then you have the neoliberal wet dream that is Arsene Wenger stating that 4th place is a “trophy” superior to the FA and League Cups.

I can’t relate.

Well he must've changed his mind. He didn't turn up at the Texaco cup final first leg in Airdrie.

17 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Well he must've changed his mind. He didn't turn up at the Texaco cup final first leg in Airdrie.

There’s been many examples of managers being absent at games for a variety of reasons, doesn’t mean he didn’t want to win it.

Maybe Clough felt the team he picked with the form they were in and the preparation he had in place should be able to defeat a small Scottish club without him being there to hold their hands, and if they couldn’t then they need to reassess their commitment…possibly?

Considering Derby did indeed win the Texaco Cup AND the English First division that year I’d suggest he knew what he was doing.

Edited by Luddite

2 minutes ago, Luddite said:

There’s been many examples of managers being absent at games for a variety of reasons, doesn’t mean he didn’t want to win it.

Maybe Clough felt the team he picked with the form they were in and the preparation he had in place should be able to defeat a small Scottish club without him being their to hold their hands, and if they couldn’t then they need to reassess their commitment…possibly?

Considering Derby did indeed win the Texaco Cup AND the English First division that year I’d suggest he knew what he was doing.

Or he couldn't be arsed, or was drunk!

2 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Or he couldn't be arsed, or was drunk!

Possibly, though he was at his hungriest and most enthusiastic around this time, still a young man and not suffering from the type of drinking problems 20 years later.

That being said, he did make a lot of contradictory, hypocritical and self-serving proclamations so you could be right. I’d just doubt it being the case at that particular time

Possibly, though he was at his hungriest and most enthusiastic around this time, still a young man and not suffering from the type of drinking problems 20 years later.

That being said, he did make a lot of contradictory, hypocritical and self-serving proclamations so you could be right. I’d just doubt it being the case at that particular time

I was a kid, but remember it being portrayed as arrogance and contempt for Scottish football. God knows what he'd think of it now.

50 minutes ago, Luddite said:

I can’t relate.

Rangers and Celtic took it seriously by fielding full strength teams as neither qualified for Europe in those seasons they participated in the ASC competition.

It was a great competition in my opinion. As you say Brian Clough certainly agreed. 

UEFA Champions League has corrupted football north and south of the border. It’s only created extreme wealth for certain clubs which is causing a greater rift every season.

We are unlikely ever to see a team like Nottingham Forest win a domestic league and win back to back European titles.

The gulf between the financial clout of Celtic and Rangers through CL money versus the rest of Scottish football is widening every year. No one else can compete. So sad to see.

5 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I was a kid, but remember it being portrayed as arrogance and contempt for Scottish football. God knows what he'd think of it now.

We Scots love to feel we are being dismissed by the English though, don’t we? If I was selling newspapers that’s the angle I’d go with too 😁