Jump to content

A Photographic History Of Scottish Football


Recommended Posts

On 18/06/2022 at 23:07, Arch Stanton said:

Billy Johnston front centre. Was a great player for Saints during the 76/77 1st Division championship.

Here he is in the 1976 Xmas Day game at Kilbowie, a 2-2 draw.

Image

My All Time Favourite Saints Player…..loved to watch Billy who as you can guess made a huge impression on me 👏👏👏⚽

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 19/06/2022 at 12:38, Ivo den Bieman said:

Forgotten footballers who were actually quite good. Dumbarton legend Stuart MacIver who scored goals for the Sons in all three divisions. Signed in 1984 in the Premier League and ended up with Dumbarton as also-rans in the basement.

I also for some reason quite liked this bright gold Dumarton shirt sponsored by Polaroid.

Left for Clyde in 1992 where he couldn’t buy a goal, wasn’t popular & retired. Not sure what he’s doing with himself now.

C2298DC1-825E-4C87-AEFD-3FE384ABF8F5.jpeg

Aye, as someone has already noted, Stuarty was destined for a bright future but it never fully materialised.  He was a fine player for us though, wiry with a turn of pace and with the striker's positional instinct.

He worked locally at Polaroid and maybe the regular overtime became more valuable than the fitba, who knows.

If you like a nice strip, check out our 150th Anniversary specials, soon to be released.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, bluearmyfaction said:

McBain joined Ayr Utd before World War 1 started; there cannot be many professional careers that went from before that war until after the Second.

New Brighton were the second club from the area to be in the League; New Brighton Tower had a couple of seasons in the 1900s, very well backed, but the crowds were not there.  The idea was to have a winter entertainment in the seaside resort but frankly Birkenhead is worth avoiding at the best of times, let alone of a January afternoon.

Birkenhead are Tranmere Rovers. New Brighton is a separate town altogether.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

Demolition of Love Street.

 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

That away stand was a bit scary whenever you were celebrating a goal. Pictures don't do justice as to how steep it was. Am I right in saying there was a gym and/or an indoor 5 a side pitch under it?

I get the economics of moving to the new ground, but a real shame more couldn't be/wasn't done to love street. 3 sides would still be workable now and if you could have transported the current main stand there, would be a ground with real character.

Assume Morton must have got rid by now, the stand they bought and no plans still to erect it? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

That away stand was a bit scary whenever you were celebrating a goal. Pictures don't do justice as to how steep it was. Am I right in saying there was a gym and/or an indoor 5 a side pitch under it?

I get the economics of moving to the new ground, but a real shame more couldn't be/wasn't done to love street. 3 sides would still be workable now and if you could have transported the current main stand there, would be a ground with real character.

Assume Morton must have got rid by now, the stand they bought and no plans still to erect it? 

Yes there was gym hall and small indoor pitch.

The soap dodgers sold off the old love st stand roof last year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

That away stand was a bit scary whenever you were celebrating a goal. Pictures don't do justice as to how steep it was. Am I right in saying there was a gym and/or an indoor 5 a side pitch under it?

I get the economics of moving to the new ground, but a real shame more couldn't be/wasn't done to love street. 3 sides would still be workable now and if you could have transported the current main stand there, would be a ground with real character.

Assume Morton must have got rid by now, the stand they bought and no plans still to erect it? 

Sight lines from the away stand were streets ahead of those at the current ground. It was a big upgrade on the rest of Love Street with the gym and 5s pitches, as well as the ticket office and a bar of sorts. It was only in use for 14 years.

Morten's plans for the stand never materialised, but they are using the lamps from the floodlights at Cappielow.

 

5.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seeing as this is the Queen's (platinum) jubilee year, here is the programme from the Coronation Cup Final of 1953. Probably much to the chagrin of the organisers the finalists were Celtic and Hibs, they had more than likely been hoping for Rangers and Arsenal, both of whom got knocked out at the first stage, by Manchester United and Celtic respectively.

Celtic beat Manchester United in the semi finals, 2-1, and Hibs crushed Newcastle United by 4-0, the same score as United had crushed the Dons. Tottenham Hotspur were the other team, losing to Hibs in a replay in the first round.

Celtic enhanced their cup tradition, winning 2-0 at Hampden in the final, Mochan and Walsh scoring. And Hibs enhanced their reputation of losing finals. 117,060 in attendance.

Some weel kent faces on both sides, Hibs famous five, Tommy Younger in goals, Bobby Combe in the half back line.

Celtic had Bobbys Evans and Collins, Jock Stein (pictured wearing an Albion Rovers strip?), Charlie Tully, the aforementioned Neil Mochan, Bertie Peacock and John McPhail.

Neither Lord McGowan nor Sir George Graham look particularly pleased to have their photos taken and Jimmy McGrory looks like he's been caught doing something illicit, whereas Fred Denovan looks quite pleased with himself.

The advert on the back page would suggest whisky - or at least this brand - was rationed/in short supply.

The usual format of a Hampden cup final programme from the 40s to the 60s.

Image 1 - 1953 CORONATION CUP FINAL CELTIC V HIBERNIAN

Image 2 - 1953 CORONATION CUP FINAL CELTIC V HIBERNIAN

Image 3 - 1953 CORONATION CUP FINAL CELTIC V HIBERNIAN

Image 4 - 1953 CORONATION CUP FINAL CELTIC V HIBERNIAN

Image 5 - 1953 CORONATION CUP FINAL CELTIC V HIBERNIAN

Opening bid on eBay is £99.99 (plus £2.90 p&p), and there are 5 days left for bidding, should you be interested.

ETA: Went for £210.00

Edited by Jacksgranda
Sleppnig
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Seeing as this is the Queen's (platinum) jubilee year, here is the programme from the Coronation Cup Final of 1953. Probably much to the chagrin of the organisers the finalists were Celtic and Hibs, they had more than likely been hoping for Rangers and Arsenal, both of whom got knocked out at the first stage, by Manchester United and Celtic respectively.

Celtic beat Manchester United in the semi finals, 2-1, and Hibs crushed Newcastle United by 4-0, the same score as United had crushed the Dons. Tottenham Hotspur were the other team, losing to Hibs in a replay in the first round.

Celtic enhanced their cup tradition, winning 2-0 at Hampden in the final, Mochan and Walsh scoring. And Hibs enhanced their reputation of losing finals. 117,060 in attendance.

Some weel kent faces on both sides, Hibs famous five, Tommy Younger in goals, Bobby Combe in the half back line.

Celtic had Bobbys Evans and Collins, Jock Stein (pictured wearing an Albion Rovers strip?), Charlie Tully, the aforementioned Neil Mochan, Bertie Peacock and John McPhail.

Neither Lord McGowan nor Sir George Graham look particularly pleased to have their photos taken and Jimmy McGrory looks like he's been caught doing something illicit, whereas Fred Denovan looks quite pleased with himself.

The advert on the back page would suggest whisky - or at least this brand - was rationed/in short supply.

The usual format of a Hampden cup final programme from the 40s to the 60s.

Image 1 - 1953 CORONATION CUP FINAL CELTIC V HIBERNIAN

Image 2 - 1953 CORONATION CUP FINAL CELTIC V HIBERNIAN

Image 3 - 1953 CORONATION CUP FINAL CELTIC V HIBERNIAN

Image 4 - 1953 CORONATION CUP FINAL CELTIC V HIBERNIAN

Image 5 - 1953 CORONATION CUP FINAL CELTIC V HIBERNIAN

Opening bid on eBay is £99.99 (plus £2.90 p&p), and there are 5 days left for bidding, should you be interested.

Celtic have a familiar badge there.

The programme editor has allocated the cost of arms of the City of Edinburgh to Hibs- the Edinburgh and District FA used this.

Some Hibs historian on here may clarify but I'm not sure Hibs ever used that badge.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Any ideas if this tournament & this same trophy will reemerge in years to come as Chuck/WIlliam gets the crown? 

(And his Lordship has that smug superior look simply because Lords just know that they are superior to the grey bunneted football hoardes.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Seeing as this is the Queen's (platinum) jubilee year, here is the programme from the Coronation Cup Final of 1953. Probably much to the chagrin of the organisers the finalists were Celtic and Hibs, they had more than likely been hoping for Rangers and Arsenal, both of whom got knocked out at the first stage, by Manchester United and Celtic respectively.

Celtic beat Manchester United in the semi finals, 2-1, and Hibs crushed Newcastle United by 4-0, the same score as United had crushed the Dons. Tottenham Hotspur were the other team, losing to Hibs in a replay in the first round.

Celtic enhanced their cup tradition, winning 2-0 at Hampden in the final, Mochan and Walsh scoring. And Hibs enhanced their reputation of losing finals. 117,060 in attendance.

Some weel kent faces on both sides, Hibs famous five, Tommy Younger in goals, Bobby Combe in the half back line.

Celtic had Bobbys Evans and Collins, Jock Stein (pictured wearing an Albion Rovers strip?), Charlie Tully, the aforementioned Neil Mochan, Bertie Peacock and John McPhail.

Neither Lord McGowan nor Sir George Graham look particularly pleased to have their photos taken and Jimmy McGrory looks like he's been caught doing something illicit, whereas Fred Denovan looks quite pleased with himself.

The advert on the back page would suggest whisky - or at least this brand - was rationed/in short supply.

The usual format of a Hampden cup final programme from the 40s to the 60s.

Image 1 - 1953 CORONATION CUP FINAL CELTIC V HIBERNIAN

Image 2 - 1953 CORONATION CUP FINAL CELTIC V HIBERNIAN

Image 3 - 1953 CORONATION CUP FINAL CELTIC V HIBERNIAN

Image 4 - 1953 CORONATION CUP FINAL CELTIC V HIBERNIAN

Image 5 - 1953 CORONATION CUP FINAL CELTIC V HIBERNIAN

Opening bid on eBay is £99.99 (plus £2.90 p&p), and there are 5 days left for bidding, should you be interested.

Linesman R H Davidson of Airdrie was a regular referee during my early years following Aberdeen. And in particular he put in a tremendous performance in the 1970 Scottish Cup Final.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Linesman R H Davidson of Airdrie was a regular referee during my early years following Aberdeen. And in particular he put in a tremendous performance in the 1970 Scottish Cup Final.

He did indeed!  :lol:

Nearly man of the match, imho. 

ETA: I seem to remember Hugh Phillips was still refereeing when I first started going.

Edited by Jacksgranda
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, House Bartender said:

Any ideas if this tournament & this same trophy will reemerge in years to come as Chuck/WIlliam gets the crown? 

(And his Lordship has that smug superior look simply because Lords just know that they are superior to the grey bunneted football hoardes.)

Funny, I was just thinking that myself. 

I'm not sure if the League/SFA would have the neck to ask for it back after 70 years.

(His lordship looks like he's been caught doing a particularly smelly fart, imo.)

Edited by Jacksgranda
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

Demolition of Love Street.

 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Some of St Mirren's seats were re-used at Threave Rovers;

threave1.jpg.ddd4d52a16c34e781e26396c6366a1e2.jpg

threave2.jpg.e603b076e2867b2bdec01483121d2ace.jpg

and the ever cheapo Edinburgh Leisure bought a few for use at Meadowbank (white seats in the stand in the background. Craig Beattie scoring for a properly named team and not a franchise plaything)

seats.thumb.jpg.550e37eeb2b5dcd964a564b5b40347e7.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 19/06/2022 at 13:29, Salvo Montalbano said:

Might have been these two photographs from the excellent "Your Old Stadium" thread? It's well worth a read and is in the Gold Forum.

QP in action at Hampden in 1975. 

 

https://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php?/topic/209779-your-old-stadium/&do=findComment&comment=9915962

I've seen those on that thread, an excellent one as you say 

The photos I have in mind were aerial shots from directly above. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They neatly stacked the seats that were going elsewhere, and obliterated the others, as below.

Also pictured, pish troughs that were purported to have been bought by Aberdeen at the time, if anyone recalls peeing into one of these at Pittodrie. Pictured alongside some of Morten's lights.

white.thumb.jpg.cf579ae281db30a52eed6d0a2edc7053.jpgred.thumb.jpg.d438dc404c7dfa85f3677fb21081901b.jpgbogsnlights.thumb.jpg.18601aaebdebdeb86f4b8dcf040c7aec.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

They neatly stacked the seats that were going elsewhere, and obliterated the others, as below.

Also pictured, pish troughs that were purported to have been bought by Aberdeen at the time, if anyone recalls peeing into one of these at Pittodrie. Pictured alongside some of Morten's lights.

white.thumb.jpg.cf579ae281db30a52eed6d0a2edc7053.jpgred.thumb.jpg.d438dc404c7dfa85f3677fb21081901b.jpgbogsnlights.thumb.jpg.18601aaebdebdeb86f4b8dcf040c7aec.jpg

Having pished at Pittodrie back in January I wonder if they ended up in the away end?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Having just read up on the Coronation Cup, it involved Hibs and Rangers who were the Scottish Champions from 51/52 and 52/53, Aberdeen who were beaten finalists in the 52/53 Scottish Cup (losing to double winners Rangers),  Arsenal and Man Utd who were English Champions for the same seasons, Newcastle who had won the English FA Cup both seasons, Spurs (who were runners-up to Man Utd) and, erm, Celtic., who, under Jimmy McGrory had won fuck all.

I guess even back then there were concerns about inviting one half of the OF without the other.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...