A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

5 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Aye, but it wasn't an "away" kit, no such thing back then, it was their change kit (struggling to think who they would have clashed with - Clyde, Stirling Albion?).

St. Mirren had an all white shirt for several seasons during the 60s so United would have changed when they played each other at Tannadice....or so you would think!!!

In the 60/61 season they played a Scottish Cup tie at Tannadice. Saints shirt that season was all white but for some reason United didn't change so the Saints kitman made a dash across the road to borrow Dundee's home kit.

That proved no deterrent as Saints won 1-0 thanks to a Rab Stewart goal.

image.png.3db272298425b3961caa20f880bb0a9e.png

8 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

St. Mirren had an all white shirt for several seasons during the 60s so United would have changed when they played each other at Tannadice....or so you would think!!!

In the 60/61 season they played a Scottish Cup tie at Tannadice. Saints shirt that season was all white but for some reason United didn't change so the Saints kitman made a dash across the road to borrow Dundee's home kit.

In the Scottish Cup back then both sides were supposed to wear change if their was a colour clash. Over the road on the same day Dundee wore all white against Rangers in blue and whiten stripes.  I think there’s the United v St Mirren somewhere in this thread.

Edited by Eednud

On 15/06/2022 at 19:18, Ivo den Bieman said:

Quite right. Stirling have had the occasional all-red strip (including this season) but their trad colours are red shirts / white sleeves & white shorts.

A quick bit of research shows that they've only worn that combination in about 15 seasons out of 77, so hardly "trad".

All red more or less as often.

18 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

There were two Bobby Campbells on Saints books at one time so match reporters referred to them by hair colour - Bobby "Red" Campbell and Bobby "Black" Campbell.

Looking at the ad in the bottom right of the programme cover was early 60s Dundee a hotbed of Reliant 3 wheelers?

According to this, Ray Houghton's  ambition was "To do well with Fulham and to play for Scotland."  Seemingly Jack Charlton went to an Oxford game with a view to getting John Aldridge to play for Ireland. Aldridge said he would "and by the way, Ray Houghton, over there, is Irish qualified too through his Granny. Why don't you ask him?"

Jack did, and the rest is history..

20220629_195125.jpg

Edited by Piquet

Some old Cowdenbeath photos from times gone by.

Legendary Cowden physio Davie Stewart (in post 1930-53) working on Cowden's goalkeeper of the day. Weirdly the composition of this photo really reminds me of the famous Rembrandt painting, The Anatomy Lesson of Dr. Tulp, although the Cowden keeper is (presumably) still alive.

841902002_Screenshot2022-06-30at18_26_54.thumb.png.74bd39eb35d3064540b687a4ea17bdc3.png

Also a famous miscreant from that era: Jim "Hooky" Leonard, immortalised in Ron Ferguson's books on the club:

757298117_Screenshot2022-06-30at18_26_43.thumb.png.eec23790b3ee90b31d4d3d70a8921f83.png

Central Park in 1932

:images.jpg.cc30732edc18c90a69cdae30799d3e6a.jpg

The Cowden side that finished rock bottom of the old first division in 1971, six points adrift of St. Mirren, and the Pars, who survived on gaol difference that year:

d5bb24be2b57f504b5561aceb1c34093--retro-football-.jpg.bf644a6c915a8bb0d4cc9f59aa6f2a7b.jpg

20 years later, in 1989/90 John Brownlie's team in a remarkably minimalist strip finished midtable, narrowly missed out behind Montrose the following season, and finally went up in 1992. They were a top side full of characters. (TRIANCO are a domestic boiler company who I think still exist). Extended highlights from Killie making heavy weather of Cowden at Rugby Park in May 1990- Killie were promoted that day, and Cowden ended up 7th.

s-l1600-1.thumb.jpg.00a920c75d011061c70cfbcf5b8b4a52.jpg

Finally, one of my favourite Scottish football photos which for me captures much of the spirit of the lower leagues. The Pars visit Central Park during 2015/16 in front of a big crowd. Hope Cowden can turn themselves around and that there'll be one more of these West Fife derbies in future.

CBP_8184_9346.thumb.jpg.67d46ed0ea72a62be241a67ac0290167.jpg

Edited by Ivo den Bieman

A Third Lanark programme from season 1960/61, which was the apogee of Thirds' post war league seasons, they finished third, scoring 100 goals and conceding 80, some entertainment for Thirds' fans, over 5 goals per game.

This is a League Cup sectional match against Rangers, which Third Lanark won 2-1, although Rangers qualified from the section and went on to win the League Cup, beating Kilmarnock 2-0 in the final.

The League Cup was a bit of a goldmine for Thirds, the other teams were Partick Thistle and Celtic, so minimal travelling expenses and huge crowds, 50/50 split after expenses in those days, 149,000 in total. I've no idea what the admission charges were back then, and you would have to deduct season ticket holders, but would you be looking at getting roughly £6,000.00 +?

Image 1 - 1960-61 THIRD LANARK v. RANGERS, Scottish League Cup, good cond, (light fold)

Image 2 - 1960-61 THIRD LANARK v. RANGERS, Scottish League Cup, good cond, (light fold)

Image 3 - 1960-61 THIRD LANARK v. RANGERS, Scottish League Cup, good cond, (light fold)

Image 4 - 1960-61 THIRD LANARK v. RANGERS, Scottish League Cup, good cond, (light fold)

Image 5 - 1960-61 THIRD LANARK v. RANGERS, Scottish League Cup, good cond, (light fold)

The score and the team changes have been helpfully filled in, 2-1 to Thirds, Jocky Robertson in goals for Thirds, John McCormick and Willie Cunningham in the half back line, forwards Goodfellow, Hilley, Harley, Gray and McInnes - some firepower there.

Rangers had Ritchie in goals, Eric Caldow at right back (put through his own net), Davies and Stevenson in the half back line, Scott, Baxter, Miller, Brand and Wilson up front.

I sometimes wonder what would have happened at Cathkin had William Hiddleston not got back in and George Young had remained as manager.

The following year Third Lanark won the Glasgow Cup and 4 years later it was all over.

4 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

conceding 80...Jocky Robertson in goals for Thirds...

No wonder with a 5'5" keeper. Even back then, when average height was a good few inches less than now, that seems ridiculous.

ETA That season he also conceded 8 against St. Mirren at Cathkin in a Scottish Cup replay.

Edited by Arch Stanton

19 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Finally, one of my favourite Scottish football photos which for me captures much of the spirit of the lower leagues. The Pars visit Central Park during 2015/16 in front of a big crowd. Hope Cowden can turn themselves around and that there'll be one more of these West Fife derbies in future.

CBP_8184_9346.thumb.jpg.67d46ed0ea72a62be241a67ac0290167.jpg

I always liked this one from Central Park:

Screenshot_20220701-135531_Opera.jpg.7f7b52f19174f33cd04ec49465fdb0c9.jpg

Sadly I can't see Cowden back in League 2 for a very long time, possibly ever.

2 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

The realist in me agrees with that. However, thankfully, football isn't a game for realists.

There needs to be a churn of the well funded clubs from the Highland and Lowland Leagues, i.e. them going up or bust, before a team like Cowden gets a shot at running for the Lowland League title and then playoffs I think. It's not enough to win the Lowland League; they would need to then win the two ties after. Very difficult to do.

20 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Also a famous miscreant from that era: Jim "Hooky" Leonard, immortalised in Ron Ferguson's books on the club:

The Rev. Ron is always worth a read. Great ex-newspaper columnist (Herald & P&J) and former minister (St Magnus Cathedral, Kirkwall latterly). And always eager to proclaim/preach his love of his team in any circumstances. A proper fan. (Must get round to reading "Black Diamonds and the Blue Brazil" myself). Here's a specimen of his world from what must now be seen as happier days, although it didn't seem so at the time.

https://www.scottishreview.net/RonFerguson255a.html

1 hour ago, House Bartender said:

The Rev. Ron is always worth a read. Great ex-newspaper columnist (Herald & P&J) and former minister (St Magnus Cathedral, Kirkwall latterly). And always eager to proclaim/preach his love of his team in any circumstances. A proper fan. (Must get round to reading "Black Diamonds and the Blue Brazil" myself). Here's a specimen of his world from what must now be seen as happier days, although it didn't seem so at the time.

https://www.scottishreview.net/RonFerguson255a.html

Yes, very interesting, although the good reverend can't differentiate between "senior leagues" and senior non-league.

Edited by Jacksgranda
Sleppnig

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

There needs to be a churn of the well funded clubs from the Highland and Lowland Leagues, i.e. them going up or bust, before a team like Cowden gets a shot at running for the Lowland League title and then playoffs I think. It's not enough to win the Lowland League; they would need to then win the two ties after. Very difficult to do.

Cowdenbeath will potentially have the biggest budget in the Lowland League this season, and if not there's certainly nobody miles ahead of them the way someone like Kelty were a couple of years back. Not sure there's a big spender in the Highland League either.

In many ways this year is probably their best chance to get back, because you'll probably see a Darvel or another big club from the east getting in next season.

Edited by craigkillie

9 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

A Third Lanark programme from season 1960/61, which was the apogee of Thirds' post war league seasons, they finished third, scoring 100 goals and conceding 80, some entertainment for Thirds' fans, over 5 goals per game.

This is a League Cup sectional match against Rangers, which Third Lanark won 2-1, although Rangers qualified from the section and went on to win the League Cup, beating Kilmarnock 2-0 in the final.

The League Cup was a bit of a goldmine for Thirds, the other teams were Partick Thistle and Celtic, so minimal travelling expenses and huge crowds, 50/50 split after expenses in those days, 149,000 in total. I've no idea what the admission charges were back then, and you would have to deduct season ticket holders, but would you be looking at getting roughly £6,000.00 +?

Image 1 - 1960-61 THIRD LANARK v. RANGERS, Scottish League Cup, good cond, (light fold)

Image 2 - 1960-61 THIRD LANARK v. RANGERS, Scottish League Cup, good cond, (light fold)

Image 3 - 1960-61 THIRD LANARK v. RANGERS, Scottish League Cup, good cond, (light fold)

Image 4 - 1960-61 THIRD LANARK v. RANGERS, Scottish League Cup, good cond, (light fold)

Image 5 - 1960-61 THIRD LANARK v. RANGERS, Scottish League Cup, good cond, (light fold)

The score and the team changes have been helpfully filled in, 2-1 to Thirds, Jocky Robertson in goals for Thirds, John McCormick and Willie Cunningham in the half back line, forwards Goodfellow, Hilley, Harley, Gray and McInnes - some firepower there.

Rangers had Ritchie in goals, Eric Caldow at right back (put through his own net), Davies and Stevenson in the half back line, Scott, Baxter, Miller, Brand and Wilson up front.

I sometimes wonder what would have happened at Cathkin had William Hiddleston not got back in and George Young had remained as manager.

The following year Third Lanark won the Glasgow Cup and 4 years later it was all over.

Four Crown Sherry and Dryborough's Heavy would make for a very messy cage in the morning.

11 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Four Crown Sherry and Dryborough's Heavy would make for a very messy cage in the morning.

Not to mention a drop of Martell...