A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

5 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

For Bairns-related clarity, George Watson the multi centurian GOALKEEPER, is between Hay and Perry on the back row.

Unsure of front left as a result. is it Pogo Smith?

Also: that's quite a different shade of blue in the Rangers photo to ones used by any club based at Ibrox hence.

https://bettermeddle.org.uk/archive/byseason/photo.php?year2=1980

According to ‘bettermeddle’ it’s Dave Watson, of whom I have no recollection at all.

7 minutes ago, Oscar P said:

https://bettermeddle.org.uk/archive/byseason/photo.php?year2=1980

According to ‘bettermeddle’ it’s Dave Watson, of whom I have no recollection at all.

Billy Johnston front centre. Was a great player for Saints during the 76/77 1st Division championship.

Here he is in the 1976 Xmas Day game at Kilbowie, a 2-2 draw.

9 hours ago, Piquet said:

A pal and I were reminiscing (talking Shyte, in other words) last night and the subject of Hampden came up. Specifically, the attendances and the size of the terraces as seen from various photos on this and other sites. I have a vague memory of a Football Annual, back in the late 60s or early 70s. The inside front cover was a two page aerial shot of Hampden during a Scotland England game and the inside back cover was a similar shot of a Queens Park League game. 

Can anyone confirm my memory? 

Does anyone have the Annual and can they scan the photos? 

I remember seeing that but can’t remember which annual. Possibly The Scottish Football Book or Topical Times.

16 hours ago, Piquet said:

A pal and I were reminiscing (talking Shyte, in other words) last night and the subject of Hampden came up. Specifically, the attendances and the size of the terraces as seen from various photos on this and other sites. I have a vague memory of a Football Annual, back in the late 60s or early 70s. The inside front cover was a two page aerial shot of Hampden during a Scotland England game and the inside back cover was a similar shot of a Queens Park League game. 

I'm thinking I've seen that too: perhaps one of the Scottish Football Book annual series, editor was Hugh Taylor.

9 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

I found this Rangers-minded blog post ( https://thelowerthirddotnet.wordpress.com/tag/billy-urquhart/ ) which gives a fair record of the 1984 Caledonian/Rangers SC clash.

Noting the referee was Hugh Young (Larkhall) 😁

On 18/06/2022 at 07:10, Jacksgranda said:

I was at Allan Park, this was when Cove were amateurs.

I played quite a few times there when Cove Rangers were in the top amateur league.  I will never forget the first time we played them at our ground (pleasure park) they turned up in a bus and all players and officials wore club jumpers and ties....it was as if Real Madrid had visited the village.

I hated playing at Allan Park a) pitch too wee and b) Cove too good

5 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

I played quite a few times there when Cove Rangers were in the top amateur league.  I will never forget the first time we played them at our ground (pleasure park) they turned up in a bus and all players and officials wore club jumpers and ties....it was as if Real Madrid had visited the village.

I hated playing at Allan Park a) pitch too wee and b) Cove too good

I have no idea of why we ended up there. Drink may well have been taken, (it usually was back then). The most obvious reason is that we knew somebody who was playing, but that rings absolutely no bells whatsoever. Vague recollections it was mid week.

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I'm thinking I've seen that too: perhaps one of the Scottish Football Book annual series, editor was Hugh Taylor.

Noting the referee was Hugh Young (Larkhall) 😁

Spotted that; just a wee bit of insurance by the SFA. 😉

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Obviously not the edition you’re talking about, but I have one of the Hugh Taylor books.

CF1F53A2-B804-42CE-9AE7-A866E25988EF.jpeg

Forgotten footballers who were actually quite good. Dumbarton legend Stuart MacIver who scored goals for the Sons in all three divisions. Signed in 1984 in the Premier League and ended up with Dumbarton as also-rans in the basement.

I also for some reason quite liked this bright gold Dumarton shirt sponsored by Polaroid.

Left for Clyde in 1992 where he couldn’t buy a goal, wasn’t popular & retired. Not sure what he’s doing with himself now.

C2298DC1-825E-4C87-AEFD-3FE384ABF8F5.jpeg

21 hours ago, Piquet said:

Might have been these two photographs from the excellent "Your Old Stadium" thread? It's well worth a read and is in the Gold Forum.

QP in action at Hampden in 1975. 

https://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php?/topic/209779-your-old-stadium/&do=findComment&comment=9915962

c4a864f4949b8391ebf0c1eab9b1034b.jpg
Admittedly, stolen from a scottish football Facebook page. A rundown of appearances in the 79-80 season. Aberdeen were champions. Hibs and Dundee relegated. United won their first ever scottish league cup.

6 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Forgotten footballers who were actually quite good. Dumbarton legend Stuart MacIver who scored goals for the Sons in all three divisions. Signed in 1984 in the Premier League and ended up with Dumbarton as also-rans in the basement.

I also for some reason quite liked this bright gold Dumarton shirt sponsored by Polaroid.

Left for Clyde in 1992 where he couldn’t buy a goal, wasn’t popular & retired. Not sure what he’s doing with himself now.

C2298DC1-825E-4C87-AEFD-3FE384ABF8F5.jpeg

Same shade of amber as the Meadowbank Thistle Umbro strip of that era and a classic.

I think we were linked to signing Stuart McIver too (made up Record bollox probably). Good player what I remember of him 

3 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Same shade of amber as the Meadowbank Thistle Umbro strip of that era and a classic.

I think we were linked to signing Stuart McIver too (made up Record bollox probably). Good player what I remember of him 

I remember that Meadowbank strip being sponsored by the Raj.

The heady days of McQueen, Lawrence and McGachie.

He also nearly signed for St Etienne along with two other Sons players of the time.Allan Moore and Steve McCahill. All three went for trials and it was apparently virtually a done deal but fell through at the last minute

On 31/05/2022 at 21:53, Ivo den Bieman said:

Some more on London Caledonian FC, the amateur team for Scots in London, founded in 1886 and a famous non league side until the middle 1920s, after which they went into decline, and didn't re-emerge after WW2.

There was an earlier side; United London Scottish, formed 1883, playing at  Queen's Park (in West Kilburn, I wonder if there was something of a sentimental choice in using it), wearing navy blue jerseys with a thistle embroidered thereon, and who lasted until 1887.  I assume they folded into the Caleys.

On 02/06/2022 at 13:00, Ivo den Bieman said:

Forgotten careers: Neil McBain (1895-1974). McBain begain at Ayr (first picture, taken 1920) before going on to play for Man U, Everton, St. Johnstone and Watford, and seemingly retired from playing in 1931.

McBain joined Ayr Utd before World War 1 started; there cannot be many professional careers that went from before that war until after the Second.

New Brighton were the second club from the area to be in the League; New Brighton Tower had a couple of seasons in the 1900s, very well backed, but the crowds were not there.  The idea was to have a winter entertainment in the seaside resort but frankly Birkenhead is worth avoiding at the best of times, let alone of a January afternoon.

On 17/06/2022 at 10:24, Ivo den Bieman said:

They last flickered into national prominence in 1932 when they battled their way through to a cup tie at Highbury against Arsenal, which they ended up losing 1-11. However Arsenal were so "impressed with Darwen's sportmanship" that they donated a set of red shirts with white sleeves to their beaten opponents. Darwen, who had in the past favoured Queen's Park-style hoops and a fetching pink shirt (hence their nickname "The Salmoners"), wear Arsenal-style tops to this day.

The pink was for League matches only; there was a regulation that clubs had to have different kits registered.  Although I'm not sure how that worked with Bolton and PNE.  But I did see a football card once that suggested Wanderers had halves for one season.  Eventually the League dropped that regulation because they had too many clubs to make it work.

Blackburn Rovers were utter b*****ds in the 1880s.  They nakedly poached Suter, they pinched a load of other players, killed Blackburn Olympic by buying most of their team when professionalism was banned, constantly paying under the counter when professionalism was not legal...and campaigned against professionalism with the FA to stop anyone else from trying to do what they were doing.  They even moved to Ewood Park to cut the ground from under Darwen's feet (the ground was much closer to Darwen than the old Leamington Rd one had been).   Them, Preston, Bolton, Vile, Albion, and Birmingham St George's were all cheating the amateur rules massively.   You'd've heard a lot more of St George's had it not been for MacGregor wanting to make the League a franchise, so vetoing any other Birmingham clubs from being in it (even though they were from Smethwick - but they had started off in Aston).  By the time they were on the cusp of joining the League, the backer (Harry Mitchell, the brewer) was dying and therefore losing interest.

But their demise meant the precarious survival of Small Heath Alliance, who could not afford their players, but who had one less distraction in the back yard.

11 hours ago, bluearmyfaction said:

but frankly Birkenhead is worth avoiding at the best of times, let alone of a January afternoon.

Birkenhead still has a Wimpy but the rest is true. Having been there It's particularly grim on a Sunday afternoon