A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

6 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Forgotten footballers who were actually quite good. Dumbarton legend Stuart MacIver who scored goals for the Sons in all three divisions. Signed in 1984 in the Premier League and ended up with Dumbarton as also-rans in the basement.

I also for some reason quite liked this bright gold Dumarton shirt sponsored by Polaroid.

Left for Clyde in 1992 where he couldn’t buy a goal, wasn’t popular & retired. Not sure what he’s doing with himself now.

C2298DC1-825E-4C87-AEFD-3FE384ABF8F5.jpeg

Same shade of amber as the Meadowbank Thistle Umbro strip of that era and a classic.

I think we were linked to signing Stuart McIver too (made up Record bollox probably). Good player what I remember of him 

3 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Same shade of amber as the Meadowbank Thistle Umbro strip of that era and a classic.

I think we were linked to signing Stuart McIver too (made up Record bollox probably). Good player what I remember of him 

I remember that Meadowbank strip being sponsored by the Raj.

The heady days of McQueen, Lawrence and McGachie.

He also nearly signed for St Etienne along with two other Sons players of the time.Allan Moore and Steve McCahill. All three went for trials and it was apparently virtually a done deal but fell through at the last minute

On 31/05/2022 at 21:53, Ivo den Bieman said:

Some more on London Caledonian FC, the amateur team for Scots in London, founded in 1886 and a famous non league side until the middle 1920s, after which they went into decline, and didn't re-emerge after WW2.

There was an earlier side; United London Scottish, formed 1883, playing at  Queen's Park (in West Kilburn, I wonder if there was something of a sentimental choice in using it), wearing navy blue jerseys with a thistle embroidered thereon, and who lasted until 1887.  I assume they folded into the Caleys.

On 02/06/2022 at 13:00, Ivo den Bieman said:

Forgotten careers: Neil McBain (1895-1974). McBain begain at Ayr (first picture, taken 1920) before going on to play for Man U, Everton, St. Johnstone and Watford, and seemingly retired from playing in 1931.

McBain joined Ayr Utd before World War 1 started; there cannot be many professional careers that went from before that war until after the Second.

New Brighton were the second club from the area to be in the League; New Brighton Tower had a couple of seasons in the 1900s, very well backed, but the crowds were not there.  The idea was to have a winter entertainment in the seaside resort but frankly Birkenhead is worth avoiding at the best of times, let alone of a January afternoon.

On 17/06/2022 at 10:24, Ivo den Bieman said:

They last flickered into national prominence in 1932 when they battled their way through to a cup tie at Highbury against Arsenal, which they ended up losing 1-11. However Arsenal were so "impressed with Darwen's sportmanship" that they donated a set of red shirts with white sleeves to their beaten opponents. Darwen, who had in the past favoured Queen's Park-style hoops and a fetching pink shirt (hence their nickname "The Salmoners"), wear Arsenal-style tops to this day.

The pink was for League matches only; there was a regulation that clubs had to have different kits registered.  Although I'm not sure how that worked with Bolton and PNE.  But I did see a football card once that suggested Wanderers had halves for one season.  Eventually the League dropped that regulation because they had too many clubs to make it work.

Blackburn Rovers were utter b*****ds in the 1880s.  They nakedly poached Suter, they pinched a load of other players, killed Blackburn Olympic by buying most of their team when professionalism was banned, constantly paying under the counter when professionalism was not legal...and campaigned against professionalism with the FA to stop anyone else from trying to do what they were doing.  They even moved to Ewood Park to cut the ground from under Darwen's feet (the ground was much closer to Darwen than the old Leamington Rd one had been).   Them, Preston, Bolton, Vile, Albion, and Birmingham St George's were all cheating the amateur rules massively.   You'd've heard a lot more of St George's had it not been for MacGregor wanting to make the League a franchise, so vetoing any other Birmingham clubs from being in it (even though they were from Smethwick - but they had started off in Aston).  By the time they were on the cusp of joining the League, the backer (Harry Mitchell, the brewer) was dying and therefore losing interest.

But their demise meant the precarious survival of Small Heath Alliance, who could not afford their players, but who had one less distraction in the back yard.

11 hours ago, bluearmyfaction said:

but frankly Birkenhead is worth avoiding at the best of times, let alone of a January afternoon.

Birkenhead still has a Wimpy but the rest is true. Having been there It's particularly grim on a Sunday afternoon 

On 18/06/2022 at 23:07, Arch Stanton said:

Billy Johnston front centre. Was a great player for Saints during the 76/77 1st Division championship.

Here he is in the 1976 Xmas Day game at Kilbowie, a 2-2 draw.

My All Time Favourite Saints Player…..loved to watch Billy who as you can guess made a huge impression on me 👏👏👏⚽

On 19/06/2022 at 12:38, Ivo den Bieman said:

Forgotten footballers who were actually quite good. Dumbarton legend Stuart MacIver who scored goals for the Sons in all three divisions. Signed in 1984 in the Premier League and ended up with Dumbarton as also-rans in the basement.

I also for some reason quite liked this bright gold Dumarton shirt sponsored by Polaroid.

Left for Clyde in 1992 where he couldn’t buy a goal, wasn’t popular & retired. Not sure what he’s doing with himself now.

C2298DC1-825E-4C87-AEFD-3FE384ABF8F5.jpeg

Aye, as someone has already noted, Stuarty was destined for a bright future but it never fully materialised.  He was a fine player for us though, wiry with a turn of pace and with the striker's positional instinct.

He worked locally at Polaroid and maybe the regular overtime became more valuable than the fitba, who knows.

If you like a nice strip, check out our 150th Anniversary specials, soon to be released.

18 hours ago, bluearmyfaction said:

McBain joined Ayr Utd before World War 1 started; there cannot be many professional careers that went from before that war until after the Second.

New Brighton were the second club from the area to be in the League; New Brighton Tower had a couple of seasons in the 1900s, very well backed, but the crowds were not there.  The idea was to have a winter entertainment in the seaside resort but frankly Birkenhead is worth avoiding at the best of times, let alone of a January afternoon.

Birkenhead are Tranmere Rovers. New Brighton is a separate town altogether.

25 minutes ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

Demolition of Love Street.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

That away stand was a bit scary whenever you were celebrating a goal. Pictures don't do justice as to how steep it was. Am I right in saying there was a gym and/or an indoor 5 a side pitch under it?

I get the economics of moving to the new ground, but a real shame more couldn't be/wasn't done to love street. 3 sides would still be workable now and if you could have transported the current main stand there, would be a ground with real character.

Assume Morton must have got rid by now, the stand they bought and no plans still to erect it? 

22 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

That away stand was a bit scary whenever you were celebrating a goal. Pictures don't do justice as to how steep it was. Am I right in saying there was a gym and/or an indoor 5 a side pitch under it?

I get the economics of moving to the new ground, but a real shame more couldn't be/wasn't done to love street. 3 sides would still be workable now and if you could have transported the current main stand there, would be a ground with real character.

Assume Morton must have got rid by now, the stand they bought and no plans still to erect it? 

Yes there was gym hall and small indoor pitch.

The soap dodgers sold off the old love st stand roof last year.

10 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Sight lines from the away stand were streets ahead of those at the current ground. It was a big upgrade on the rest of Love Street with the gym and 5s pitches, as well as the ticket office and a bar of sorts. It was only in use for 14 years.

Morten's plans for the stand never materialised, but they are using the lamps from the floodlights at Cappielow.

5.jpg

Seeing as this is the Queen's (platinum) jubilee year, here is the programme from the Coronation Cup Final of 1953. Probably much to the chagrin of the organisers the finalists were Celtic and Hibs, they had more than likely been hoping for Rangers and Arsenal, both of whom got knocked out at the first stage, by Manchester United and Celtic respectively.

Celtic beat Manchester United in the semi finals, 2-1, and Hibs crushed Newcastle United by 4-0, the same score as United had crushed the Dons. Tottenham Hotspur were the other team, losing to Hibs in a replay in the first round.

Celtic enhanced their cup tradition, winning 2-0 at Hampden in the final, Mochan and Walsh scoring. And Hibs enhanced their reputation of losing finals. 117,060 in attendance.

Some weel kent faces on both sides, Hibs famous five, Tommy Younger in goals, Bobby Combe in the half back line.

Celtic had Bobbys Evans and Collins, Jock Stein (pictured wearing an Albion Rovers strip?), Charlie Tully, the aforementioned Neil Mochan, Bertie Peacock and John McPhail.

Neither Lord McGowan nor Sir George Graham look particularly pleased to have their photos taken and Jimmy McGrory looks like he's been caught doing something illicit, whereas Fred Denovan looks quite pleased with himself.

The advert on the back page would suggest whisky - or at least this brand - was rationed/in short supply.

The usual format of a Hampden cup final programme from the 40s to the 60s.

Image 1 - 1953 CORONATION CUP FINAL CELTIC V HIBERNIAN

Image 2 - 1953 CORONATION CUP FINAL CELTIC V HIBERNIAN

Image 3 - 1953 CORONATION CUP FINAL CELTIC V HIBERNIAN

Image 4 - 1953 CORONATION CUP FINAL CELTIC V HIBERNIAN

Image 5 - 1953 CORONATION CUP FINAL CELTIC V HIBERNIAN

Opening bid on eBay is £99.99 (plus £2.90 p&p), and there are 5 days left for bidding, should you be interested.

ETA: Went for £210.00

Edited by Jacksgranda
Sleppnig

5 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Seeing as this is the Queen's (platinum) jubilee year, here is the programme from the Coronation Cup Final of 1953. Probably much to the chagrin of the organisers the finalists were Celtic and Hibs, they had more than likely been hoping for Rangers and Arsenal, both of whom got knocked out at the first stage, by Manchester United and Celtic respectively.

Celtic beat Manchester United in the semi finals, 2-1, and Hibs crushed Newcastle United by 4-0, the same score as United had crushed the Dons. Tottenham Hotspur were the other team, losing to Hibs in a replay in the first round.

Celtic enhanced their cup tradition, winning 2-0 at Hampden in the final, Mochan and Walsh scoring. And Hibs enhanced their reputation of losing finals. 117,060 in attendance.

Some weel kent faces on both sides, Hibs famous five, Tommy Younger in goals, Bobby Combe in the half back line.

Celtic had Bobbys Evans and Collins, Jock Stein (pictured wearing an Albion Rovers strip?), Charlie Tully, the aforementioned Neil Mochan, Bertie Peacock and John McPhail.

Neither Lord McGowan nor Sir George Graham look particularly pleased to have their photos taken and Jimmy McGrory looks like he's been caught doing something illicit, whereas Fred Denovan looks quite pleased with himself.

The advert on the back page would suggest whisky - or at least this brand - was rationed/in short supply.

Opening bid on eBay is £99.99 (plus £2.90 p&p), and there are 5 days left for bidding, should you be interested.

Celtic have a familiar badge there.

The programme editor has allocated the cost of arms of the City of Edinburgh to Hibs- the Edinburgh and District FA used this.

Some Hibs historian on here may clarify but I'm not sure Hibs ever used that badge.

5 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Linesman R H Davidson of Airdrie was a regular referee during my early years following Aberdeen. And in particular he put in a tremendous performance in the 1970 Scottish Cup Final.