A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

2 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

I used to love those season appearance matrices, league stalwarts & 1-appearance YTS boys, never to be seen again, alike.

If people wanted the league review back I am sure it could be done on a crowdfunding / print on demand basis  if there was goodwill from the club secretaries / chairmen for content. “The Pie & Bovril Scottish Football League Review” has a certain ring to it. Could even just be a downloadble .pdf / kindle for digital natives who cba with books.

It would be a fun project for a few volunteers in a working group.

Tagging @Divbecause this is such a top idea.

5 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Maybe I'm reading too much into the opening paragraph of the editorial, but is this Third Lanark's first ever programme?  "Once again we have made a start to a new Season and this being our first issue of the Club Programme..." I probably am.

League Cup sectional tie with Celtic, plenty of reading, but my one gripe with Thirds' programmes over the years (and Clyde's up until the 70s) was the lack of fixtures/results and league tables. Whatever happened to Kelty Rangers? Were they a juvenile side, rather than junior? 

I have a Junior Cup Final programme from a match involving Kelty Hearts and in a potted history it says that Kelty Hearts started as a juvenile side called Kelty Rangers but were required to change their name on joining the Fife Juniors as a previous Kelty Rangers had gone bust, owing money.

16 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

The other David Moyes (Berwick, Dunfermline, Meadowbank) from a League Review book

185067635_IMG_20220607_235009533_MP2.thumb.jpg.9a9699a7d3c6519347dcabb13bed92a0.jpg

A hard B. of a midfielder he was slightly before my time but a cult hero with Meadowbank fans.

That top was Berwick’s the season I really started paying attention to football I think; 83/84…

Just now, Ivo den Bieman said:

That top was Berwick’s the season I really started paying attention to football I think; 83/84…

They must have got good wear out of it, the photo is in the 88/89 League Review book :lol:

6 hours ago, tamthebam said:

The other David Moyes (Berwick, Dunfermline, Meadowbank) from a League Review book

185067635_IMG_20220607_235009533_MP2.thumb.jpg.9a9699a7d3c6519347dcabb13bed92a0.jpg

A hard B. of a midfielder he was slightly before my time but a cult hero with Meadowbank fans.

It's  not making me think of booking a caravan at Berwick Holiday Centre.

It's  saying, come to Berwick, I'll  kick your teeth in.

8 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I have a Junior Cup Final programme from a match involving Kelty Hearts and in a potted history it says that Kelty Hearts started as a juvenile side called Kelty Rangers but were required to change their name on joining the Fife Juniors as a previous Kelty Rangers had gone bust, owing money.

Seems to be a recurring theme...

8 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

20 years after me! :o

On 07/06/2022 at 08:06, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Both images from the 86-87 edition, i.e. reviewing season 85-86.

20220607_080250.jpg

14 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Looks like the ground in the Bernie Slaven pic on the last page is old Ochilview after all!

I'm 100% certain that it isn't Ochilview. The Jim Sinnet/Sammy Conn picture is from Cliftonhill, I'm sure. 

The dugouts at Stenhousemuir were attached to the old stand. See the photo of Tony Spiers playing there in 1990.

1990 Ochilview Tony Spiers.jpg

9 hours ago, tamthebam said:

There were two Kelty Rangers, one went out the game in 1929, the other in 1970 after 40 years. I think they were a junior side, as they recorded a crowd of 3000 in a match v Valleyfield Colliery in the Scottish Junior Cup, but later turned juvenile and became nomadic. There was also a Kelty North End Rangers, which probably merged into the second Kelty Rangers after the Second World War.

Given the date Kelty Rangers (the junior side) went burst in 1970, with Kelty Hearts formed in 1975, juvenile side which evolved into Hearts may have been loosely related to the bankrupt team.

Some more from the wee card archive. The Killie cigarette card is courtesy of Grandfather who left us hundreds of such cards before dying of lung cancer. Sadly he didn't smoke more F&J Smiths so this is the sole football survivor.

image.thumb.jpeg.0f9c367a1c6b71b17703cd732b6a7aba.jpeg

More viewable online of course  eg (https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/Sport-Football-Collectable-Smith-Cigarette-Cards/79971/bn_18038421) These two are more recent. The "High Catch" card doesn't mention the need to keep you knees up to protect yourself and inflict maximum damage on onrushing Number 9s.

image.thumb.jpeg.d8c7d6aa815b9df387412a7565a60a09.jpeg

Edited by House Bartender
Added ebay link

17 minutes ago, House Bartender said:

Some more from the wee card archive. The Killie cigarette card is courtesy of Grandfather who left us hundreds of such cards before dying of lung cancer. Sadly he didn't smoke more F&J Smiths so this is the sole football survivor.

More viewable online of course  eg (https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/Sport-Football-Collectable-Smith-Cigarette-Cards/79971/bn_18038421) These two are more recent. The "High Catch" card doesn't mention the need to keep you knees up to protect yourself and inflict maximum damage on onrushing Number 9s.

image.thumb.jpeg.d8c7d6aa815b9df387412a7565a60a09.jpeg

Looks like Killie were very poor in away games that season, and only a solid home record saved them from the drop.

Climbed into the loft and rescued this, which was the first Scottish Football League Review published for season 1980-81. Forword by James Farry, and priced at £2, it helped you find nearest branches of the Clydesdale Bank, nearly all closed down now, like the SFL itself.

There's a double page spread for each team, in alphabetical order per league. Pages are too big for my scanner, but I could photograph a few as samples.

DSCN4458.JPG

Climbed into the loft and rescued this, which was the first Scottish Football League Review published for season 1980-81. Forword by James Farry, and priced at £2, it helped you find nearest branches of the Clydesdale Bank, nearly all closed down now, like the SFL itself.
There's a double page spread for each team, in alphabetical order per league. Pages are too big for my scanner, but I could photograph a few as samples.
DSCN4458.thumb.JPG.9a702a3db7f55a43d69aaeb3a1a08ad7.JPG

Just noticed that the photos on the cover show some of the biggest teams in Scotland at the time and a certain city has no representation!

4 hours ago, House Bartender said:

"Edinburgh Hibernians" indeed.

3 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

DSCN4458.JPG

See the source image

Just now, House Bartender said:

And it's plain old "Celtic" as opposed to "Glasgow Rangers" (remember them?). Didn't they both once prefix with the town name?

I think Celtic always preferred "Celtic".