A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

On 06/06/2022 at 15:25, Ivo den Bieman said:

The dugouts are on the wrong side and even though Cliftonhill was regarded as a neglected dump back then by many, it was never on the point of going back to nature, like this ground.

Below was Cliftonhill at the beginning of the 1980s, and the main stand behind Tommy Gemmell's team of 1985/86 (the late Sammy Conn sat next to the chairman in the front row, and "Vodka Vic" back right). Although rudimentary the ground seems to have been kept as well as was possible.

albion-rovers-fc-cliftonhill-park-main-stand-1-august-1981-legendary-football-grounds.jpg.9b79aa556b890df5f9d9c6df33d50471.jpgalbion-rovers-1985-86.thumb.png.73c0caef692c031e4c9fb6f3392f24aa.png

"The state of that 'stache"

image.png.f603b0eb1675b5ba2a147e8714b5fcba.png

39 minutes ago, Willie adie said:

I eventually managed to track down all editions of the "Bible" of Scottish football, the internet has given us so much but  the league review is one thing I sadly miss from the game, I used to look forward to my annual letter to the Peter Donald from the SFL to enquire as to the release date and order details of the league review

For about 4 or 5 years after the last one in 2006 or thereabouts, I used to write annually to the SFL/SPL asking for its return. Sadly, the polite reponses were always negative. A mighty loss to the game, these books.

Just now, Ranaldo Bairn said:

My pleasure.

Happy to dig out and give a new lease of life to any requests folk might have. Otherwise I might just do an occasional series.

How about the Hibs page from the 88/89 edition listing Andy Goran's goal v Morton from the previous season?

5 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

My pleasure.

Happy to dig out and give a new lease of life to any requests folk might have. Otherwise I might just do an occasional series.

Just open them up and post random pages.

I used to love those season appearance matrices, league stalwarts & 1-appearance YTS boys, never to be seen again, alike.

If people wanted the league review back I am sure it could be done on a crowdfunding / print on demand basis  if there was goodwill from the club secretaries / chairmen for content. “The Pie & Bovril Scottish Football League Review” has a certain ring to it. Could even just be a downloadble .pdf / kindle for digital natives who cba with books.

It would be a fun project for a few volunteers in a working group.

Maybe I'm reading too much into the opening paragraph of the editorial, but is this Third Lanark's first ever programme?  "Once again we have made a start to a new Season and this being our first issue of the Club Programme..." I probably am.

League Cup sectional tie with Celtic, plenty of reading, but my one gripe with Thirds' programmes over the years (and Clyde's up until the 70s) was the lack of fixtures/results and league tables. Whatever happened to Kelty Rangers? Were they a juvenile side, rather than junior? With the current controversy - at least on P&B - about "B" teams, it is interesting to note that Thirds' reserves would be playing in C Division. 2/6d (12 1/2p) for 33 weeks got you guaranteed away transport to all games.

Celtic were getting late penalties even before the war...

6p for 10 cigarettes.

I don't recognise any of the Thirds' players, apart from Jimmy Mason mentioned in the text, but I recognise Bobby Evans, Bobby Collins, Bertie Peacock and Charlie Tully in the Celtic line up. Is that Sean Fallon at full back rather than up front?

Image 1 - 1951-52 THIRD LANARK v. CELTIC, Scottish League Cup, very good condition

Image 2 - 1951-52 THIRD LANARK v. CELTIC, Scottish League Cup, very good condition

Image 3 - 1951-52 THIRD LANARK v. CELTIC, Scottish League Cup, very good condition

Image 4 - 1951-52 THIRD LANARK v. CELTIC, Scottish League Cup, very good condition

Image 5 - 1951-52 THIRD LANARK v. CELTIC, Scottish League Cup, very good condition

1 hour ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

I used to love those season appearance matrices, league stalwarts & 1-appearance YTS boys, never to be seen again, alike.

If people wanted the league review back I am sure it could be done on a crowdfunding / print on demand basis  if there was goodwill from the club secretaries / chairmen for content. “The Pie & Bovril Scottish Football League Review” has a certain ring to it. Could even just be a downloadble .pdf / kindle for digital natives who cba with books.

It would be a fun project for a few volunteers in a working group.

Good idea Ivo.

Speaking of PDFs here is one of the London Caledonians history booklet

https://www.scottishsporthistory.com/uploads/3/3/6/0/3360867/london_caledonians_history.pdf

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

Maybe I'm reading too much into the opening paragraph of the editorial, but is this Third Lanark's first ever programme?  "Once again we have made a start to a new Season and this being our first issue of the Club Programme..." I probably am.

Yeah, I'm reading it as the first programme of that season.